The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 12:25 AM   #62
Oliver Thornton
Sapling

Gandalf

I must say he truthfully was an amzing character.
I suspect he had conquered an evil greater than the rings and Sarumon before he met the hobbits.
Old 12-18-2001, 05:17 AM   #63
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Back here again are we? Actually I was going to reopen it anyway because I found a quote from Gandalf in 'The White Rider'. Gandalf says that Treebeard is the oldest living thing in middle earth. If this is true then Bombadil must be younger, so he can't be Illuvatar or any of the Maia or Valar.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 08:50 AM   #64
Lightice
Elven Warrior

No, Treebeard is oldest LIVING thing. Bombadil's a spirit on my opinion. Although I think that's a glitch from Tolkien. He did also first say, that Sauron doesn't allow writing his true name or saying it, but his servant is still called Mouth of Sauron.
I believe, that Bombadil's actually spirit of world itself. Varda. That has little of every creature in him. That's why no living ever harms him and such small thing as the Ring has no effect on him. Also, at Council of Elrond it was said, that Bombadil can't resist Sauron, if Earth itself isn't that strong, and Sauron can torture even mountains themselves.
To that I place this belief.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 09:00 AM   #65
Hirwinion
Sapling

Bombadil

The best guess is that Tom Bombadil is a maiar. I have read papers that state he be Aule or even that he could Eru. Tolkien left his nature in an ambiguous state because he wanted to. Some things were better left for the reader to puzzle over. Recall there are lots of spirits that were summoned to ME not only Vala, Maia but the ents were summoned by Yavanna. Carahardras the Mtn on FotR is ascribed an almost sentinent quality in the attack on the fellowship. Bombadil could be a primeaval spirit not of ASman but of ME placed there by Eru without the knowledge, directly,anyway, of the Powers. The bottlom line is Tom can be whatewver you want him to be. If Maia, spirit, Vala etc..
In actuality he was a doll the Tolkiens purchased in Holland.
Quote:
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry old fellow: bight blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow.
Hirwinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 01:25 PM   #66
Gandalf
Hobbit

Gandalf

Hehe, oldest living thing ...

Anyhoo, at a certain point it even occured to me that Bombadil was Middle Earth itself. It doesn't really make sense, but I think it's an interesting thing to consider. Why do the trees and all other living things like him that much? Why didn't he get wet from running through the rain? I don't think it's that easy to control not only the train, but also to have some control over the entire woods (he doesn't control it technically speaking, but he *is* it) ...

But Tom isn't the most interesting character ... I find Goldberry to be more interesting ... very very little is known about her! I mean who is *she*?
Gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2001, 09:47 PM   #67
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

There's another ancient thread about Tom lying around in which MM and I get into it about him. It was pretty much proved there that Tom can't be a Maia. He first existed long after Arda was created.

Tom as the earth itself: I find some problems with this theory (other than the info. posted in the other thread referred to above). Not all the trees -- nor do all other living things -- like Tom. Think of Old Man Willow, or Saruman. Saruman couldn't have liked Tom, not if he met him. Not the fallen Saruman. As for the rain, I don't think that shows any earthy trait. The earth gets wet.

As you say, he _doesn't_ control the woods, he doesn't even own them and I can't agree that he can control the rain. He even told the hobbits 'I'm no weather-master'. He can ward off the rain, obviously, but that also is not something the earth or the woods themselves can do.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:03 AM   #68
Agburanar
Elf Lord

It seems that Tom is a kind of anti earth.
Old 12-19-2001, 08:26 AM   #69
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

Who Is Tom Bombadil?
Someone pasted this lengthy, but engaging essay by Gene Hargrove into a thread here previously. Hargrove examines many of the same theories that we've been discussing here, casting his lot most persuasively with the "Tom is Maiar" crowd.
As expressed above, Bombadil's unexplained nature, leaving us guessing really spices up the book. As with life, if we could understand and know everything in LOTR, it would never continue to be so damn interesting. As radical as the Bombadil as Witch King sounds, the simple fact that someone can launch interesting arguments along these lines attests to the success of this "anomilous" character.
Old 12-19-2001, 05:52 PM   #70
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I think the most interesting aspect of TB is not who he was, but why he was not effected by the ring... Most people seem to think it is because he was in some way all-powerful, or at least very powerful... I don't really buy this. I think the real reason the ring had no power over him, is because he had no need for it. Everyone from Frodo to Gandalf had something more they wanted to achieve... aspirations for the ring to work it's evil upon. TB was 100% satisfied with his life as is, so to him, the ring was no more than a band of gold.
brownjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 08:19 PM   #71
Quickbeam
Hobbit

witch king

thois is replying to the theory that tb could be the witch king. Well maybe the reason he helped frodo, and then tried to hurt him, is where he was. Remember how he wouldn't go any farther than his "boindaries". Maybe once he stepped out, he would be the witch king, and once in the boundaries, he is tom. If this is not true, Then why will he only stay within that area??????
Quickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 10:23 AM   #72
Agburanar
Elf Lord

He talks to Farmer Maggot though sometimes. Does he leave the forest or does Maggot go to him?
Old 12-22-2001, 01:35 PM   #73
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel

it's been awile since i read it but to me it was basically Tom runing around the country side visting 'old man willow' and Farmer Maggot and other people/hobbits/trees and i remember him boating down the winthywindle (spelling)
Old 12-23-2001, 12:54 AM   #74
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
I think the most interesting aspect of TB is not who he was, but why he was not effected by the ring... Most people seem to think it is because he was in some way all-powerful, or at least very powerful... I don't really buy this. I think the real reason the ring had no power over him, is because he had no need for it. Everyone from Frodo to Gandalf had something more they wanted to achieve... aspirations for the ring to work it's evil upon. TB was 100% satisfied with his life as is, so to him, the ring was no more than a band of gold.

I agree absolutely. the Ring only has power over those who desire power in some shape or form. this why hobbits are much less affected by it than the other peoples of middle-earth. where elves want knowledge & beauty, men want glory, dwarves want craftsmanship or whatever, hobbits only want their six meals a day and a quiet life. tom bombadil, meanwhile, is so much a part of nature that he has no need of modern magical or mechanical things. what could the Ring possibly give him? he has no ambition; basically, he wants nothing.

here's an interesting question: how would the Ring affect an Ent?
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 03:42 PM   #75
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Thats a really good question. Umm....I guess they want Orcs out of Middle Earth, they really didn't like them...what else....OOOO!!!! They do want something! THE ENTWIVES! So, it wouldn't effect them much, but Ents do want some things, so I guess in a small way it would affect them.
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 05:53 PM   #76
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
Thats a really good question. Umm....I guess they want Orcs out of Middle Earth, they really didn't like them...what else....OOOO!!!! They do want something! THE ENTWIVES! So, it wouldn't effect them much, but Ents do want some things, so I guess in a small way it would affect them.
You are forgetting that nobody can actually use the ring to get what they want, it uses them. The ents would be corrupted to do what the ring wants just like anything else.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2001, 01:05 PM   #77
crow
Hobbit

Location: Connecticut, USA, though I suspect my soul longs for another place. Oxford, say.
Tom is stated as being the master (whatever that means) of an area of land between the Shire and Bree. I am cautious about defining him, but he seems to be a sort of spirit, physical manifestation, what-have-you, of the Old Forest, just as Goldberry is the spirit of the river, or the pool or somesuch. A naiad, as I believe the Ancient Greeks would have put it. Just as the Old Forest is one of the last remnants of a vast wood that once spanned a huge portion of Middle Earth, so Tom is the diminished spirit and master of that wood. He is outside of good and evil as it is found in Middle Earth. He aided the Frodo and Co. because they were harmless. He would not cooperate with Sauron because the Dark Lord would surely destroy the Old Forest. But I say this only as tentative speculation.
Old 01-01-2002, 11:19 PM   #78
Oliver Thornton
Sapling

Gandalf

I just found out something I think all of us have missed!!!
Tom Bomadil is Beorn!!!!!!
His wife is goldberry or whatever berry she is and she controls rain beorn controls most animals.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:08 AM   #79
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

huh???
goldberry controls rain? beorn controls animals?
he can turn into a bear and talk to animals but i don't think that's the same as controlling them.
besides, how would that prove that he's bombadil?
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:42 AM   #80
Oliver Thornton
Sapling

Gandalf

Tom probably doesn't control animals but I know Goldberry controls enough rain to do her cleaning outside.
Tom is called by many other names.