Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-29-2001, 11:28 PM   #1
hama

The Script

In setting up The One Ring Musical site here at Tolkien Trail, I suggested to Ben that I provide him with new scenes from the script periodically which he would replace so that the site would not become to unwieldly. I had hoped that pages from the actual script in progress might provide for some interesting and lively discussion as to what I cut out, left in, adapted and outright stole etc.

I would like to openly invite any and all of you who have thoughts, questions or concerns to discuss them here. For instance, I had originally intended to begin the show with the Council of Elrond. It seemed to be the logical starting point as all the major characters are introduced, the history of the ring is revealed and the basic plot lines for the balance of the show are put in place.

However, during re-writes I realized that more had to done to give the audience at least a small sense of the Shire, and perhaps more importantly the relationships between major characters such as Gandalf and Frodo, Frodo and Sam and to a lesser extent Frodo and Bilbo.

Also I assumed my choice to include Eowyn at the Council might have raised some eyebrows. While I don't think it is quite as egregious as Peter Jackson's purported expansion of Arwen's character in the movies, as Eowyn is the only major female role in the musical and plays a significant role visa vis her relationships with Theosen, Aragorn and Faramir, I felt it was important to establish her character early on.

Just some of my thoughts. If anyone is interested in looking at Act One, Scene One and commenting, just click onThe Script and then return here.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 06:01 AM   #2
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Sorry if I'm bugging you, answering each thread, but I can't help it. When I read the first part of the script, I got a bit confused as to what happened to most of the journey to Rivendell. When I asked my dad, he said it would have to be cut down, so it wouldn't be to long. I think Eowyn coming in at the beginning is a good idea. I have a question. Is all the writing in capital letters in the script songs that aren't on the lyrics page?

Put the next part on soon!

From your faithful annoying person.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 11:01 PM   #3
hama

First, you have a very smart father. Adapting Tolkien's work down to a 3 hour musical has been a huge challenge which has involved a lot of choices that others might not have made. I happen to think that Return of the King is the most adaptable part of the script and concentrated my efforts there.

Second, the ALL CAPITALS portion of the script is for lyrics whether they are in the lyrics section or not. That is simply how the script or libretto of a musical is written. It tells the reader that "this part is sung."

Third, no one expressing an interest in my work is ever annoying. Thank you so much.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:54 AM   #4
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Thanks for answering. I just had an idea. I was thinking that perhaps Merry and Pippin might have bigger parts. They're such interesting characters, and I was always drawn to them. So have all my other friends who have read the books. Except Jess, who likes Merry, but thinks Pippin is an absolute idiot. But I've always liked Pippin best.
Old 10-01-2001, 06:20 PM   #5
hama

Merry and Pippin's roles definitely grow throughout the show. While they never achieve the prominence as they do in the book. the scene with Pippin stealing the Palantir and Merry's relationship as a squire to Theoden are pivotal to the plot and the show. In the original draft of the script, Pippin's relationship with Beregond in Minas Tirith was also much larger. Unfortunately I had to cut much of it out for reasons of time.

Hopefully you'll see more as we add scenes to the script here.
Old 10-01-2001, 11:32 PM   #6
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

How are you going with writing the script, hama? Where are you up to?
Old 10-02-2001, 07:47 PM   #7
hama

I actually have the entire script written. Note I did not say finished. I am on my fifth full rewrite. We are only adding scenes to the site slowly.
Old 10-02-2001, 08:13 PM   #8
hama

Speaking of the script...the webmaster here as added Act One Scene Two to THE SCRIPT section of the site. Please check it out and let me know what you think. THE SCRIPT
Old 10-03-2001, 05:19 AM   #9
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

That's so good! I really like it the way Legalas and Gimli snipe at eachother like that. They have a little bit of a go at eachother in the books, but in the fellowship, most of them only just met eachother, and they can't be friends staight away, especialy Dwarves and Elves. People aren't perfect. I'm glad you are putting that in. And it's good that Pippin trips over a chain to fall into the hole, instead of being "mysteriously attracted" to it like the book. I think you're doing a terrific job!
Old 10-03-2001, 10:41 PM   #10
hama

Well thank you. As for Gimli and Legolas sniping at each other I focused on that for two reasons. First it provides a bit of comedy in what is otherwise a very somber and serious piece. Second, and most importantly, I think their initial dislike of each other makes the friendship that grows between them throughout the show that much more powerful.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:25 AM   #11
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Some people say that The Lord of the Rings is boring when they haven't read it. If people saw "The One Ring", would you like them to want to read the book if they liked the musical a lot?
Old 10-04-2001, 09:15 PM   #12
hama

Yes obviously I would hope those who hadn't read LotR would be curious enough about it after seeing The One Ring to read the trilogy. While if only a small percentage of those who have read LotR chose to see the show it would be a major hit by Broadway standards. However, like Peter Jackson, I hope to attract non Tolkien fans as well as devoted reader. I also hope to introduce Tolkien fans who may not have ever attended a Broadway play or musical to discover that there is magic in theater as well as Middle Earth.
Old 10-06-2001, 12:05 AM   #13
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I know this is getting off the subject of the musical, but are you looking forward to the movie? I am. Some of my favorite actors are in it. I love almost anything that has to do with the Lord of the Rings.
Old 10-06-2001, 12:35 AM   #14
hama

Looking forward to the movies? Absolutely! I can't wait. I intend to see the first showing in my area...I take my kids to the movies all the time and they always look to my reaction if there isn't a LotR trailer in the previews....
Old 10-09-2001, 06:16 AM   #15
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Same with me, except if I don't see a Lord of the Rings ad, my family doesn't have to look for my reaction.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:04 PM   #16
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I haven't been to the movies since Disney's "Atlantis," so I've never seen a preview for the movie. (sigh)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2001, 12:14 AM   #17
hama

Elements of the movie trailers get my heart pounding...The fellowships attempt on Calhadras (sp?) The Battlof Pelennor Fields and perhaps most stirring....Gandalf asking Frodo..."Are not you afraid?" Frodo "Yes." Gandalf "Not enough...not nearly enough."
Old 10-12-2001, 10:21 PM   #18
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Have you seen the newest trailer? It's so scary! With one funny bit. You know when Pippin drops the stone in the well? In the movie, it's an entire skeleten Go to www.thelordoftherings.com. to see the theatrical trailer.

(I think thats the right address)
Old 10-19-2001, 07:01 PM   #19
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

Sorry, wrong address. The real one is:

http://www.lordoftherings.net/index_realchannel.html

(Hope)
Old 10-19-2001, 07:01 PM   #20
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit