Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #29
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
Okay but seriously, in making the movie he didn't actually ruin the book in any way. Tolkien's works are completely unharmed, so where's the harm right?
He did ruin a lot. OK, there are lots of people who would buy and read the books after seeing the movies - but how many would not? How many will think they KNOW Tolkien because they have only seen the movies? We meet such again and again on all the forums - they are a plague.

And I have to pity even those who have read the books after the movies - because they would always see twisted Denethor's face, twisted Elrond's face, stupid Frodo's bulging blue eyes - instead of images Tolkien wished to convey. That is the power of ready images - unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmer
Oh, for goodness sake! Give him a credit. Without his brave undertaking of this heavy load, you, people, probably would be living until your gray hair on futile hopes that someday someone will make the book alive.
Brave? - the guy simply wished to make money and gain fame! How many knew about PJ before the LOTR movies? And tell me, please, HOW MANY of you would go watch the movies if they were NOT presented as an adaptation of Tolkien? I wouldn't go for sure - as I will never go watch other movies made by PJ. The movies were a success because of Tolkien's name , not Peter Jackson's.

Owing everything to Tolkien, PJ should have had some decency in treating his work - but he has ruined everything! There is hardly a character that was not twisted: Denethor, Elrond, Arwen, Gimli, Faramir being the most glaring examples. How did you like the noble King Aragorn killing the Mouth during a parley? - It is wrong on SO many levels, just don't get me started.

PJ claimed he had to omit a lot of original material (Tom, Crickhollow, the Scouring etc. ) because there was not enough time. OK with me - sound explanation. But then why in Ungoliant did he use the precious remaining time to show his own stupid additions: Arwen being bound to the ring (), then going to Havens, then returning, Aragorn musing : to be or not to be ... King, Aragorn falling from the cliff and kissing a horse, Faramir taking Frodo to Osgoliath, Frodo sending Sam away etc. PJ did find time for his own stuff - and had the gall to say he had IMPROVED the story!

Last edited by Gordis : 12-22-2007 at 05:59 PM.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote