Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #22
azalea
Long lost mooter

another review from a long-absent mooter

Hi, all! I saw it the other day, and loved it, of course. I have some criticisms, too, though.

Good points...

Casting: LOVE Martin Freeman as Bilbo. Love the dwarves, I think they all look great.

Scenery: As always, so much attention is given to details that brings the places to life.

Riddles in the Dark: So well done, including Bilbo's escape.

Music: I love the song of the Lonely Mtn.

Filling in: I really liked most of what was added to bridge The Hobbit and LOTR. I enjoyed seeing dramatized what was only mentioned in the book.

Cut off point: I would have ended it right where he did.

Bad points...

I wanted to see Gandalf push Bilbo out the door, not have Bilbo decide to go. This is a problem throughout the movie. At this point (meaning the entire first movie), Bilbo should still be a grudging participant, on the one hand, enjoying seeing the outside world, but at the same time, constantly wondering "How did I end up here?" They have played their cards too early, and I think it would have worked just fine to wait until Mirkwood to have Bilbo start being brave.

This is evident during the troll scene, which I think could have been played more closely to the book and worked well. It is also evident in the fighting scenes, including the end when Bilbo saves Thorin's life. Just too early, IMO.

I really liked seeing Radagast, but it was a little too much that wasn't really needed. I liked his look and manner, but he was used little too comedically for me.

I really didn't like the subplot of the orcs chasing the company, especially the scene right before Rivendell. As I said, I really enjoyed seeing the back story playing out, but I felt like the movie went a little too far in focusing on the history over Bilbo.

That's my take on it. Overall, I give it a B, for the changes that were just a little too much. Of course, I'll be buying the soundtrack, dvd, and extended edition just like I did for LotR anyway! The good outweighs the negatives.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote