Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Cadfael

Has anyone ever watched this series? I think they're based on a book series, and were made in the mid-1990's.

It's basically a medieval murder mystery series. It's set in western England, starting around 1138. Cadfael, the main character, is a monk or priest who is in his 60's. In his earlier life he was a knight, crusader and man-of-the-world - before he took orders. Anyway - the stories are very interesting.

In the first one 'One Corpse Too Many' - King Stephen came to attack the local castle, whose inhabitants were siding against him (with the Empress Matilda - daughter of the previous King), in his struggle to rule. He takes the castle and has all 94 surviving defenders hanged. When the church asks permission to provide a Christian burial for them, they find 95 corpses laid out. Someone has committed a murder and used the wrath of Stephen to conceal it.

Anyway - I like the stories, and love the setting. It seems fairly realistic. And while I used to see them on an occasional Tuesday night on a PBS station, someone loaded a bunch onto YouTube last month. So I've watched the first three episodes the past few days.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Love Cadfael!

I grew up watching it on PBS and having my mother read me the books, then as I got a little older I read a few of the books myself.

I am personally a fan of the first Hugh Berringer, and the other two actors they got to play him were not as good (from what I recall.. it's been a few years).

Know what's really cool? I didn't realize it till I hadn't seen the show for a few years, and then I got super interested in music, but when I recently rewatched one of the old episodes I realized that the "woman" singing the intro music is actually a man! It's a counter-tenor.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Didn't know about the series - but I've read lots of the books!

Not all of them were translated into Norwegian, and even those that were, I mostly borrowed from the library. I believe I bought some in English, though, which should be lying around somewhere ...

Good mysteries - and with little bits of English history mixed in!

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I adored Cadfael.

The books were lovely in themselves. I always regretted there never were any more of them, (still hunting down some of the ones I'm missing). But alas, it is pretty hard for new books to appear when the author, Ellis Peters, has passed away.

The TV series were great as well, sir Derek Jacobi was awesome as monk. Since I got the DVD's for New Year, I've been rewatching them at a leisurely pace. Still as good as I remember.

I have to sort of agree, the first Beringar, Sean Pertwee, was the best. I remember liking his voice in particular. I've noticed he has also narrated documentaries as well, so someone else must have liked it also.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:10 AM   #5
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

How far did they get? I'm pretty sure I own # 19 or 20 (where some secrets from Cadfael's youth are revealed), but I missed probably seven or eight books before that

Sir Derek Jacobi must be good.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Valandil

From googling, it looks like there were 20 books - and I think 13 of them in the miniseries.

Also - the author used Ellis Peters as a pen-name. The author was actually a woman - Edith Pargeter.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 09-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Pertwee - one of the Dr. Whos was a Pertwee, but I think he had another first name - wonder if they were related?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yeah, I wikipedeaed him. He is the grandson of one of the old Dr. Who's. He's also been in a lot of TV shows and movies, not to mention doing the voices for a lot of video games. He's had quite a career!
Old 09-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I watched some of them ages ago, and quite enjoyed them. What really stands out in my memory is DJ being awesome.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 AM   #10
Valandil

Brother Jerome drives me up the WALL!!

And... you would think, after being wrong so many times before, he might start to back off a little. But... NO!

*sigh* I just watched my 5th episode this evening, and realized that I may have seen all the ones currently posted. That one was put up on September 1 though, so maybe there'll be another in a few more days.

I've got to read those books.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
Earniel

Brother Jerome's constant fervour to rescue everybody's souls is sometimes obviously played for laughs, but it is interesting to see that even in one abbey there are different opinions among the brothers and that Cadfael's opinions are sometime surprisingly modern. It makes for a more realistic feel. (And it is occassionally very fun to see Brother Jerome get his comeuppance! )
Old 09-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
Valandil

Ok - if that's Jerome's intent in the books, his character might be a little more redeeming. In the films - it's like he's just out to get everyone, and to spy on everyone for Brother Robert.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Earniel

Well, that is part of it, I reckon. I had the impression brother Jerome believes in the chain of command so that any possible trangression he spots must be briefed so the miscreant can be properly reprimanded and shown the error of his ways (and Jerome is very astute in finding other people's faults!). There's a bit 'holier-than-thou' in his character as well.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

It also brings a certain depth to Jerome's character. Keep in mind that Cadfael lived outside the walls till he was about middle-age (I believe) and Jerome was pretty much raised in an abby. He is jealous of Cadfael's experience, and scandalized by the way Cadfael thinks.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:05 PM   #15
Valandil

Yes - and having seen only 5 of the films, and read none of the books - I almost get the impression that Jerome is trying to play at the 'detective' game himself. Either inspired by Cadfael, or even aspiring to rival with him. But he lacks the depth of insight or the patience to collect all pieces of evidence before jumping to a conclusion.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #16
Valandil

I had never really known anything about this period of time in English history - called 'The Anarchy'. Suddenly getting very interested in it.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #17
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I almost get the impression that Jerome is trying to play at the 'detective' game himself.
Could be specific to some stories, but mostly he's telling Cadfael to mind his own business and leave criminal-catching to the worldly authorities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I had never really known anything about this period of time in English history - called 'The Anarchy'. Suddenly getting very interested in it.
It was a complete unknown era for me as well. There's so much history out there of which I haven't got a clue...

I've been meaning to look up who eventually won the power struggle between Maud and Stephen. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #18
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
:
:
It was a complete unknown era for me as well. There's so much history out there of which I haven't got a clue...

I've been meaning to look up who eventually won the power struggle between Maud and Stephen. Haven't gotten around to it yet.
I checked. King Stephen mostly kept the upper hand (and was more in truth the ruler), but there was civil war throughout most of his reign. Then - shortly before his reign ended, he made an agreement with Maud that her son would be the king after him.

This son was Henry II - he's the one depicted in the movie 'The Lion in Winter' and the father of both King Richard (the Lionhearted) and King John, who was the 'Prince John' of the Robin Hood stories while Richard was king.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Old 09-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #19
Earniel

Oooh, that's interesting. Kind of fun to piece together different familiar bits of history.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #20
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I too am a huge Cadfael fan! Brother Prior was always hilarious.

And, just so we all know: the guy who played Brother Prior played Captain Needa in 'The Empire Strikes Back.' Not only that, but Julian Glover who played another commander in ESB and the bad guy in The Last Crusade, also makes an appearance in the Cadfael series. So, all this to say: the force is with Cadfael!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote