Old 03-19-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
West Middle Earth Side Story - Discussion thread

West Middle Earth Side Story - Discussion Thread

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Side_Story

Act 1
Prologue: The act begins with the gang leitmotifs established musically. The curtain rises. A conflict between two rival teenage gangs, the "American" Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks, is enacted through dance. The tension between the gangs is quite visible. The boys are struggling for control of the neighborhood. Accented by police whistles and taunting phrases, the Prologue establishes the fierce rivalry between the two groups.

The Jets break off and celebrate themselves. ("Jet Song"). But Riff (the Jet gang leader) has a problem: he wants to get his friend, Tony, back into the gang. Riff convinces Tony to re-join the Jets at the neighborhood dance, where Riff's plan will be put into motion. Tony agrees out of a sense of loyalty to Riff, but expresses his unhappiness with his current life ("Something's Coming"). He feels himself growing away from the gang and envisions a different, better future.

Maria, the sister of the Shark leader, Bernardo, has only been in the United States for a short time. She works with Anita, Bernardo's girlfriend, in a bridal shop. Anita is making Maria a dress to wear to the neighborhood dance. Maria sees this dance as the official beginning of her life in this country. Like Tony, she is full of hope. Bernardo arrives with Chino, a quiet, intense member of the Sharks. Maria's family has selected Chino to be her future husband.

A social worker, Glad Hand, introduces the rival gang members and their girls; they dance sociably for about two minutes. Then a challenge dance erupts ("Mambo"). Tony and Maria, however, suddenly see one another. In a moment of romantic suspense, they dance together, oblivious to the tension around them. They fall in love. The romantic idyll is interrupted when an enraged Bernardo roughly pulls Maria from Tony's arms ("Maria"). Maria is sent home and Riff and Bernardo arrange a War Council at the local luncheonette, Doc's Drug Store, which is considered neutral ground. Tony finds Maria and serenades her outside her bedroom ("Tonight). Meanwhile, the Shark girls fawn over the differences between Puerto Rico and America ("America"). At Doc's, the Jets get antsy while waiting for the Sharks, but Riff tries to keep them calm ("Cool"). After a war council and an interruption by Lt. Schrank, they agree that Bernardo will fight Diesel

Tony meets Maria at the bridal shop, where they dream of their wedding ("One Hand, One Heart"). She begs Tony to stop the rumble and the violence. Tony, Maria, Anita, Bernardo (& the Sharks in some versions), and Riff (& the Jets in some versions) sing about what will happen that night ("Tonight Quintet"). Per her request, Tony tries to stop the impending rumble. Though Bernardo taunts Tony, ridicules his attempt to make peace, and provokes him in every way, Tony stays his ground. During the rumble, Riff and Bernardo get in a fight involving knives. Tony warns Riff to back away, but Riff blows him off and continues the fight. Bernardo stabs Riff. In blind fury, Tony angrily kills Bernardo in an act of revenge. The sirens scream; everyone runs except Tony, who stands transfixed at what he has done. Anybodys, a tomboy whose dream is to become a Jet, has followed the gang and prods Tony to escape, just in time. The curtain comes down on a stage which is empty except for the bodies of Riff and Bernardo.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

er ... ?
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

or to put it another way ..... er, ok? ..just haven't bothered reading that yet ...but that's just me!

wotcha Doc! - er, goodluck with whatever this is, though!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

I think he is posting the original scene of WSS so that we can read it then adapt it to fit middle earth. We should still make a list of who gets what part, and see how we cant change it a bit.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

... or not!

:anarchy:

(don't mind me i am just playing mind catch-up over typing fingers... )
Old 03-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #6
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

I forgot to put DISCUSSION in the title of this thread so that we can discuss the story. But you are correct - this is a beginning - hope Ive given you all something to work with.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:40 AM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

The Cast

Characters
Jets

Riff - The leader of the gang "The Jets". Lives with Tony.
Songs: "Prologue", "Jet Song", "Mambo", "Cool", "Tonight Quintet", "The Rumble"

Anton "Tony" - Riff's best friend and co-founder of the Jets; he falls in love with Maria. Tony is Polish-American.
Songs: "Something's Coming", "Mambo (Cha-Cha)", "Maria", "Tonight", "One Hand, One Heart", "Tonight Quintet", "The Rumble", "Somewhere", "Somewhere (Reprise)"

Action - A member of Tony and Riff's gang; hot-tempered and bitter. He takes over Riff's leader position after the rumble. He also is the "juvenile delinquet" in "Gee, Officer Krupke".
Songs: "Prologue", "Jet Song", "Mambo", "Cool", "Gee, Officer Krupke"

A-Rab - A member of Tony and Riff's gang; the son of an alcoholic. The Sharks jump him and pierce his ear in the prologue.

Baby John- Youngest member of the Jets. According to the novelization, he is only fourteen. "Rapes" Anita in Act 2.

Anybodys - A local girl who wishes to be included in the gang. However, she is rejected and regularly told to 'put on a skirt'.
Songs: None

Other Jets - Snowboy, Big Deal, Diesel, Gee-tar, Mouth Piece, Tiger

Their Girls - Graziella, Velma, Minnie, Clarice, Pauline
Songs: "Mambo", "Cool"

Sharks

Bernardo - The leader of Puerto Rican gang "The Sharks", Maria's brother, and Anita's boyfriend.
Songs: "Prologue", "Mambo", "Tonight Quintet"

Maria - Sister of Bernardo; she falls in love with Tony.
Songs: "Mambo (Cha-Cha)", "Tonight", "One Hand, One Heart", "Tonight Quintet", "I Feel Pretty", "Somewhere", "I Have Love", "Somewhere (Reprise)"

Chino - Bernardo's best friend and Maria's fiancé. He takes over Bernardo's leader position after the rumble.
Songs: "Prologue", "Mambo"

Anita - Maria's friend and Bernardo's girlfriend.
Songs: "Mambo", "America", "Tonight Quintet", "A Boy Like That"

Other Sharks - Toro, Pepe, Indio, Luis, Anxious, Nibbles, Juano, Moose
Songs: "Prologue", "Mambo"

Their Girls - Rosalia, Consuelo, Teresita, Francisca, Estella, Margarita
Songs: "Mambo", "America", "I Feel Pretty"

Adults

Officer Krupke - Local police officer who is always having to prevent the gangs from feuding.
Doc - The owner of a local luncheonette and confidante to Tony
Glad Hand - Local social worker (Real name per novelization: Murray Benowitz)
Lieutenant Schrank - Krupke's superior, is strong and always in command has a charming pleasant manner to cover his venom and his fear
Old 03-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #8
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Now we're out of my depth.

I'm just a simple lyricist.

You plan to cast this from folk here? Then what? Each writes dialog?
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Sorry if havent made everything crystal clear, but can u guys/gals now that you have the cast chose a character or two and begin thinking out the story.