Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2002, 05:23 PM   #61
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Well, I really like Heart of Darkness and I think that Joseph Conrad is an absolute genius. But I can appreciate that it's not for everyone. I really like his writing style because I find the way he forms his sentences to be very intense visually and emotionally. But it's just this kind of writing style that makes it really hard to get into at first. It's almost like...it takes a while to get into the rhythm, and once you do, you get sucked in. But if you can't, you won't have a clue what he's talking about. So that's why some people love it and some hate it. This is only my theory.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #62
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Judith Krantz, and all historical romances!
I can't stand them either!!!! Oh, wait, I have only read one, and it was an assignment (yeah, I go to a really wierd school) but it was still terrible. *shudder*

Good theory, Mirrille. I know lots of people who don't like it, and lots who do.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 08:28 PM   #63
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

The movie based (loosely) on Heart of Darkness is really, really good too. It's called Apocalypse Now. If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 05:59 PM   #64
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Has anyone tried to read Catch 22 by Joseph Heller? I tried to read it twice and never got past page 75. It bugged the stew out of me how he would start an idea and never finish it. Like that one dude and the crab apples in his cheeks. I never really understood it. The only reason I tried to read it was because I wanted to know what a Catch 22 was.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 06:48 PM   #65
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Yeah, I tried Catch-22. I almost finished it, but then stopped about 50 pages from the end. It was confusing as heck! He kept switching people and jumping around in time. And the thing about the army cook controlling the whole country's market really confused me. Oh well, someday I'll try again and maybe it'll make more sense.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

Old 03-25-2002, 03:18 AM   #66
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
The movie based (loosely) on Heart of Darkness is really, really good too. It's called Apocalypse Now. If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it!
I REALLY want to see that!!!!!! Renting it, right now!

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:20 AM   #67
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Apolcalypse Now is a great movie!! And Martin Sheen is amazing in it!
Old 03-25-2002, 04:28 AM   #68
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Yay! Martin Sheen!! Anyone here watch 'The West Wing?' I LOVE that show!!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:48 AM   #69
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I love West Wing! (Well, actually, I love Josh, but I love West Wing too!)
Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 03:10 AM   #70
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Quote:
Yes! Martin Sheen kicks butt! Is it just me, or is the scene where he's coming out of the swamp and his face is all painted and he's on his way to do Kurtz in REALLY COOL?? For once a movie really captured the heart of a book - the heart of darkness itself.

Plus it's got a ceiling fan at the beginning. Ceiling fans are cool (Bladerunner is another good movie with a ceiling fan). They deserve more attention! Revolving is hard work, you know.

Old 03-26-2002, 03:39 AM   #71
Eruviel Greenleaf

Quote:
Originally posted by RosieCotton
I love West Wing! (Well, actually, I love Josh, but I love West Wing too!)
Rosie
Hooray! More West Wing fans! I might have to start a thread in the entertainment forum. ..

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-03-2002, 01:17 AM   #72
Jadera
Elven Warrior

Hmmm.....Maybe I should try watching the West Wing. Sounds like a pretty good show, from what you guys are saying. (And may get me out of my Invisible Man slump. Ack on Sci-fi)

The worst books I can think of right now are Harriet the Spy, which was majorly depressing, and The Man in the Iron Mask, which was also depressing. (The movie was okay, I'm a Jeremy Iron fan )

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 01:24 AM   #73
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadera
The worst books I can think of right now are Harriet the Spy, which was majorly depressing, and The Man in the Iron Mask, which was also depressing. (The movie was okay, I'm a Jeremy Iron fan ) [/B]
Hey! I liked Harriet the Spy!
Old 04-03-2002, 02:56 AM   #74
Eruviel Greenleaf

I liked Harriet the Spy as well, but that's okay

Yes, Jader, do start watching West Wing, it's really good! Martin Sheen for President!

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:35 PM   #75
Jadera
Elven Warrior

The Last of the Really Great Wangdoodles was a horrible book, now that I think about it. I couldn't even finish it, which is strange for me. Julie Andrews/Edwards is good author though, her book Mandy was fantastic, I'd reccomend it to anyone.

And biographys. I can't stand reading biographys, for some reason. I like doing reports on them even less. I might read J.R.R Tolkein's though.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 11:25 AM   #76
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by mirrille
4) Beloved by Toni Morrison.
I am having to read this for Honors English "Summer Reading". Naturally because I am being forced to read it I hate it, but I would hate it anyway. The style is puke!! I just finished Section One...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 10:00 PM   #77
mirrille
Elven Warrior

emplynx,
I feel for you...
Old 07-06-2002, 06:39 PM   #78
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

::cowers in a corner:: People are so judgemental about books it's scary. Just because you don't like a book or a style of writing doesn't mean it's a bad book. And before you go around saying that it's a horrible book you should stop to think about how you can say it so that you don't make people who feel otherwise think badly of themselves for reading and liking it. Especially when you didn't finish the story. I personally have never come across a book that I truly hate. There have been books that I wasn't particularily interested in or that I thought were boring the first time I read them and I have to admit that Lord of the Rings was one of those books. Then I re read them this last year when the movie came out and I found that I was now old enough that I could understand what was going on and what they were about and because I was older I found them much more enjoyable. And I've found that that holds true for many books. So before you decide that you hate a book, it's best to forget about for awhile then go back and read it again when you've grown a little. And if you still hate it. Then it's safe to say it's a bad book, but chances are you'll understand it better and it won't be quite so hateable.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 AM   #79
Draken
Elf Lord

Catch 22 is a brilliant book - it aims at (and hits) so many targets, all done with wonderfully understated black comedy. And I was surprised to find that the film version does (I think!) a good job of conveying what the book is all about.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2002, 10:09 PM   #80
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Willow Oran
So before you decide that you hate a book, it's best to forget about for awhile then go back and read it again when you've grown a little. And if you still hate it. Then it's safe to say it's a bad book, but chances are you'll understand it better and it won't be quite so hateable.
Alot of it is personal taste, but it's also true to say that just because something gets published, doesn't mean it's good.