FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM   #31
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post
Have YOU read the books, darling?
I first read The Hobbit long before your parents met, Gordis, I'll betcha. If 33 is the coming of age, it corresponds to 18-21. That's the age Frodo is when Bilbo leaves. He has the Ring (which extends life) and hobbits age slower than today's men, so he continues to have the appearance of a very young man. You couldn't cast it older than 30. I can understand why they didn't cast someone actually 18-20, because people are still growing at that point, and the years filming would show. But not everyone is Micky Rooney, to play juveniles, forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer View Post
Siscuza is right (except about Frodo's age... ) about art, but IMO I think you can convey the spirit of a story in a film much more effectively than was achieved on LOTR. And that's even with the hack & slash factor.

In fact, if they had been less concerned about the purists ("oh, we'll get our arses kicked if we don't include Treebeard", for example) they might have produced a better film. On the other hand, the stuff they did add was pretty gash on the whole and did not bode well for a major reworking.
Possibly. It's an enormous undertaking. I went to the movies with people who knew the material inside and out, and with people who had no clue. Both could follow the action, which was a point in its favor, I think. PJ made different choices than I would, but I'm sure my choices would be equally unpopular

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote