Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-15-2002, 11:20 AM   #21
Agburanar
Elf Lord

You've gone for the shadowy approach I see, like in the animated film. When I was thinking of deisgns for this scene I envisaged the Balrog as a creature of fire and so it was formed from flame jets spouting from the bridge of Khazad-Dum. This would allow the actors to interact more and the heat would really cause them to sweat, eliminating the need for dodgy "It's hot" acting.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 09:00 PM   #22
hama

Azalea, all your ideas are good ones. I haven't really figured it out but then luckily that isn't my problem. I make no claim of being a designer, either sets, costumes or "special effects". However, I think for the scene to have the dramatic tension I am looking for, the confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog will have to be between two corporeal or at least seemingly corporeal beings. Gandalf must appear to be face to face with the Balrog.
Old 08-11-2002, 04:29 PM   #23
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
...the confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog will have to be between two corporeal or at least seemingly corporeal beings. Gandalf must appear to be face to face with the Balrog.
What if you combined the non-corporeal with something corpreal? Whether it be person in a costume on a ladder to a big wooden figure, just so that there is something there. It could be defined enough so that the audience knows that there is a Balrog standing there, yet vague enough for the imagination to take over, with some help from smoke, shadows, trick lighting, etc.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:53 AM   #24
Agburanar
Elf Lord

On stilts!!!! He hehehe. I can imagine somebody up stilts coming out of smoke with plastic horns and red lighting...

"You shall not pass!"
"Raarghhh, oh no-oooooooooooooo"

Balrog exits stage down...

Old 10-04-2002, 12:10 AM   #25
hama1
Elven Warrior

Come now agburanur...be nice. Not everyone has either your talent, imagination and/or training. ...including me.

BTW have you read the rest of the script?
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 09:13 AM   #26
Agburanar
Elf Lord

hehehe.... guess who switched the ring when Frodo was staying at Henneth Annun. Now I am the master...

Sorry. I dunno where that came from.

Old 11-12-2002, 01:28 PM   #27
Elrénia
Sapling

Treebeard

I know that this doesn't help you with the musical but could you tell me if you know when and where the musical would be taking place. Me and my friends would love to see it.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:44 AM   #28
hama1
Elven Warrior

Actually knowing that people want to see it DOES help me with the musical. Certainly it helps my motivztion in doing more to get it produced. No news on that front but I will keep you "posted."
Old 12-08-2002, 06:38 PM   #29
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Costumes

If you want a site that has done really EXTENSIVE research on the LotR movie costumes (they have done soooo much research-WOW!!), then go to http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/ . They pay so much attention to details, have TONS of pictures and sketches, and can help you with patterns, etc. They also have makeup sections (including how to make ears), where to find wigs, making shoes, and so much more including a message board on yahoo where you can ask questions.

**This may sound like advertising but I can assure you that I am in no way affiliated with this site, I'm just sharing it so others can use their resources.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 01:46 AM   #30
hama1
Elven Warrior

Shadowfax,

Thanks...I and I am sure others will check it out.

Brad
Old 12-09-2002, 01:50 AM   #31
hama1
Elven Warrior

shadowfax,

Can you check that url? I couldn't connect to it.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2002, 08:36 PM   #32
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

URL

The URL works fine for me; maybe their server was down or something. Here it is again though: http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/ Hope it works for you!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

Old 12-10-2002, 09:09 AM   #33
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
worked for me. Wow, and I thought we were obsessed...

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:07 PM   #34
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by Beleg Strongbow
and I thought we were obsessed...
No kidding. Totally agree with you there! They have researched every pattern, fabric type, embroidery, beads on dresses, etc, even down to where the seams are put! Yeah. Really helpful in making your own stuff. And you have to check out their section on making elf ears. From what I've heard & seen, they turn out excellent using their method.
Hama1, has it worked for you yet?

Old 12-12-2002, 05:07 AM   #35
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Okay, materials and methods, fine. But please don't let anyone producing this musical turn it into a stage version of the film, that would be truly even more dreadful than the film itself!

Old 12-13-2002, 01:40 AM   #36
hama1
Elven Warrior

LOL Agburanur...Little risk of this being a musical version of the film. My script was finished or at least in its 6th or 7th draft before I even knew there was going to be a movie. Shadowfax...yes, the link worked and I was fascinated by the site. But hey I just write these things. It is up to other people to bring them to life on stage.

Hama
Old 12-13-2002, 02:29 PM   #37
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
And you have to check out their section on making elf ears. From what I've heard & seen, they turn out excellent using their method.
I saw... But using band-aids?

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2002, 04:53 PM   #38
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I guess the costumes would be similar to those used in the film!
But yeah to make them taller they would have to use stilts or something!! The Hobbits would have to crawl around on their knees too!
And have those Pantomime horses!! lol!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 02:45 AM   #39
hama1
Elven Warrior

Actually Varda this has all been discussed earlier but for your benefit...the actors protraying elves and humans will all be 6 ft or taller for males and 5'10" for females. The hobbits and gimli will be portrayed by actors 5'2" or shorter. Also with a raked or sloped stage, given the proper postitioning or staging of the actors will enhance the impression of height differential in the minds of the audience. As for pantomime horses, as I am sure you aware from reading the scrip, that I have adapted the scenes with horses to eliminate them from being on stage.
Old 12-15-2002, 05:47 PM   #40
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

I'm sorry!!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote