Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

LOTR Discussion Project: Book IV, Chapters 5 & 6

Book IV, Chapter 5 – The Window on the West

I'm going to be a bit of a cheeky chappie. I suspect it's not working having a big massive post with hundreds of discussion points right at the start of these threads which nobody can be arsed reading.

So, I am going to post a 15-second summary and a couple of discussion points, then move on. I will post the long summary at the end so that your contributions can be part of it.

Long summary posted here

15-second Summary
The key development in this chapter is that Faramir decides to trust Frodo. Not the most action-packed chapter, but an important milestone in Frodo’s character development. For the first time, Frodo takes sole command of the fate of the Ring, and it is accepted by a “senior” character in this role.

But this is a very rich chapter in terms of historical as well as character development. The clue is in the title: we look back over the centuries, and get a sense of the nobility and grace that has faded from the world.

Discussion points:

1) Frodo has been changing over the past chapters, taking charge of the Quest, and here, negotiating extremely skillfully with a very smart, difficult and (fortunately) wise opponent.

I think this is a real milestone: Frodo is the *only* character in LoTR who undergoes significant change, and this is the first true measure of it. Do you agree?

2) The Window on the West is, of course, a metaphor for Gondor looking back to the glory days of Numenor. Discuss.

3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faramir
Not if I found it on the highway would I take it. Even if I were such a man as to desire this thing.... I should take these words as a vow and be held by them
Yeah, right. Who believes him?

Last edited by The Gaffer : 09-01-2005 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Adding links
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote