Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-10-2001, 11:15 PM   #1
Nomkaflar

In need of desperate research paper help!

My thesis statement is still subject to change but im thinking of something along the lines of:

J.R.R. Tolkien expresses his personal views of nature and human nature indirectly through his writings

if you can think of a better one feel free to help in any way.....(im not a research paper type of person id rather just do an essay of some form but hey thats highschool for you)

id like to include things like his views on death, beauty, nature, religion, war, social classes, all that good stuff.
i know alot allready from reading his books and about him but like i said... i really suck at writing reasearch papers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

(oh yea... and if you can give me citations on any info it would help me soooooo much more but it isnt necessary)

well thats about it...im sorry that my 1st post is just a desparate call for help but im really looking forward to just getting into some of the topics that on on this board
...and thanks ahead of time to anyone who helps

"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
Old 05-12-2001, 09:32 PM   #2
Michael Martinez

Re: In need of desperate research paper help!

Draw up a list of points in his books that you feel express his views on these topics. It may help if you write each one separately on an index card.

I think you find that once you have 12 to 15 such examples, it will be much easier for you to write your paper.
Old 05-12-2001, 11:49 PM   #3
Inoldonil

Have you read The Tolkien Letters at all? It has lots of great information of his views about things, and such matters you're looking for that are related to his works.
Old 05-16-2001, 03:27 PM   #4
The Black Lieutenant

Once you've made a list of all the topics you are interested in or want to cover, decide on a central theme, and don't stray from it. Even if you touch upon other topics, they should always be related to the central theme, or argument of your paper. Also, make sure your research paper has a beginning, a middle and an end. It should open with an "interest statement," something to catch the reader's attention, and this should lead directly into a statement of the general theme of the report. The conclusion should be concise and summarize the central argument.

Ha ha! Just kidding, I know you weren't asking how to write a research paper, just what to write it on. If you want my advice, you should write one on the nature of evil in Tolkien's work.