Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2003, 04:12 AM   #1
BerislavLopac
Sapling

Leithian: The Opera

Some time ago I had an idea to write the libretto for a Tolkien-based opera, and I even wrote down a synopsis of the basic plot. If I manage to find it on my backup CDs I'll share it with the rest of you.

The opera's title was supposed to be "Leithian: Release from Bondage", and it was, of course, a retelling of the the tale of Beren and Lúthien.

I broke the story into (IIRC) four acts: the first taking place in Doriath and depicting their meeting and Thingol's quest to Beren; the second takes place at Tol-in-Ngaurhoth, with the death of Finrod and defeat of Sauron; the third covers their journey towards Thangorodrim and taking of the Silmaril; and the fourth covers the rest of the tale, including the hunt for Carcharoth, Beren's death and Lúthien's song in the halls of Mandos.

Naturally, many things needed to be excluded, such as Lúthien's kidnapping by Feanor's sons, but those that remained were the core of the tale. I have decided for this particular tale because a) it was Tolkien's favorite (just consider the names at his an his wife's tombs), b) it is a most complete Silmarillion tale, c) it ends on a positive note, unlike most others (such as The Children of Hurin, or Nirnaeth Arnoediad, or Gondolin), d) it has classical qualities not unlike those found in the operas of Verdi, and e) it has excellent opportunities for both choir and solo acts, from the choirs of Doriath and Thangorodrim to the arias of Lúthien before Mandos or Finrod at his deathbed.

Anar kaluva tielyanna,

Berislav.
BerislavLopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Sounds marvelous! I love opera.
Will you be composing the music, as well?
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:45 AM   #3
BerislavLopac
Sapling

No, I could not compose to save my life. As for the libretto, I am probably not going to write anything of the sort in a foreseeing future.

Maybe some day, when I am retired and Tolkien's work becomes public domain (yeah, right, as if Disney lawyers would ever allow that to happen ), I might sit down and make some use of that synopsis of mine.

Berislav
Old 04-24-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Yeah, I know what you mean about composing. It's a beautiful mystery to me how someone can 'hear' music and invent a composition.

I didn't know that Disney owned rights to Tolkien. We need a hero to retrieve them, if that's the case. Where's Siegfried when you need him???

Hopefully, you'll meet someone that you can join forces with on this project. It's a wonderful idea, and would make a GREAT opera.

(goes off humming Tristan's theme....)
Old 04-25-2003, 02:22 AM   #5
BerislavLopac
Sapling

Quote:
I didn't know that Disney owned rights to Tolkien. We need a hero to retrieve them, if that's the case. Where's Siegfried when you need him???
Fortunately, the rights to LOTR and Hobbit still belong to Tolkien Enterprises and not Disney (the rights to everything else are still in possession of the Tolkien Estate, ie Christopher Tolkien and other heirs of JRR).

Unfortunately, Disney's lawyers have managed in the past to force the US legislation to prolong the period after which an author's works become public domain. This keeps them from losing the exclusive rights to Mickey Mouse and other Disney's characters, but is ridiculous and in contradiction with the spirit, if not the words, of the Berne convention.

As for the opera, even if I found an appropriately gifted composer and a talented troupe, I do not think it will happen anytime soon. Both TE's are quite reluctant in granting permissions for such endeavors, although this might even have some chance to happen, as this tale is from the Silmarillion, and the Estate might be more open to srtictic projects like that (although they are firmly against granting rights for movies and games).

Berislav
Old 04-29-2003, 09:55 PM   #6
Telmelion
Hobbit

In my opinion, the Lay of Leithian would work much better as a musical(or opera) than LotR. In the matter of plot, the Beren and Luthien story would benefit from the lack of characters while LotR is so complicated that it is nearly impossible to translate it into a script of a passable time length for a musical. The Lay of Leithian is also based around singing; putting it into an opera seems like a genius idea to me. Good luck.
Telmelion is offline   Reply With Quote