Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 AM   #141
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
I'm guessing the Catherine Tate Show, featuring (among others) the magnificent Nan Taylor.
Goofball!

I think I would have figured that one out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draken View Post
Rian, they filmed a lot of Jude here at Durham. I often cross the bridge where he had a scene with Kate Winslet.
Oh, that's always fun to recognize things like that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I once saw a younger Catherine Tate in an Agatha Christie movie as a paranoid russian housemaid. Rubbish russian accent, was rather hilarious.
Oh yeah - that was IT!!!!!! THAT'S where I saw her!! Yay! I would have never remembered that!!

Just saw the mermaid one - it just wasn't the greatest. Good start, good premise, but ... just not spot on. It was a writer that I didn't recognize, either, although I think the director was the same from last week. Anyway ... eh ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #142
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post

Just saw the mermaid one - it just wasn't the greatest. Good start, good premise, but ... just not spot on. It was a writer that I didn't recognize, either, although I think the director was the same from last week. Anyway ... eh ...
I agree that the premise was good. I liked that the Doctor was not always correct. Good that he was willing to change his theories when presented with new data and admit to others that he was wrong. The "mermaid" seemed a bit odd to me. I am not sure how, but I would like it to be done better. I would have liked more information about why the Captain became a pirate.

I think that sometimes with the new DW 1 episode (~44 minutes) is not quite enough time to fully develop some episodes. The pacing of the episodes sometimes appear a bit rushed. One nice thing with the original DW is that the 4 episode format (~90minutes) usually provided enough time for most episodes to be well developed and not seem rushed for time.

On the plus side, the New DW tend to have streamlined plots without unneeded extra material. It is a balancing act. If the writing/acting is well done, I do not mind longer episodes with more detail/extra information.
================================================== ==
From Episode 3 (07MAY2011) I am curious:
  • who the lady with the eye patch was in the episode? She opened a small door to view Amy. I am not sure if it was "real" or Amy dreaming.
  • Why the Doctor is checking if Amy is pregnant on his scanner and what does it mean?

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #143
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I really liked it. Not up to Moffat snuff, certainly, but as noted, a great premise, and I thought it was engaging and well-paced, with some great lines.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #144
Draken
Elf Lord

I quite enjoyed it - a bit of an anticlimax after the opening 2-parter but to be honest there's no way you could sustain that. I have a feeling even these more "run-of-the-mill" episodes will end up resonating more once we see how Moffat ties the series up.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this - but did the Doctor see a lot of himself in a Captain who took a ship and went rogue, leaving those he loved behind? And did the objects-from-two-universes-occupying-the-same-spacetime offer a clue to Amy's pregancy/non-pregnancy?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #145
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
And did the objects-from-two-universes-occupying-the-same-spacetime offer a clue to Amy's pregancy/non-pregnancy?
That's a good point!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #146
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

i just watched the latest episode last night.. can't say i liked it very much. maybe it's just because the first 2 episodes were so awesome, and that i'm not a huge fan of pirate stories. and i think the actor who played the siren/doctor also was in the vampire episode..

and did they just lose a character, or am i forgetful? during the scene where amy, rory, the boy and 2 of the pirates are hiding in the gunpowder room, and the boy gives one of the pirates a cut, the unhurt one runs out (and eventually is taken by the siren). the other pirate stays in the room with them, right, and nothing happens to him? and then we don't see him anymore.
i must be forgetting something, or they just forgot about a character, which seems quite unlikely.

i think i also wasn't a huge fan of the episode since it was quite predictable.. many times we figured out what would happen way ahead of time.

i do wonder, though, if the fact that the tardis behaved weirdly is something that will come up later..

and the woman behind the little door makes me think that amy is in a prison/mental hospital or something.. the woman is looking in at her, and she seems to be comforting her. does this have something to do with amy's pregnancy?

it's nice, though, now both amy and the doctor have something they're trying to hide from each other..

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:10 AM   #147
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
i'm not a huge fan of pirate stories.
Ah yes but Amy dressed as a pirate.... now you're talking!

....or am I?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #148
Rían

Quote:
and did they just lose a character, or am i forgetful? during the scene where amy, rory, the boy and 2 of the pirates are hiding in the gunpowder room, and the boy gives one of the pirates a cut, the unhurt one runs out (and eventually is taken by the siren). the other pirate stays in the room with them, right, and nothing happens to him? and then we don't see him anymore.
i must be forgetting something, or they just forgot about a character, which seems quite unlikely.
I'll check for that in my rewatch - my middle son is my Dr. Who pal, and I usually get to watch it first (we record it) and then I rewatch it with him because we like watching it together Gotta say - I LOVE LOVE LOVE DVRs!!! No more pulling my mommy hair out when child catastrophes hit in the middle of Dr. Who!

Quote:
and the woman behind the little door makes me think that amy is in a prison/mental hospital or something.. the woman is looking in at her, and she seems to be comforting her. does this have something to do with amy's pregnancy?
Hmm, yeah - that double universe thing is definitely tying things in here. Hey, maybe they'll bump into Rose!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:16 AM   #149
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an View Post
I'll check for that in my rewatch - my middle son is my Dr. Who pal, and I usually get to watch it first (we record it) and then I rewatch it with him because we like watching it together Gotta say - I LOVE LOVE LOVE DVRs!!! No more pulling my mommy hair out when child catastrophes hit in the middle of Dr. Who!

Hmm, yeah - that double universe thing is definitely tying things in here. Hey, maybe they'll bump into Rose!
Or number 10! There's still a copy of him floating around with her, right?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #150
Rían

Yes, but it's a copy with only one heart (Time Lords have two hearts, for the uninitiated)- it's not an official Time Lord. It's a human version that will age and die with Rose.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #151
Draken
Elf Lord

Any thoughts on The Doctor's Wife episode yet? I thought it was very good and really quite sad.

....or am I?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #152
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

awesome, and very neil gaiman-esque. it was also quite sad, but then again, not too much so - after all, now they got the chance to learn more about each other, and i really liked the fact that the tardis said that "she" chose him. the tardis has always had a lot of character to me, but this gave it even more so.

at one point i thought river was the tardis - maybe she isn't, but the tardis mentioning her sort of makes me think that river will have something to do with it..

it's also interesting that these 2 last episodes have both been about some kinds of parallel universes or something similar.. maybe it's just a coincidence, maybe it's a theme. i guess we'll see.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #153
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Interesting episode

Quote:
Any thoughts on The Doctor's Wife episode yet? I thought it was very good and really quite sad.
Interesting episode.

It was weird on the tardis with Amy & Rory and the time differences when they were separated from each other.

The "house" was an interesting entity. I wonder how it arrived out of the universe and its history.

Quote:
. . .i really liked the fact that the tardis said that "she" chose him. the tardis has always had a lot of character to me, but this gave it even more so.
I thought it was a nice touch as well. Implying that they were made for each other. It does imply self-awareness and that the tardis is more than a machine.

I am not sure if I like the tardis as an actual "person". I have always considered the Tardis to be a machine that enables the TimeLords to travel through space and time. If it is a one time event, it is easier to endure, but I think they (the producers) need to be careful what they change and/or intruduce to the show.

Even though it is sci/fi, I do not think you want to make changes that make the show too unbelievable (For lack of a better word, since this is just a story and not real.) The sonic screwdriver (ss) is one example for me. It seems that that ss can do more and more things as the show moves on forward.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
Old 05-16-2011, 04:13 PM   #154
Draken
Elf Lord

To be fair, it has been implied plenty of times that the TARDIS has a "soul", is "alive" and has a "mind of its own". The theory that it's the TARDIS who decides where the Doctor goes next has been knocking around for years.

Endure, though? I think it was great: it's quite something to write a story that makes you look anew at very familiar aspects of the programme. Wouldn't want it to happen every week, no, but I think we can allow them once every 50-ish years! Especially in an episode with this standard of writing and acting (Suranne Jones was superb, I thought).

As for the sonic screwdriver - it's constantly being tinkered with and updated every Doctor or so. I'd be inclined to allow some "spec creep" so long as it doesn't get silly. I heard somewhere that K9 was eventually written out because it was becoming too easy to rely on its technology to get the Doctor and Co out of a fix.

....or am I?
Old 05-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #155
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
To be fair, it has been implied plenty of times that the TARDIS has a "soul", is "alive" and has a "mind of its own". The theory that it's the TARDIS who decides where the Doctor goes next has been knocking around for years.

Endure, though? I think it was great: it's quite something to write a story that makes you look anew at very familiar aspects of the programme. Wouldn't want it to happen every week, no, but I think we can allow them once every 50-ish years! Especially in an episode with this standard of writing and acting (Suranne Jones was superb, I thought).

As for the sonic screwdriver - it's constantly being tinkered with and updated every Doctor or so. I'd be inclined to allow some "spec creep" so long as it doesn't get silly. I heard somewhere that K9 was eventually written out because it was becoming too easy to rely on its technology to get the Doctor and Co out of a fix.
Perhaps endure is a bit strong. I guess I am somehow trying to say that if it is not played up or shown more than once in a while it is easier for me to accept. ~50 years seems fine to me.

Quote:
To be fair, it has been implied plenty of times that the TARDIS has a "soul", is "alive" and has a "mind of its own".
I have sometimes thought that my computer or car has a mind of its own. It does not mean that it actually does.

If the tardis is truly sentient:
  1. Is it a species and where do they come from?
  2. Where they all destroyed in the time war?
  3. Do they possess a tardis when it is completed?
  4. Are they similar to people (good,bad, and all shades in between)

Quote:
. . . so long as it doesn't get silly.
I'll agree with the sonic screwdriver.

Reagarding K9: that seems to be a reasonable explaination.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #156
Gwaimir Windgem

"Did you wish really, really hard?"

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #157
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrand1r View Post
If the tardis is truly sentient:
  1. Is it a species and where do they come from?
  2. Where they all destroyed in the time war?
  3. Do they possess a tardis when it is completed?
  4. Are they similar to people (good,bad, and all shades in between)
The Tardis does seem to be able to make decisions on its own. For instance, the Doctor said the Tardis had been 'scared' of Jack so that it fled as far as it could, to the end of the universe in Utopia. In a cross-over to the Sarah Jane Adventures, The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith, the Tardis actively tries to break through a time-blokkade to get to the Doctor who's trapped in time. That implies some intelligence, but it doesn't mean it has to be alive and part of a species. I had thought the Doctor had built the Tardis, so I've always considered the Tardis an AI.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 AM   #158
Draken
Elf Lord

I'm assured by hard-core Whovians that the First Doctor explicity said that the TARDIS was sentient.

In a fairly recent episide (Impossible Planet I think? Not sure), the Doctor said it had been "grown" rather than built.

....or am I?
Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #159
Draken
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
"Did you wish really, really hard?"
SO damn funnny that - great line, and a perfectly Amy-ish one too.

....or am I?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #160
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Quote:
I'm assured by hard-core Whovians that the First Doctor explicity said that the TARDIS was sentient.

In a fairly recent episide (Impossible Planet I think? Not sure), the Doctor said it had been "grown" rather than built.
It has been a while since I have seen any of the Hartnell episodes. Too bad they are not played on air. It is a shame that many episodes of the older Doctor Who (primarily #1) have been lost to history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
That implies some intelligence, but it doesn't mean it has to be alive and part of a species. I had thought the Doctor had built the Tardis, so I've always considered the Tardis an AI.
Interesting point. A good AI seems more likely. I would think that the tardis' AI to be better than K9.
================================================== ===========================
http://nerdfighters.ning.com/forum/t...ith-the-latest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
Let's do this. *Cracks knuckles*

How can you be outside of the universe?

Our universe is a bubble, and theirs is a smaller bubble sittisg on the outside of that bubble. The idea of there being multiple universes made of different bubbles is one that is being considered in astrophysics, but the "bubble on a bubble" thing is not.

Why is the planet sentient?

Remember that ep when all of britian was on a space whale? Same thing.

Ehh does it only eat Tardis's?

It doesn't eat tardises, it eats time lords, who are the only ones who have working tardis to travel outside the universe with.

How does it put the Tardis's "soul" in a humanoid body?

Take a normal person, empty the original soul so it's just a shell, fill it with the tardis soul.

Where did it get the body parts?

From old time lords they lurned outside the universe, just like they lured the doctor.

If the TimeLords made Tardis's why did they make them sentient?

Just by putting a time vortex in the tardis, it became sentient.

How did the Doctor build a new functioning Tardis in less than an hour with just a sonic screwdriver?

Partially because he's the doctor, but also because he had a living tardis with him who could tell him exactly how she was built.

Last edited by mithrand1r : 05-17-2011 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Found info on last episode