Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-06-1999, 02:23 PM   #21
Darth Tater

Re: Hmmm....What a dilemma!

LiC, how do you like the books right now? Getting more interessting?
Old 11-06-1999, 08:49 PM   #22
Lost in Coruscant

Well....

Like? I wouldn't say that.... I'm on Chapter six The Old Forest in the first book, The Fellowship of the Ring. I've gotten through The Hobbit, though.
Old 11-06-1999, 09:10 PM   #23
ArwenUndomiel02

Re: Well....

i liked the hobbit.....when i read it i didn't know there was even a continuence!(sp) arwen
Old 11-06-1999, 11:50 PM   #24
galadriel1

The Old Forest

Ahh, you`re in the early part of the jorney then. Should be just about to Bombadil`s soon. You`re getting into the good stuff now. So you didn`t really say if you liked it or what. By the sound of your posts, you`re not really into it yet. Keep reading! It gets more and more exciting as you move on. It`s easy to get a bit lost on the first read. There`s so much to take in. Don`t try to overanalyse. Just enjoy the read. It`s a most fascinating journey!
Old 11-09-1999, 03:08 AM   #25
Darth Tater

Re: The Old Forest

LiC, I almost gave up the book at that point. Keep going, it'll be worth it.
Old 11-09-1999, 03:47 AM   #26
galadriel1

Re:

Definitely keep on the journey! It is so worth it! If you get too bogged down or fall into despair, just invoke the words "A Elbereth Githoniel!" Help will be on the way! :-)
Old 11-11-1999, 12:03 AM   #27
Lost in Coruscant

Okay, I got through chapter 6...I'll post about it later.
Old 11-11-1999, 02:16 AM   #28
anduin

Hey! Come merry dol!

Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow; Bright <font color=blue>blue</font color> his jacket is, and his boots are <font color=yellow>yellow</font color>.
Old 11-11-1999, 03:22 PM   #29
Hernalt

If anyone's getting bogged down with LOTR or Sil..

Just wait for BOLT... (force-reading BOLT may be worse than boot camp...)
Old 11-16-1999, 02:30 AM   #30
Darth Tater

Re: If anyone's getting bogged down with LOTR or Sil..

LOL. LiC, keep pushing through! This is when it really gets good (although by the time you're reading ROTK everything else stinks in comparison.)
Old 11-20-1999, 08:37 AM   #31
Elanor

LiC, I agree with those who have posted so far. I am a big (actually little--I am a hobbit in middle earth) fan of this trilogy, and read and discuss it with my (Earth) brothers. It's just so HUGE! Sometimes you feel overwhelmed by all this Numenor stuff and the power of great people like Gandalf, Galadriel, etc. But throughout LotR, the story is almost always told from the point of view of the least enlightened person--have you noticed that yet? Usually a hobbit, sometimes Gimli. You said, "lack of romance". You must be a female like me, because I can't completely enjoy a story that has no romance. But LotR does! At least three romances (one is my (middle earth) parents), and they're not bad. . I most enjoy the character development in this trilogy (that's one reason I never got into the Silmarillion--the characters didn't seem real). Sam especially grows and changes, and all the others learn and improve themselves. Eowyn, Gimli/Legolas, Treebeard, Faramir, Denethor . . . How can you miss out on meeting these people? . Definitely lose any impression you got from those cheesy movies. Use your own imagination, and don't accept anyone else's images that don't agree with your own. My (earth) brother and I have ongoing disagreements about appearances and pronunciation, and we always have to back off and let the other one keep their ideas, even if they're wrong (!). . Good luck in your journey, Elanor Fairbairn of Westmarch
Old 11-22-1999, 02:48 AM   #32
Darth Tater

What Elanor said. Where are you now?
Old 11-22-1999, 11:43 PM   #33
Lost in Coruscant

I'm still were I left off. I haven't had a lot of time to read, and with my mom bringing home a new baby soon, I probably won't have much time later. I'll try to get through another chapter, if for no other reason than to say that it is preferable to C.S. Lewis's "Out of the Silent Planet".
Old 11-25-1999, 01:57 PM   #34
Hernalt

Just wait, LostinCoruscant! There will come a day when you, too, will look back with fondness on the work of the 'greats'. (Once you realize how much **** is out there.)
Old 11-26-1999, 05:05 PM   #35
Darth Tater

What Hernalt said.
Old 11-26-1999, 05:45 PM   #36
dmaul96

tater

I don't know what is going on, but I going to say Tater is wrong.
Old 11-27-1999, 07:48 PM   #37
Darth Tater

Re: tater

Can't you feel the love in this room?
Old 11-27-1999, 10:10 PM   #38
Hernalt

Re: tater

Well, I have yet to finish HOME. I want to read Azimov's Foundation series the whole way through, plus Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. If you ever read HOME or BOLT, don't read the footnotes - they will slay your momentum.
Old 11-28-1999, 06:53 AM   #39
galadriel1

Re: HOME

You haven`t finished the series? I`m shocked! I figured if anyone would get through it, it would be you! :-)
Old 12-02-1999, 12:35 AM   #40
Lost in Coruscant

Re: HOME

Ack! I'm closer to finishing "Out..." but I'm still at the beginning of 7 in Lord of the Rings...*blushes*