Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM   #21
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'll try and get a chapter division up soon. I would suggest though -for now- to limit everyone to one chapter each so everyone has an equal chance at reviewing chapters. At least in the beginning, if some chapters remain open, then naturally people can do more than one chapter.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #22
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I would suggest though -for now- to limit everyone to one chapter each so everyone has an equal chance at reviewing chapters.
This is perfectly fair If i can do no other, i'd be most heartbroken if i couldn't do the Description of Numenor.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #23
Earniel

There, I've listed the chapters in the first post of this thread, together with information. I think I have covered about everything. I've decided to split up the Narn I Nîn Húrin because it's far longer than all other chapters. Any other suggestions?

I haven't filled in any names yet, so if those who expressed an interest in a chapter could confirm them taking the chapter, I'll start adding the names.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #24
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

It's more than a little heart-breaking, but I'll take "Disaster of the Gladden" - unless someone else wants it in a bad way.

I notice you give some 3-week periods and some 2-week periods - and even a 1-week. Was that intentional?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #25
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Earniel, i sent you a PM
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

Old 09-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
It's more than a little heart-breaking, but I'll take "Disaster of the Gladden" - unless someone else wants it in a bad way.
I'll put you up for it for now.

Quote:
I notice you give some 3-week periods and some 2-week periods - and even a 1-week. Was that intentional?
Ah, the 1-week is a mistake, I should correct that. (Note to self: Buy a calendar!)

I had planned to give each chapter two weeks, and the three longer ones: Tuor in Gondolin, Aldarion & Erendis and Galadriel & Celeborn three weeks. I do believe we used two-weeks as standard in the other discussions. I don't know whether three weeks won't be too long, but those chapters do have more material. Or maybe I should rather put each chapter at two weeks, and just delay the next chapter if the discussion is still ongoing. It'll be easier, I suppose, to delay than to speed up. Decisions, decisions....
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #27
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Thank you so much, Earniel!

I see but one tiny sticking point...

Quote:
Tentative deadline: 21st December 2009
Is there any possibility of doing this a bit earlier, even just by a few days or a week?

I need to go away that week, as i'm in a wedding this holiday season. I leave on the 26th.

How does December 17th sound?

Last edited by Voronwen : 09-22-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Is the deadline for when the intro should be up so we can start discussing it - or for when we expect to have finished a section/chapter? If the latter, when do you need the Gondolin intro? I'm strongly considering doing it, but I need to reread it first ...

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #29
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
Is there any possibility of doing this a bit earlier, even just by a few days or a week?

I need to go away that week, as i'm in a wedding this holiday season. I leave on the 26th.

How does December 17th sound?
Tentative deadline being tentative, means they're not set in stone. I've only put them up to give people an idea of when they might start with their chapter. At this point all dates are a guestimates, so we'll try and make sure your chapter does not fall too close to your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
Is the deadline for when the intro should be up so we can start discussing it - or for when we expect to have finished a section/chapter? If the latter, when do you need the Gondolin intro? I'm strongly considering doing it, but I need to reread it first ...
The deadlines are meant for the posting of the intro and the start of the discussion. The thread doesn't have to have a definite end, people are naturally allowed to continue discussing old chapters even when newer ones have been posted, or even when all chapters have been handled.

You have decided on Tuor in Gondolin? I'll put your name up. As for the start, as I said to Voronwen, the dates I gave so far are rather more suggestions then fixed dates. So basically, when do you think you can get it ready? I suggested half-way October but preferably (at least, I would prefer it so ), all chapters should be assigned before we start. Or at the very least, Part One and Part Two.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 PM   #30
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
At this point all dates are a guestimates, so we'll try and make sure your chapter does not fall too close to your trip.
Thank you for this! My sister has gone and moved her May wedding date to the week of Christmas and New Year's which has made things crazy enough for all of us who are involved. Now that i have my chapter, i wouldn't want to give it up because of that!

Quote:
The deadlines are meant for the posting of the intro and the start of the discussion. The thread doesn't have to have a definite end, people are naturally allowed to continue discussing old chapters even when newer ones have been posted, or even when all chapters have been handled.
So then technically, i could start mine even earlier?

Last edited by Voronwen : 09-23-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #31
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Well - so far we've got the 3 V's, covering the first assignment from each of the first Three Ages!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #32
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Well - so far we've got the 3 V's
I noticed that!

Quote:
covering the first assignment from each of the first Three Ages!
But i hadn't noticed this! Too funny!

Old 09-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voronwen View Post
So then technically, i could start mine even earlier?
Technically, yes, but you understand that the timing for your chapter is partly dependant on previous chapters. So we'll try to avoid lumping your chapter in your holiday trip, but I can't give an exact date yet for when it will your turn.

Quote:
Well - so far we've got the 3 V's, covering the first assignment from each of the first Three Ages!
Eh, fun!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #34
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Technically, yes, but you understand that the timing for your chapter is partly dependant on previous chapters. So we'll try to avoid lumping your chapter in your holiday trip, but I can't give an exact date yet for when it will your turn.
Yes, that's understandable. I just won't have daily access to a computer while i'm away, so i wouldn't want to start it too close to my departure date and then leave everyone hanging. Thanks for working with it, though.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #35
Varnafindë

Quote:
You have decided on Tuor in Gondolin? I'll put your name up. As for the start, as I said to Voronwen, the dates I gave so far are rather more suggestions then fixed dates. So basically, when do you think you can get it ready? I suggested half-way October but preferably (at least, I would prefer it so ), all chapters should be assigned before we start. Or at the very least, Part One and Part Two.
I should be able to have something up by mid-October.
I'm rereading it now - hadn't read it for some years, and there are lots of things I had forgotten.

It's a shame that it stops before it gets to Gondolin proper, though. I think Christopher agrees ...

Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #36
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

I will try to do "The Hunt"
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:13 AM   #37
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
the 3 V's
And there is a 4th V, my 'twin brother' Varokhar. Hopefully i can entice him to come out of the woodwork and do one of these for you. He's very good with this sort of thing!

**Runs, knowing brother-dear will chide her for volunteering him.**

Old 10-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #38
Varnafindë

We will each start a new thread with our intro - should we choose some consistent way of naming our threads, to make it easier for people to find the right one when they join the project later?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #39
Earniel

Starting a new thread for each chapter will be the easiest, I think. That is how the other discussions were done anyway.

The naming isn't much of a problem, I can always tweak them for consistency afterwards. But it might definitely help if we put 'UT Discussion' in beginning of the title.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #40
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
You have decided on Tuor in Gondolin? I'll put your name up.
I can't believe you let someone take Tuor away from you!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote