Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Personally, I disagree with that point of view. If we were really bad (oh, I haven't had a chance to see the video, because I'm still afraid it will crash my computer. What happens?) enough to be called a "police state", the very fact that I'm saying "police state" would wind up having me disappear into the back of one of those sinister looking black vans I've always joked about. Many of you will agree with me, but I think, as a global society we're getting better. Admittedly, we'd be on top of the world if we spent half as much money on scientific research and those "dumb, expensive projects" like the space elevator as we do potato chips and video games and flavored toothpicks and movies.
Or how about we spend half as much on feeding the world's starving as we spend on space elevators?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tel
Laws now can be made without the consent of the congress or the senate, thus without the consent of the american people.
Are you equating the Senate and Congress with the American people?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:32 PM   #22
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Are you equating the Senate and Congress with the American people?
Through our vote they are our representitives.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:09 PM   #23
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I own both Animal Farm and 1984, but have yet to read the latter. I have, on the other hand, read Animal Farm twice.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #24
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telcontarion
Now do you think it's 1984 trolls' bane?

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles...6Olbermann.htm
Sorry, I still disagree. As long as I still have that space between my ears, albeit no more, I don't think this is quite like Nineteen Eighty-four. We're in a unique and admittedly bad situation, and I've been hearing about secret imprisonment and whatnot for quite a while (my dad is a vhemenent (Sp?) critic of Bush, et al.)

Gwai, I respectufully decline to acknowlege that. Building a space elevator would end world hunger. Once colonization of Mars and the hospitable Jovian moons is complete, plus the benefits from the space elevator (such as the Berkowitz-Helliwell People Mover System a friend and I are developing, as well as an idea I've had regarding gargantuan aerial tramways spanning the Strait of Gibraltir and connecting Russia to Alaska). You know, I'm also a big fan of genetic engineering. Eight-legged cows pack a lot of steak!
And much can be learned from zero-G genetic experiments (or so I've heard), which would become very cheap with the construction of a space elevator.
On top of that, development of terraforming efforts in the more hostile environments could begin to apply to the less hostile environments of Earth, creating rich farmland more efficiently than it's currently being developed. Not to mention oceanic and maybe even atmospheric colonization: whole floating cities and farms made largely out of carbon nanotubes (which are the primary construction components of the space elevator, and the development therin is crucial for the development of such cities) could be built.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #25
hectorberlioz

We should probably make a new thread for this subject...

I have to make it known: I'm against really "altering" the planet or animals for any cause...

One of these days our technology is going to catch us up, and it'll be the Fall of Rome all over again...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-18-2006, 10:05 PM   #26
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz

I have to make it known: I'm against really "altering" the planet or animals for any cause...

One of these days our technology is going to catch us up, and it'll be the Fall of Rome all over again...
You're a Red! Hectorberlioz is a Red! Get ready: There is no going back. Free Mars!
I agree. Maybe roll them all into part of the space elevator discussion. I'd hate to have a thread for every one of these ideas.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:09 PM   #27
hectorberlioz

I AM NOT red . Definitely not....

It's not that I'm anti-discovery/better means, it's that I think sometimes we leap into something just because it is "new" and think that it is automatically better.

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 10-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #28
trolls' bane

[Borg Voice]Thinking is irrelevant. The space elevator, etcetera, is better.[/Borg Voice]
Old 10-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #29
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I second that

Quote:

Amen!!!

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #30
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Quote:
I AM NOT red . Definitely not....

It's not that I'm anti-discovery/better means, it's that I think sometimes we leap into something just because it is "new" and think that it is automatically better.
I agree in fact i'm writing a research paper on that very idea how bio-tech and some of our greatest technological leaps need to be looked at a little more carefully on long term effects that sort of thing. *slaps forehead* in fact I should probably be working on that now.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #31
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This thread is wandering further from the topic than Moses did from the Promised land.

This is in the General Literature Thread and is about a BOOK

you can post on other topics in the appropriate topic threads.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #32
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
This thread is wandering further from the topic than Moses did from the Promised land.
Wait – is that the Jordan or Kadesh up ahead? or a mirage…?

Come to think of it, Smith cracks and surrenders in 1984. Sam Lowry cracks and escapes – into a mirage, a dream – under the same conditions in Brazil. It that pertinent?

Last edited by Alcuin : 10-19-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #33
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Everytime I see the title of this thread, I always get the Dead Kennedys song stuck in my head. [editted bad smiley-code]

Last edited by Earniel : 10-20-2006 at 03:45 AM. Reason: PiL smileys don't work here, and the code can be offensive
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #34
trolls' bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcuin
Wait – is that the Jordan or Kadesh up ahead? or a mirage…?

Come to think of it, Smith cracks and surrenders in 1984. Sam Lowry cracks and escapes – into a mirage, a dream – under the same conditions in Brazil. It that pertinent?
So...It's like a version of Nineteen Eighty-four with a happier ending?

Last edited by trolls' bane : 10-19-2006 at 10:32 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #35
trolls' bane

Quote:
So...It's like a version of
Nineteen Eighty-four
with a happier ending?
WTF happened here? Oh, never mind. I see now that I quoted it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:40 PM   #36
XRogue
Elven Warrior

I liked 1984. But then I remember being alive then...

Seriously, it's a good book. Spooked me but good with the psychological bits about breaking Winston.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #37
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Quote:
So...It's like a version of Nineteen Eighty-four with a happier ending?
Yes. In many ways, Brazil is a “happy” version of 1984. You have to take that for what it’s worth: all the folks in Brazil are smiling and appear happy except the folks in the torture chamber chair; but the society it depicts is every bit as horrible and soulless as that George Orwell drew from his vision of the future at the end of World War II. It is, in fact, a retelling of the same story, but with a twist. I remember going to see it with two good friends when it was first released in the 1980s: it took us about 45 minutes to recover our sense of reality. It is every bit as shocking and horrific as 1984, but it gets under your skin faster and easier, which is alarming.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #38
trolls' bane

Quote:
Yes. In many ways, Brazil is a “happy” version of 1984. You have to take that for what it’s worth: all the folks in Brazil are smiling and appear happy except the folks in the torture chamber chair; but the society it depicts is every bit as horrible and soulless as that George Orwell drew from his vision of the future at the end of World War II. It is, in fact, a retelling of the same story, but with a twist. I remember going to see it with two good friends when it was first released in the 1980s: it took us about 45 minutes to recover our sense of reality. It is every bit as shocking and horrific as 1984, but it gets under your skin faster and easier, which is alarming.
Neat!
Old 10-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #39
Bran
Hobbit

One thing I liked better about Brazil was the amount of contrast they gave you between the world the character is in and the one he would like to be in. In 1984 you don't get the impression that Winston knows how much better life could really be, only that he knows something is wrong. He doesn't seem as sure of what's missing in his life. While Sam Lowry of Brazil has dreams about being a hero with morals, in a world seemingly without heroes and morals, and heroicly rescuing the girl he loves, in a world seemingly without love. He dreams about being able to fly and having total freedom.

Also, Brazil is more about how sociaty in general went crazy, and not just it's goverment. It's about how shallow the world is becoming and how hard it is for people with values to live in a sociaty that is increasingly becoming amoral without going insane.

1984 is a terrific book, though. I can see why it's such a classic.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:31 PM   #40
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
It may look happier, on the outside, but I certainly wouldn't say it had a happy ending. Well, sort of...but it's a little to characterise that ending as 'happy'.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote