Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The One Ring Musical
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2002, 03:34 PM   #41
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

I'm sure you can write something as good as "Into the Woods"!!!! If you think you can't, you never will!! But if you say you can and try, you'll do it!!! Give it a try!!!! YEAHH!!!!!
Oh, Oh, "No one is Alone" is SUCH a gorgeous song. The melody is so pretty. *sigh*
There are a lot of good points made in "Into the Woods". Like, the quote you said in the post before this. The one about "If life was only moments, you'd never know you had one". Musicals are better if they make a good point. If your characters (and the audience, too, really) learn something.
You didn't answer my question, are you going to have an opening song?
Tell me if my never-ending questions start to bug you.

P.S.
"But it wasn't my fault,
I was given those beans
You persuaded me to trade away my cow for beans..."
Dude, I LOVE that song "My Fault"
musicalandlotrlovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:40 PM   #42
hama

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement....I really appreciate it. I have an incredible awe of Sondheim...his rhymes are so brilliant. I actually don't try to rhyme the way Sondheim does. His internal rhymes are brilliant. Perhaps I should work more in the vein of Sondheim....I think his brilliance mirrors that of Tolkien's quite well. Although I think that while a great writer, Tolkien is a rather poor and pedantic lyricist.

Gandalf's songs should probably have the erudite internal rhymes so identified with Sondheim....maybe in re write number 6.

As far as your "endless questions boring me...never...I am honored. As for "my fault" it is actually "Your Fault" from ITW. and my other favorite song of the same type is "The Blame" from Titanic" (the musical).

ISMAY

"POSSIBLY A SHIP WILL COME.
POSSIBLY SHE'LL STAY A FLOAT.
POSSIBLYALL THIS WILL COME TO AN END
ON A POSITIVE NOTE."

ARCHITECT

"NOT UNLESS WE LEARN TO FLY.
NOT UNLESS WE ALL SPROUT WINGS.
PARDON ME SIR I HAVE BUILT HE FROM SCRATCH
AND I KNOW CERTAIN THINGS."

Last edited by hama : 02-09-2002 at 11:41 PM.
hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 10:41 AM   #43
tilko
Sapling

Gandalf Sheets

I would also like to see the sheets!! Please...

The most I like Webber's musicals, as we sang them with our choir. But I would also like to hear some others. Does anyone know where to find recordings of these musicals? Perhaps somewhere on the net?

tilko
tilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2002, 11:10 PM   #44
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

I knew the song was called "Your Fault"

I knew the song was called "Your Fault". Honest. I was really tired the day I wrote that post. I'm really not an airhead. Truly (even though I know I sound like one in my posts). I'm just enthusiastic.
Sondhiem was brilliant with his rhymes, I agree whole-heartedly.If you want to "play" Sondhiem, I think a Gandalf song would be a good target. Either that or a Pippin song (I'm so stuck on that idea). You could have Pippin getting all messed up with his rhymes. The fool of a Took...
Does Frodo have any songs?
Old 02-15-2002, 12:24 AM   #45
hama

Well Gandalf's song "Beyond The Questions" probably has the most "intelligent" or "intricate" lyrics in the show and the most though few internal rhymes in the show.

I also listened to the second act of ITW on my way home from Hartford. It really is wonderful.
Old 02-15-2002, 03:13 PM   #46
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

How long?

How long do think the musical is going to be?
Do you have all of the songs planned out, or are you kind of making them up and placing them as you go along? (That's probably what I would be doing)
When/if you cast the musical, would you cast girls as the Hobbits since girls are generally tinier and shorter than men?
Whoa. This was totally an-all-question-post. Ahh! Must... relieve... tension... (Sorry, I'm just a goofy person. I've decided I don't want to know what you think of me)

P.S. From what I've heard of the music in "Follies" (More Sondhiem), it's really good. I love the songs "Losing my Mind" and "Broadway Baby"!!
Old 02-16-2002, 09:44 PM   #47
hama

The songs write themselves and place themselves...when what you to say is too powerful to put into spoken dialogue...that is when a song comes out....

That is how this musical wrote itself....
Old 02-17-2002, 09:31 PM   #48
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

Don't you love it when the songs just write themselves? And they turn out good, too!
Old 02-18-2002, 12:38 AM   #49
hama

Right now the script is 125 pages and I anticipate approximately 3 hours and 12 minutes running time for the show. And yes I love Follies. I played Old Ben in a touring production a couple of years ago.
Old 02-20-2002, 10:15 AM   #50
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

125 pages?? That's a long script....
So you think it's probably going to be the same length as the first movie? OK, that's cool.
"Follies" is an awesome show. I think it's really meat that you toured in it!!!!
Tell me if you ever direct "Into the Woods". I'll audition.
Are you going to cast and direct the musical when you finish it? I would like to audition........
Old 02-21-2002, 01:23 AM   #51
hama

No, I won't be directing The One Ring. I would hope that I have some voice in the casting but that will ultimately be the job of the casting director, director and producer. Assuming I find a producer, they will buy the rights to the script and music and then it will essentially be in their control. The producer will hopefully consult with me regarding re-writes but once they put up the money it will basaically become their project.

As far as ITW goes, I would love to direct it someday and well who knows? Anyone who loves the show as much as you do would probably be great.
Old 02-22-2002, 06:04 PM   #52
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

I wish you all the luck in the world! At finding a Producer and everything! I think you will find a Producer. I mean, from what I've read so far you have a good musical here.
Thanks. I'd love to be in "Into the Woods"... or "Les Mis"... or "Phantom"... or any musical, really. ITW especially, though.
You must have a lot of people asking you to be in the musical or asking to help you with the musical. I'm sorry if I keep bugging you about how I want to audition or how much I want to help or any stuff like that. I don't want to be annoying or anything.
I'm sure the Producer will let you help with the casting. I mean, you wrote it, right?
Old 02-22-2002, 10:09 PM   #53
hama

Well I would hope that the Producer would allow me some voice in casting decisions. Obviously this is my vision of the world that Tolkien created and the actors who bring these characters to life should reflect my vision but I am trying to be realistic.

As for being annoying, not at all and offers of help, how could that annoy me? I gain great satisfaction from peoples interest in this project and the encouraging words such as yours about what they have read of my work.

I posted on the Tolkien Books forum here at entmoot asking for comment from the "scholars" on this board but have gotten precious little response.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:08 PM   #54
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

They haven't responded yet? You'd think they would. I'd imagine it would be nice to get their opinions on "Tolkien's world".
I would love to hear the music to your musical! Do you think you could scan the sheet music and E-mail it to me? Or at least somehow let me hear "With His Words". I REALLY want to hear it. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:16 PM   #55
Earenya
Elven Warrior

Another actress here hoping for info about auditions/etc.
Would you like headshots/resumes sent to you? I think this is terribly exciting and I commend you for working on it! I agree with the celtic-influence. I think that is partly because it (the Brittish Isles) was one of the closest and last worlds to which fantasy and myth met reality, and being European, held much of the landscape to which Tolkein would've imagined.
Tiro! El eria e mor
I 'lir en el luitha 'uren
Ai! Aniron...

FRODO LIVES!
Earenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:37 PM   #56
hama

Welcome Earenya,

I am glad you like what you have seen so far. If you would like you can PM me and I can give you the snail mail address for headshots/resumes or you can e-mail them to me.

Brad
Old 02-28-2002, 02:18 PM   #57
musicalandlotrlovr
Hobbit

When are you going to actually hold auditions for "The One Ring"? In the summer? I'm assuming you're going to hold the auditions in England since you will be performing it there.
Old 03-01-2002, 07:56 PM   #58
hama

Earenya,

Actually, in addition to Tolkien's writing LOTR as a backdrop for his created languages, I think he also intended to create a mythology based on British/European history.

Brad