Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entmoot Archive
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2000, 05:04 AM   #1
Johnny Lurker

Tater...

Chill out, man. You're taking this way too seriously...

Oh, and Anduin...

"if you swear again, I will ban you until after the election."

*applauds*

Old 10-27-2000, 02:13 PM   #2
Abigail Adams

Questions for the candidates

Do you have a plan for bringing back the entwives? How can we encourage hobbits to give up smoking? And should the dwarves be allowed to join a union?

Old 10-27-2000, 03:37 PM   #3
Gilthalion

"The first Role Playing Game was based on the Middle Earth as describe by Professor Tolkien. What was it's purpose ???"

Well, Xivigg, when I was as young as my opponents, I remember buying a boxed game entitled DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. It came with a single softcover instruction manual, printed with a monochrome blue cover, a few dice, and little else. This was in the days before AD&D, and all of the games that came afterwards. I wish I still had that set, because it was among the first ever sold, but I gave it away along with hundreds of hand-painted pewter figurines. I played a Ranger named Quentin Skysplinter!

Its purpose was to get kids like me to buy it and have fun and buy more! And I did! I had a great deal of fun and bought quite a lot of the gaming merchandise they offered!

Do you have a plan for bringing back the entwives? How can we encourage hobbits to give up smoking? And should the dwarves be allowed to join a union?

Abigail you are one of my favorite persons in history! I'm glad that your first post was in this Presidential Election!

<spin attitude="canned aside">
But before I answer your cogent questions, let me applaud bmilder, the only honest broker in the Establishment! I my record needs no defense, but at a point nearer to the election, I will be happy to lay out both my record and my vision for the future. A future in which the Establishment serves the People! Now that we have broken out of their stifling debate format, and included the People in this election, and I must in fairness acknowledge that ONE of my opponents, gdl96 aka GREG[/b[ has joined me in the struggle against the Establishment. Unfortunately, he still has demonstrated his support for the Establishment Candidate, HOB and that he is merely the toy of the Establishment!

Did you know that gdl96 actually lives RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from HOBBIT!?

I smell a furry footed rat!
</spin>

But to answer your questions, let me start with the ENTWIVES. They have been missing for a long time, but the case would be reopened under my administration. You may be unaware of this, but the FBI has a special X-FILES division that specializes in cases of this nature. I also believe that we might be able to start a petition and have the plight of the ENTWIVES featured on America's Most Wanted and the equivilant television programs in all other nations around the world. With the attention of the peoples of the world focussed on this critical issue, law enforcement agencies around the planet may at last have the lead they need to break the case, find the ENTWIVES, and reunite them with the ENTS.

The Pipeweed Cartel would be required to sponsor public relations programs in The Shire and elsewhere to reach Hobbits and inform them of the deleterious side effects of smoking. Taxes will be levied on the pipeweed to pay for health care programs to deal with hobbits and others who have ruined their health with smoking. Public accomodations will be encouraged to go smoke free. Doing much more than this would require an extension of government power and intrusion into the lives of the Hobbits that as a hobbit myself, I could not abide.

Dwarves provide many goods and services that are valuable to Middle-earth. They deserve a fair profit for their labor and safe working conditions in the mines and forges. The common Dwarf should be able to join a union and thus be able to collectively bargain with their Dwarven Overlords for what is right. However, no Union should be allowed to strike against the public interest. The Gilthalion Administration would offer to mediate, to arbitrate, or to adjudicate any problems working Dwarves may have with their Management. Even so, we must maintain our vigilance that the Dwarven Unions and the Dwarven Management not collude together to defraud the People of Middle-earth. That would be just like them!

Old 10-27-2000, 04:41 PM   #4
Xivigg

Gil i'm sorry to disapoint you but a RPG based on the Middle Earth or the Hobbit (can't remember) was created
BEFORE Dungeon and Dragon (I'm positive about that point i find it in a book about the 100 best fantasy book ever published Tolkien was in the top 10 and several info about lots of topic including the above information)

D&D was created in 69 (if my memories is ritght)
What i'm talking about is at least 10 year before
I'll try to find the book again

Old 10-27-2000, 06:07 PM   #5
Darth Tater

I got another question for ya!

IF TOLKIEN HAD WRITTEN A MONTY PYTHON SKETCH WHAT WOULD IT BE LIKE?

Old 10-27-2000, 07:43 PM   #6
HOBBIT

I can answer the question my opponent, Gil, failed to answer.

"The first Role Playing Game was based on the Middle Earth as describe by
Professor Tolkien. What was it's purpose ???"
The classic role-playing Tolkien board game was put out by a company called S.P.I in 1977. It was marketed as a trilogy of games under the title "Middle Earth." The individual games in the trilogy were "war of the ring," "Gondor," and Sauron." In the 70's, S.P.I. made a lot of these types of games, which were known then as wargames, and published a magazine about them called "Strategy and Tactics." These games can be worth a lot of money on ebay if mint. S.P.I., which stood for simulations publications inc., is long since out of business.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY SPEECH:

My fellow hobbits:
I need your votes to be the next president of Entmoot. We may be small in size, and small in number, but we will be heard. We few, we happy few, we band of hobbits will bring Entmoot to a golden age. Either that, or we'll share the gold! (Cheers in background)
I promise you better health care for hobbits. I promise you no negotiations with smelly orcs. My administration will bring a time of peace. Elves will walk hand in hand with dwarves. It will be morning in Entmoot.
I am no Johnny-come-lately. I am one of you. Ich bin ein Entmooter! (wild applause in German)
Fellow hobbits, let us go foward together. Vote for one of your own. Vote HOBBIT for president!

Old 10-27-2000, 11:07 PM   #7
gdl96

All those questions are just dumb, and to show my side of antidisitblishmentarianism, I will answer none of them.

I do not live directly accross the street from HOBBIT. He lives accross the street and about 4 or 5 houses down.

Good comparison, Ben. You may have noticed when I anounced I was the Yellow party canadite, I was just altering the name of the Green party.

I'll try to get an original speach up sometime this weekend.

Old 10-27-2000, 11:11 PM   #8
anduin

*Bows for JL*

Xivigg, I think the only reason why were are supporting anyone is so that we admins/mods can participate somehow. I choose HOBBIT purely out of fun. And the fact that I think he would make a great Prez as would all of the candidates. This election is just for fun.

And as for Gil not doing anything for this board, that is just plain silly.....IMHO.

Old 10-27-2000, 11:37 PM   #9
Darth Tater

Re: *Bows for JL*

asside from true

j/k

Old 10-28-2000, 12:49 AM   #10
Xivigg

The very first RPG was create before D&D
He was based on the middle Earth as created by Tolkien
And it's purpose was Medical

YES you have corectly read
He was create to help people who are (retarder in french can't translate) Anyone help please

OK GLD What kind of question is not silly for you ??

Old 10-28-2000, 01:02 AM   #11
HOBBIT

Xivigg, i answered your question. Look at near the top of this thread..

Old 10-28-2000, 11:44 AM   #12
Darth Tater

Xivigg, you mean retarded? Also, the word you're looking for is it, not he.

Old 10-28-2000, 03:22 PM   #13
gdl96

A pet comparison of the canidates:

Gil has an ugly, bud luck black cat

HOBBIT has a Furby

I, gdl96, have a cute little pug (see pic below)

Old 10-28-2000, 05:19 PM   #14
Darth Tater

Cute? Er, you could put it that way

Old 10-28-2000, 05:58 PM   #15
gdl96

What? That is an insult. My dog is pug ugly, which is another word for cute. There is no question about that.

Old 10-28-2000, 06:19 PM   #16
noldo

I think the doggy is adorable.

Old 10-28-2000, 07:14 PM   #17
Bullroarer

Your opinion

What is your opinion about raising the roof a slight bit so us "Slightly Taller" ones can get into the main discussions of ENTMOOT?

Will you do any changes to the physical appearances of the board?

What will you do when the General Messages gets too big?

Should we have an advertisement forum, or keep the advertisement thread?

Will there be a soda machine installed in this board?

Will there be a computer game discussion?

Should we have a forum for polls?

Should you be forced to use only one username? (That's getting rather annoying Gil.
)
Why do we capitalize names on ENTMOOT?

Will you abolish smoking on the board?

How will we decide who is the designated driver?

Will we have parties every Saturday afternoon?

Why do you keep on saying what you DID? I wanna know what you are going to do.

Old 10-28-2000, 09:03 PM   #18
Gilthalion

Re: Your opinion

My cat has white paws, belly, and chin. She is NOT bad luck!

Regarding xivigg's question:

gdl96 simply tried to bluster his way out of attempting an answer and HO is confusing strategy board games with role playing games. I must confess that I was completely unaware of a Tolkien-based RPG developed for the learning disabled! I reckon I got that one wrong!

But I am pretty sure I bought the first commercially available system RPG in the late 70's.

Regarding Darth Tater's question:
IF TOLKIEN HAD WRITTEN A MONTY PYTHON SKETCH WHAT WOULD IT BE LIKE?

I'll have to get back to you on that! Mustn't be hasty!

Now, Bullroarer has asked a number of questions!

That is entirely under the purview of the Administrators and though I would be happy to offer any advice that might be sought, I have no desire to make any changes.

I will suggest to the Administration that an ARCHIVAL FORUM be created and that old threads be moved to it to prevent the attrition of older threads. This should be done at least one month in advance of the next month's deletions so that being late a day or two will not happen at rist of losing aging threads.

I don't know that it is necessary. Signatures seem to be the most effective means of advertising. There are, however, advantages to an ADVERTISING FORUM. Each advertiser can open a seperate thread. This would make browsing easier, and could keep the most active and the most popular advertisers at the top of the forum.

There already is, in the THREAD THAT HAS NO LINK.

I assume that one could open a discussion of that sort in the GENERAL TOPICS FORUM. Should the threads abound, a COMPUTER GAMES FORUM could be considered.

Eventually, ENTMOOT could get Forum congestion. The Administration could check into the demand for polls with a poll, I suppose...

Should you be forced to use only one username? (That's getting rather annoying Gil.
)

What's annoying about it? I have a purpose for doing so in the HOBBITON RPG. I had a purpose for doing so when stepping aside for Eruve. Just a weak attempt at humor in the Election, I guess. I don't hit the bullseye of the beholder everytime, I reckon. But to answer the question, "NO!"

Gilthalion believes in Freedom! Freedom, Baby!

Why not? I think in the spirit of a board dedicated to the fandom of JRR Tolkien, a language professor, it behooves us to try to do as reasonably well with spelling, grammar, punctuation, etc. as we can! Still, there is no law that says you must Capitalize!

What! I might as well take a marker and censor all references to smoking in every Tolkien book that mentions it! No way! Smoking is bad, but not as bad as Tyranny.

We will draw straws, flip coins, roll dice, spin the bottle, call for volunteers, or stay home! But fair is fair.

We ARE having a party every Saturday afternoon! Where have you been? Have some chips and dip! The punch bowl is in the corner!

No one knows what I am going to do! (...although the Mrs is pretty good at predicting that sort of thing...) I promise not to unfairly constrain the activities of the ENTMOOT and to continue my brilliant improvisations!

i]Gilthalion believes in Freedom! Freedom, Baby![/i]

Old 10-28-2000, 09:10 PM   #19
gdl96

I have no control over the appearance of the board. Being pres is just a title

I'll try

If we can get an Entertainment forum going

I have no control, but I'd like to have them

Should you be forced to use only one username? (That's getting rather annoying Gil.)
No, for obvious reasons when it comes to me

We do? Since when?

I hate smoking. It's disgusting. When I walk home from school I have to walk through the group of smokers and hold my breath

I can't drive. We'll have to find someone who doesn't like bourbon

Yes

I'm gonna continue doing what I've done

Old 10-28-2000, 10:34 PM   #20
Darin Halcyon

Ok, I've got a question...
What do you intend to do in order to show Entmoot's multination-representation more clearly? We obviously all speak English, but... (what about places deticated to one nationality, not necesarily speak only in that language, but just generally learn more about it.)