Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > C.S. Lewis
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2005, 01:49 PM   #101
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Here it is - the letter to Laurence dated April 23, 1957 - Lewis expresses a slight preference for reading them in chronological order, altho he also says "perhaps it doesn't matter very much in which order anyone reads them." Laurence thought they should be read in chronological order, and Lewis said, "I think I agree with your order for reading the books...". And acc'd to the Letters footnotes, Lewis reaffirmed this choice.

Aw, just READ 'EM!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 PM   #102
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Shadowlands (with Anthony Hopkins) is excellent - a must-see, IMHO.
That's the one I meant. I glanced at the book version and thought it didn't look very good, but most book-of-the-film books aren't (I think the play came first, didn't it?). I'll watch out it.

I'm optimistic about the new LWW film. As long as the children are fairly good actors, it should be enjoyable. I like the tagline: "There are a thousand stories in the land of Narnia ... The first is about to be told."
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 04:10 PM   #103
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
wait, they're making a LWW movie? when did this happen? And I hope it doesn't do as bad as Series of Unfortunate Events
Old 01-25-2005, 10:58 AM   #104
inked
Elf Lord

IL, the BBC movies are available on video and DVD. You might wish to check them out while waiting for the one in production. There is a website for the movies: narnia.com. (I mean for the current production site, not the ones I am encouraging you to see.)
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:05 PM   #105
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
cool, I'll check them out
Old 02-22-2005, 05:33 AM   #106
sun-star
Lady of Letters

If anyone is able to receive the digital radio station BBC7, they're serialising 'Perelandra' every day this week. Just thought I'd let you know...
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #107
inked
Elf Lord

Sun-star would that be available on cassette or disc? Thanks!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 02-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #108
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
wait, they're making a LWW movie? when did this happen? And I hope it doesn't do as bad as Series of Unfortunate Events

Did you think the series was bad or are you refereing to the public's interest?? (You mean the recent movie, right?)

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #109
inked
Elf Lord

Here's an interesting Narnia site I found while roaming amongst the net:

www.narniafans.com
Old 04-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #110
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

I started reading The Chronicles of Narnia when I was 10..9? or 10? I think i read The Horse and His Boy when I was 9 then, didn't get a hold of the rest til about a year after that.

I used to like The Last Battle best but now The Silver Chair is my favorite. I just love Puddleglum!!!

One of my favorite sentances is at the beginning of Voyage of the Dawn treader:"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it...."

The movie looks good so far. You never know....

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 08:32 PM   #111
inked
Elf Lord

Here's a bootleg trailer, if you are interested. It is the official trailer. Since it advertises the movie and is the official trailer, I don't think it is officially bootleg. (That term inplies it was stolen pre-release rather than being officially released, but perhaps I err.)

Stolen from another site, naturally.

http://www.24web7.com/neomaul/video/NarniaTrailer.wmv

Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:17 PM   #112
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I agree, Jelly - that opening line is GREAT!!!

EDIT - just saw the trailer - looks good! Oh please oh please let it be good!!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 04-28-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:43 AM   #113
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
I also love the many parallels between The Last Battle and the Book of Revelations
I would have to agree with you there the last battle was always one of my favorites.
A question for all you narnia fans "Would you be likely to play the LWW videogame? that is coming out close to the first films release
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #114
inked
Elf Lord

Narnia trailer with HP : http://www.narniafans.com/?id=239
Old 05-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #115
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Thought someone might be interested:

Yesterday (20th May) was the 80th anniversary of Lewis' election to the fellowship at Magdalen College, Oxford, and to commemorate this the college screened the TV version of 'Shadowlands'. It's the first version of the story, made in 1985 for the BBC, rather than the later Anthony Hopkins one. Not having seen the other, I can't compare them, but apparently this is more factually accurate, and I thought it was very good. Joss Ackland, who plays Lewis, doesn't fall into the trap of making him like a stereotypical shy, unworldly academic - he's quite bluff and outspoken, just as Lewis seems to have been and as he comes across in his books. The film was a bit heavy on the visual symbolism (especially the snow... you wouldn't expect so much snow in Russia, let alone Oxford) but otherwise very restrained and dignified in its approach. The only disappointment was the lack of Tolkien! I know Tolkien and Lewis weren't such good friends by the 1950s, but I don't think any film made today would ignore Tolkien like that, since he's now probably the more famous of the two. The film made good use of Lewis' writings, especially 'The Magician's Nephew' and 'A Grief Observed', though the snippets showing Lewis as an academic were rather unconvincing. Nice locations too . Anyway, I recommend it if you ever get the chance to see it.

Last edited by sun-star : 05-21-2005 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #116
inked
Elf Lord

sun-star,
Thanks for the info. I am not sure I have seen that movie. But I have seen the Hopkins one. I think the lack of JRRT in both is due to the emphasis on the CS Lewis - Joy Davidman relationship and marriage.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:25 PM   #117
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I'm sure you're right. IIRC, the main friend of Lewis shown in the film is someone called Christopher Riley (apart from Lewis' brother, of course). Perhaps Tolkien would not come across well on screen - he was noted for his inaudible speaking style!
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:28 PM   #118
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

This is the "good job" the mods want you to think they can do...by withholding a CSL Mod!

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote