Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2002, 05:52 PM   #1
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard One Ring - THE Musical

Hello,

I stumbled across this site and was totally impressed with the idea of a musical. When do you think it will be performed?

How does one go about auditioning?
coralied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
hama

Thank you very much. As I have said before elsewhere, I firmly believe that LotR was already a "musical" but that it took someone who was a big enough "Fool of of Took" to try to adapt it to the stage. I have labored long and hard at it and think at least some of it is rather good.

As to when it will be on stage I can only say that I would hope to have a producer lined up by the end of this summer and then look for a production in late 2003 or early 2004.

As far as auditioning goes, that will primarily pe ub to the producer. However, anyone who is interested in auditioning, and being in the New York area is helpful can e-mail me their headshot and resume and I will keep them on file and also potentially contact them regarding recordings or readings or backer's auditions prior to a full scale production.

Hope this is of help.
Old 02-04-2002, 10:22 AM   #3
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I just read some of act 1 scene 5. No Helm's deep? Still I can see the problems, will the scouring of the Shire still be there?

I think that if it was done properly the Riders of Rohan could be on horses, and therefore some of the Black Riders could too, but the costs of stabling and the hroses' need to graze would be quite expensive.
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2002, 10:27 PM   #4
hama

No, no Helm's Deep and no Scouring of the Shire. The show basically ends at the coronation of Aragorn which is combined with the Grey Havens but there is no scouring.

Live horses could be a huge challenge espectially in NYC and perhaps even more so if the show tours.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:28 AM   #5
Agburanar
Elf Lord

I dunno, you could always save petrol by getting them to pull the lorries!
Old 02-06-2002, 10:13 PM   #6
hama

LOL...but the US Stage hands unions refuse to clean up after them. No Agburanar, you must come up with some type of "virtual" representation of our four legged friends....
Old 02-07-2002, 03:46 PM   #7
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee Horses?

Live horses on stage??? Ok, THAT would be TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!
But, still very difficult. If you wanted horses in the background, you could have wooden ones.... like they did with the cow in Stephen Sondhiem's "Into the Woods". But they would be very hard to make and just decoration.
I just thought of something. If you REALLY wanted live horses, you could have at least ONE and keep it at on of those NYC stables...... maybe..... very well-trained horse?
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
hama

The more I think about it, live horses on stage would be amazing and would blow the audience away. Yes there have been live animals on stage...just look at Radio City Music Hall. Also the Wang Center in Boston was a theatre that years ago had live horses.

Hmmmm?
Old 02-08-2002, 05:42 AM   #9
Agburanar
Elf Lord

The Welsh National Opera had a horse in Carmen.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:52 AM   #10
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

A pony

You could even just have one horse. A pony. A miniature horse. An INCREDIBLY calm pony would be cool. You know, one that is really used to loud noises and a bunch of people. You can easily rent one (or buy one, if the musical is a huge success, which I'm sure it will), and I'm pretty sure they have stables up in NYC.... Just make sure your pony is used to loud noises and a bunch of people. Or else it'll spook and run off the stage. You could even hire a special horse-care person!
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 12:54 AM   #11
hama

For want of a horse a musical is lost. I have no idea if it is actually feasible to have live horses on stage. Of course if it is there are certainly horses trained to perform in, around and in front of large groups of people. It really would be an awesome sight.
Old 12-26-2002, 06:33 PM   #12
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard

Dear Hama,

I've been out of the loop for a while. Are you still writing your musical? How is it going?

Coralie
Old 12-29-2002, 02:06 AM   #13
hama1
Elven Warrior

Welcome back. Yes I have been but not hard enough. It is done...or at least as done as I can get it. I need to get off my butt and push my agent to get it in front of producers and get it done or just write it off as a glorious folly.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 04:53 PM   #14
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard

Well glorious folly or not Hama1, I think you've done a wondrous thing! Now how does one go about auditioning for this musical of yours? Where do you live? I'm in Vail Colorado. Have you posted a link to your music anywhere so we can hear it???

All excited now I am.....

Coralie
Old 12-30-2002, 11:17 PM   #15
hama1
Elven Warrior

Vail? Now I am jealous. Vail is one of the few resorts I am still willing to ski. After 39 years of skiing, 8 of them competitive I am a devout CMH Heli-Skier. Give me 10,000 acres of mountain terrain and only 43 other skiers and I am in heaven.

As for a link to the music...well....that is another thing I need to do. I need to get back to NY and get some of my actor/singer buddies together and put together a demo cd. I thought Halan Entertainment which bought the music publishing rights were going to take care of that but it has been months now and nothing.
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2002, 05:52 PM   #16
coralied
Sapling

Treebeard Why not Vail????

OY! Hama1!

No need to go to NY to cut a demo...Come to Vail, I'll sing some and you can ski too!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:46 PM   #17
IluvSmeagol13
Hobbit

Hama1:
would u let teenagers into this LOTR play?i'd love to audition!i've only been in one play though(lesMiz)...not on broadway,though(duh)
IluvSmeagol13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 PM   #18
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
R they really makin' a musical called The One Ring musical??

If so I'm goin' to see that 4 sure 'cuse i told my frech teacher that is interested in LOTR as well that there is one comin' out soon!!!!!

HE HE HE!!!!!!!!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 05:38 PM   #19
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Arwen Undomiel

I think a One Ring Musical is a great idea! Its sure to be a huge success!
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:32 PM   #20
Legolaslvr!
Super Smilie Freak

Location: In the entmoot army, trying to get rid of black and blue!
Strider

I agree with Lady of Rohan!

The fat hobbit hobbit knows!
Legolaslvr! is offline   Reply With Quote