Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Mari
Elf Lady

Mari's attempts

I often started to write children's stories but I never finished them. A few weeks ago, someone asked me to write him a story and this just came out.
It might be totally bad, but I'm just proud that for once I actually finished one.

I'd like to hear some critiques, suggestions etc. and don't be afraid to tell me it's absolutely crappy. I'll still be happy I got to finish it anyway
And more importantly, do you think it is suitable for children? Would they enjoy it?

----------------

Once upon a time, there was a girl who was bullied a lot at school. During the breaks she would withdraw and try to disappear so no one could pick on her. Often she could be found behind the bicycle shed with a book. Of course her bullies found out about that, so she would relocate once every so often. But right now this place was her place to be during the breaks.
It was a strange place. Because of the trees growing high and the wooden shed blocking the sun, all light coming there was a bit diffused and it gave the place a green and mysterious shine. Of course most normal people didn't see much special in it, but for a girl who spend most of her time reading books about magic and faeries, this place was magical.
And who said that being normal equals being right? For that place really WAS magical! Not the fairy godmother, goblins and trolls sort of magic, but the kind of magic that lets you see possibilities.

It was in this place that the girl sat one day, reading a book on flying. It was her greatest wish to one day sprout wings and just fly away. She would certainly not come back to this horrid place! But of course she knew in the back of her head that that was impossible.
However today the bullying was particularly bad. One boy hurt himself and he had blamed her. The entire class had ganged up on her and she had gotten into her first fight ever. After pushing the most popular girl into the bushes she had fled to her sacred place and there she was sitting, hating the place more then ever. It was this experience though, that let her cross that special border between normal space and magic space. She forgot all about knowing that being able to fly was impossible and really believed in flying away to hitherto unknown places.
She sat there dreaming of the places she'd visit and how she was going to make a living. In a moment of silly seriousness, she stood up and started flapping with her arms, still believing that she could fly. She did not lift from the ground...
"No, no no! This is all wrong" the girl thought. "I can't expect that I can fly by just flapping my arms. What do I need?"
She thought about it for a moment, not hearing the school bell ring, while leafing through the pages of the book she was reading. Somewhere it described aerodynamics. Where was it again?
When she found it, she read it again, ignoring the fact that it was meant for light-boned birds. She would need speed and wind to carry her higher. She'd need a high place... The roof of the school building!
Excited she ran out of her place of hiding to see if it was high enough.
Well, high enough it certainly was. But she also saw her teacher looking for her. Going to the roof was therefore not a very good idea. No, she'd better stick to the space behind the bicycle shed.
She backed into her previous spot, making sure her teacher wouldn't see her. Fortunately, the teacher didn't.
Back in her place, she thought of what to do then. Looking around her, she noticed a long plank laying on the ground. She could put that up against the fence! That way she'd gain height and she wouldn't have to leave her secret place!

Quickly she put the plank in its place and tested it carefully before deciding it was safe to use. She took a deep breath and made ready for a dash up the plank. Ready... and... GO!

Wild flapping she ran up the plank, faster and faster, running towards the end of the plank... only a few steps left now... flapping harder. And even harder.
The girl closed her eyes and thought hard of all the places she wanted to go. She was still waiting to reach the end of the plank and seemed to be waiting a long time for it to come. Her legs felt tired and her arms were getting tired too.
Slowly she opened one eye... and noticed that the plank under her had long gone! As had the school. Unbelievable but true: she was really flying.
The wind was carrying her and she relaxed the frantic flapping a bit.
It caused her to drop a few feet, but after the first few moments of panic, the girl quickly found a pace which she could keep up for a longer period.
She looked down at the landscape. Which country would this be? Was it still her own country? Where did she want to go?
Quickly she pushed away these questions and relaxed. She was enjoying her flight. Where she would end up didn't matter anymore.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote