Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-26-2003, 07:39 PM   #41
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Jonathan is going to join in on the Lord of the Flies discussion. He has to read it for English. He wanted to read it before - but he had a lot of other things to read before. I figured we can wait for him to read the chapter and do his posts. Also - I've been sort of business and haven't posted like I should have.

Is everyone okay about waiting for Jonathan? I figured since we're only on the first chapter - and we just started, it wouldn't be too big of deal.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 09:53 PM   #42
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I have a question! I haven't read this whole thread just the first few posts but I think I get the jist of it. So are you only doing one book at a time or more than one book? If you're doing more than one book I'd like to make a suggestion. White Fang.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 10:25 PM   #43
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Fimbrethil
I have a question! I haven't read this whole thread just the first few posts but I think I get the jist of it. So are you only doing one book at a time or more than one book? If you're doing more than one book I'd like to make a suggestion. White Fang.
Right now - I think just one book at a time. We can add that book to the list though.

I don't think we can do more than one book at a time - I'm reading multiple books right now. Does anyone think we should do multiple books?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-27-2003, 08:37 AM   #44
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
I think we should do multiple books. But then again that's just.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 01:55 PM   #45
azalea
Long lost mooter

Not right now. We've hardly had anyone post yet on the one book we already have. I think it's fine if we wait for Jonathan, but I do think we'll want to pick up the pace a little after that, or else it'll take forever to finish the book.
After people start participating more in the discussion we have, we could then add another book (do a vote on ones that have already been suggested or something).
I think on the next one we should pick a start date, then do at least a chapter a week, so that we can do longer books if we want. After all, there's no reason people couldn't post about the previous chapter if they join late, or don't finish reading it in time. Certainly one chapter a week isn't too much for us Tolkien-lovers to handle!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 02:57 PM   #46
jerseydevil

yeah - I agree, we have to pick up the pace. I'm going to be away next week most likely - Tuesday to Sunday. If I am - I'll read chapter 2 while I'm out there. I may be able to get on a friend's computer while I'm in Indiana - just not really sure yet.

Jonathan read the first chapter now - so we can get moving on the second.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 09-27-2003, 03:53 PM   #47
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

I will join the Lord of the Flies discussion since I'm reading the book in english classes.
No need to wait for me since I have read the first chapter. I am ready to carry on with the next chapter.

Oh - JerseyDevil has already pointed this out. It seems as if he is pleading my cause
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 01:56 AM   #48
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Shoot, you guys started without me!

I'll join you in the next one, I guess...
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 02:05 AM   #49
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Shoot, you guys started without me!

I'll join you in the next one, I guess...
There is still time to join if you want. We're only on the first chapter. Although - tomorrow I think we'll move onto the second chapter. But you are more than welcome to jump in on the discussion if you want to read Lord of the Flies. The more people the better.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-01-2003, 05:50 PM   #50
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

Just saying, I will be apart of the Lord of the Flies discussion, unfortunately, it won't be as frequent as everyone elses participations.

Old 10-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #51
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

what book are you reading? id like to join....
Old 10-02-2003, 11:27 PM   #52
azalea
Long lost mooter

Lord of the Flies. We're on ch. 3, but the chs. are short, so you should be able to easily catch up. There is a thread for it if you'd like to read what's been posted so far, and then you can add your impressions when you've caught up.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:45 PM   #53
Brill
Elven Warrior

Though I am not joining your discussion on Lord of the Flies (being I have already read it), I would like to make a comment made on the OFFICIAL thread (it said members only, so I'll stick it here).

Someone mentioned the way Piggy speaks, and how he may be American pronouncing it ass-mar. Then someone else mentioned he might have had a lisp. People who lisp cannot frame to pronounce the letter S, so it wouldn't be a lisp.

BUT--I think a Hare lip is a giant possibility, for those unfamiliar with hare lips, people are born without a part of their lip so the doctor sews it up, creating a scar the resembles (in an astronomical way) and rabbits mouth. Now since there is less frontal skin on the face close to the mouth, the skin is pulled tight, making it difficult to pronounce words producing several different kinds of speech impediments. So, that's my opinion, which I know counts for very little being that I am not in on the discussions. If any of my HARE LIP information is slightly off, I apologize it has been a long time since research papers.

Happy reading.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:17 PM   #54
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Brill
Though I am not joining your discussion on Lord of the Flies (being I have already read it), I would like to make a comment made on the OFFICIAL thread (it said members only, so I'll stick it here).
Sorry - I guess I didn't make that clear. Anyone can really post - it's just that I didn't want people jumping in and discussing the books in general. Actaully - after the chapter by chapter discussion was finished - we were going to discuss the book as a whole and then anyone who wants can add to the discuss and about any chapter they choose.

You can add that post into the Lord of the Flies discussion - just mark in the subject line what you are referring to.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 11-03-2003, 03:02 AM   #55
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Do the Scarlet Letter next. I have to read that for english starting........now..........

Discussion on this would help.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:34 PM   #56
azalea
Long lost mooter

How long are you given to do it? I have no prob. with that as the next book selection if no one else does (although I read that one in high school, too), but I do have a suggestion for future discussions. I think we need to pick a set amount of time and divide it into equal parts based on the number of chapters in the book. That way we don't have one book dragged out for too long. For instance, we've been on Lord of the Flies for almost six weeks and we're only on ch. 6 (which is obviously a ch. a week), but it's such a short book that we ought to be able to have done two a week and be about done with it by now. The Scarlet Letter is similar in length, I believe, so couldn't we do three ch. a week (assuming that's the book that's chosen, it would vary depending on the book)? That would put the project at two months (that's why I asked how long it would take your class to read it), which seems a reasonable amount of time. It might happen that some people would have to post about previous chapters later on, but at least everyone else could keep moving, and interest in the project wouldn't flag in the meantime. Also, I find that if I have a time constraint, I tend to be more motivated to complete the task (and I say this as a confirmed procrastinator ), as is the case with a class assignment. What are your thoughts on this, anyone? Would it be too much, do you think? Otherwise, we're looking at a far smaller number of books we'll get to do in, say, a year.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:40 PM   #57
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

haha we'll be done by the time you guys are done with that fly book!

You can still do it next, might still help.

We are supposed to have read up to chapter six now I think.
Its a good sized book and...............a bit dull!

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:57 PM   #58
azalea
Long lost mooter

I finally remembered to check out the book again, and I'll try to post on ch. 8 tonight. I need some closure on this!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM   #59
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
I finally remembered to check out the book again, and I'll try to post on ch. 8 tonight. I need some closure on this!
Cool. I guess it didn't go over as well as I had hoped. It was a good idea - but it would have been more interesting with more people partaking. Oh well - we will finish it between the two of us anyway.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 01-21-2004, 05:32 PM   #60
Lady Ravyn
Thief Queen of Entmoot

oh! i missed it! can we try again? i think it's a cool idea! maybe with a different book? could you do a poll or something?

Proud Member of the Evil Mooters and upstanding citizen of the Planet Bob!

And all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be...

My Space!

Cynicism is what happens when a person opens their eyes; stops blinking in the sun, and starts wondering "why". Question everything, believe only that which you yourself deem true. Go ahead- Call me cynical.
Lady Ravyn is offline   Reply With Quote