Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #1
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Mad Max: Fury Road

Anyone seen this? Being of the Mad Max generation (I remember seeing all three original movies in the theater and being blown away - at least with Road Warrior) I wasnt sure what to think when I heard they were making a new one. I assumed it would be garbage as I always do when a classic film from my generation is "remade". But surprisingly all I heard were accolades from critics and people being blow away so I went and saw it and I have to say its a really fun ride and it does have that great classic Mad Max feel to it (even if it doesnt actually match up specifically with any Mad Max timeline). Its great they let George Miller have carte blanch over this Mad Max chapter even after a 30 year break and its simply amazing what he did with the opportunity.

Visually its about as stunning and mind blowing as any film I have ever seen. I am declaring right now that this will go down as one of the greatest action films ever made. Its insanely choreographed and the stunts were incredible (and mostly practical with limited CGI!). And the whole spectacle is purposefully over the top in a wonderful way. It is absolutely intended to be over-the-top twisted exploitation with a big wink. But this humor is subtle. All the Mad Max movies relish in their weirdness and George Miller has always been a fan of the grotesque. These facts shine more then ever in this film.

Someone asked me to give a quick accurate description of the film and my take was imagine Road Warrior on steroids meets The Good The Bad And The Ugly all slamming directly into a production of Cirque du Soleil on fire. And if that description alone is mind blowing to you, wait till you see the movie...

Although the reviews have been literally raving for this, I do note that some people have come out disappointed because they find it is limited in "plot" and "dialogue" and "character development" and doesnt follow the standard hollywood paradigms that so many of us are comfortable with when taking in a movie. To them (and to those who havent seen it yet) I say please put aside your traditional notions of entertainment and structure and just let this one wash over you. Dont look for excessive character development (its good to know about Max coming into the film from the other movies; but thats really all you need). Just let yourself be plunged into Millers world as is. Without spoon feeding. Or training wheels. Dont be afraid! Be careful though because the story and the underlying message is subtle and Miller presents it as almost a silent film without the silence. And the bombastic ridiculousness of the spectacle can drown out the subtleties of the emotional undertones. Oh and please do ignore this whole "pro feminist" nonsense thats been surrounding it. If you choose to bring politics into a movie like this then just stay home. You are a bore and you miss the point amazingly. And anyway I see a message of environmentalism (global warming) in it more so then it being purposefully "pro feminist". You cant have strong female characters without trying to make some political point? Really?

Treat this movie like you would a day at the amusement park. Its a crazy wild roller coaster, the best ever built. And if you try to appreciate it like you would a Monet at the gallery you are going to miss out on the fun, be very disappointed and you might throw up from all the peaks and drops. So have fun and fasten your seat built. This one is worth seeing...

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote