Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-06-2001, 11:01 PM   #1
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Musical? That's news.

Tell us more about this musical. Do the Nazgul get to sing? Does the Balrog do a dance routine?
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 01:45 PM   #2
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

No good can come from this....
Old 09-07-2001, 02:37 PM   #3
Darth Tater
The man

The Tolkien Trail is now hosting the musical. I recommend you go read it. It's in our Rivendell section and well worth your time
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:21 PM   #4
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

Tom Bombadil

So how are they going to do the hobbits? Young kids or munchkins? Does anyone know more about the play then is posted on The Tolkien Trail? When's it scheduled to come out and where? That Balrog is going to be a big guy in a black monster suit. I don't see any way that this'll be done right. And the cut Saruman out entirely!!
Old 09-07-2001, 09:05 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I read it already! I really want to act in it. I wonder where it's first coming out, so I can audition? Or at least see it.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2001, 08:49 PM   #6
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Gandalf

Everyone who goes to Entcon can act it out!
Old 09-08-2001, 11:49 PM   #7
hama1
Elven Warrior

Hello

Hello to all who travel the Tolkien Trail. My name is Brad Marston and I am the librettist, lyricist, composer of The One Ring , a new musical in development, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's classic, epic fantasy The Lord of the Rings.

First and foremost, I would like to thank Ben for his generous offer to host The One Ring at Tolkien Trail. When our original web hosting service, theglobe.com shut down I was in a quandary as to how to proceed as we had attracted over 4000 visitors in a few months and having a presence on the Internet has been a big boost to developing the project.

As you can all imagine, there have been a myriad of coments about the project since we launched the site in May of this year. I am gratified that most of those who reacted negatively at first have been won over since reading material on the site or having their questions or concerns answered on various discussion boards. That is one of the reasons I am so excited about having a forum at Entmoot in order to be able to continue those discussions.

There are a couple of very positive reviews of the material at Lugburz and xenite.org. Both talk about the power and emotion of the lyrics. As we will not have the power of imagination available to readers of the Trilogy or the power of special effects available to Peter Jackson in the films, I have stressed the human or inter-personal relationships in the story and hopefully have writeen music and lyrics which properly convey the power of the emotions contained in LOTR. I am traveling at the moment but when I return home later this week I will post links to those reviews.

As for some of the posts so far, I am gratified that someone has visited the site and is interested in auditioning. I also appreciate Darth Tater's comment that it is well worth the read. As to cutting out Saruman, that was not my first choice. Originally, Saaruman and the Destruction of Isengard were in the script. However, after the intial reading of the script, it was apparent that it was too long and had too many characters. I chose to hang the story on the relationship between Aragorn and Gandalf and the Quest and the relationship between Frodo and Sam. If it didn't meet those criteria, I was hard pressed to include it in the final draft. Now before anyone has to big a fit, please admit to yourself that Tolkien himself had to make difficult choices as to what he actually put in LOTR.

Well I guess that's about it for now. I hope I can be a more frequent visitor and poster when I return home later this week. As far as dancing hobbits and Balrogs, well no...of course not. I don't foresee casting children in the roles of hobbits. As a very wise colleague of mine said..."You don't need actors who are short. You need actors who can ACT short." Also, as theater-goers are trained to suspend disbelief, if Aragorn, et al, are 6'5" or taller and the hobbits are 5' or shorter and then staged properly on a raked, or slanted stage, it will be enough to let the audience accept that the Hobbits and Gimli are much shorter than the human characters or the elves.

Sincerely,

Brad Marston
hama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2001, 09:05 AM   #8
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Hopefully you will get around to doing a musical of "Beren and Luthien". What with Luthien singing and putting Angband to sleep, Finrod's magical song duel with Sauron......etc.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 10:57 PM   #9
hama

Well that's certainly an interesting idea and one that others who have suggested that I do a musical on a small part of LotR or perhaps the Hobbit would agree with. However, I think I will continue to focus on re-writes and nailing down a producer for The One Ring before I look at any other projects.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2001, 11:03 PM   #10
hama

In response to Kyote Fields "I don't see anyway this will be done right." I don't know how much you know about musical theater but I think it might help to think of the One Ring more as an opera rather than a "musical" such as Annie, Oklahoma or Cats. I have written The One Ring more in the vein of Les Miserables, Miss Saigon or Ragtime which are very serious and epic in scope.

I am a huge Tolkien fan and if I didn't feel this project could be done in a way that is a tribute to Tolkien's work, I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-12-2001, 11:16 PM   #11
hama

Just as an FYI the reviews I mentioned earlier are at

Xenite.org Review and

Lugburz Review

Last edited by hama : 09-13-2001 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-18-2001, 07:52 PM   #12
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

How can I audition?
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2001, 08:27 PM   #13
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I would love to be involved in something like this! Even if I can just comment
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 07:11 PM   #14
hama

Pippin,

There are no auditions scheduled at the moment. However we are planning to be in the studio withing the next 60 days to record 6 or 7 songs for a final demo CD. You can e-mail me at mbradmarston@msn.com and I would be happy to send you the address to send headshot/resume.

Elanor, Comment? Please do!!! Currently Act One, Scene One, a synopsis of the script and lyrics of many of the major songs are available here atTHE ONE RING I would love to hear what you think. As the show is still in development, your suggestions may end up on stage.
Old 09-30-2001, 06:09 AM   #15
Elven Warrior Maiden
Hobbit

I saw what was written. Shouldn't bother emailing you hama, no way I could audition.
1: I wouldn't be aloud
2: I'm in Australia
3: I'm a girl, and there aren't many girl parts.

I'm starting to feel depressed. Guess I'll just have to comment and help, like Elanor said, if I want to do anything.

Just a thought, Pippin Skywalker, cool name.
Elven Warrior Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2001, 10:43 PM   #16
hama

Well I would love it if Elanor or anyone else here would comment and help half as much as you are.
Old 10-05-2001, 11:19 PM   #17
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Where will all this take place? I'm in Britain...visiting.....

I am really from NY.
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 12:38 AM   #18
hama

I'll be in NYC troughout October and November directing the recording of the cd...let me know when you'll be in town and maybe you can sit in on one of the sessions...
Old 11-01-2001, 05:48 PM   #19
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
THIS IS REALLY TAKING PLACE? SEND ME A VIDEO TAPE PULEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 02:27 AM   #20
hama

Sam...no wonder they call you wise...I had planned on taking still photos of the recording session and of course making the music available but I hadn't considered shooting a video. Of course it will only be the recording session and not a video of a full blown production but I think it could be interesting to people.

Thanks so much.