Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

UT - Cirion and Eorl - The Tradition of Isildur

I've been working my way through UT again lately. Just finished up Third Age stories. Saw some items of interest in "Cirion and Eorl" - especially in the part "The Tradition of Isildur"

First - when Isildur stayed at Gondor in the start of the Third Age, it says he journeyed around the borders with Meneldil (his nephew - son of Anarion - who was/became King of Gondor) and some friends. While returning from the northern bounds, they came to this hill (eventually Amon Anwar - this hill being the high place nearest to the very center of Gondor's boundaries at this time) - they made a path, then made a level space and raised a mound. THEN - "within the mound, Isildur laid a casket that he bore with him. Then he said, 'This is a tomb and memorial of Elendil the Faithful. ...(the quote continues)' "

So... did Isildur bring Elendil's body with him as he toured the borders of Gondor? If he did - was this some way of laying claim on the lands to the heirs of Elendil? Maybe especially since Elendil had ruled in the north - and had only come to Gondor for the war, in which he died at the last battle? Or - is there a little summarizing going on, and maybe he sent for Elendil's body while they began work on the path and level place?

Did they bring "some guys" - regular people - to do the physical labor on the mound, or did they do it themselves? It remained a very secret place, and was maybe further hallowed if the efforts of Isildur, Meneldil and other high-ranking Numenoreans did the actual labor?

Second - I notice that Isildur instructs Meneldil on how Kings should visit and bring their heirs when they were full-grown to manhood, and tell them the story of the hallow. At first re-read (this time) I took this as a statement to Meneldil about his own heir - Cemedur, or Kemendur, the son who would succeed him, would have been about 43-44 at this time (according to POME), so certainly grown to full manhood. But I now see this was a general statement for all kings to come. I wonder if Cemendur was there...

Anyway - Thirdly - of course things changed over time, and the Stewards came to consider it their duty to continue the traditions laid out by Isildur for the Kings. Then Cirion really turned the old tradition on its ear (really - "voided" it, as the text states) with his new arrangement with Eorl, due to the changed circumstances Gondor found itself in - some 2500 years after Isildur had established this tradition.

What I had not noticed before was that Cirion afterwards removed the tomb of Elendil. I suppose he was laid to rest in Rath Dinen, along with the subsequent rulers of Gondor.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote