Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-16-2004, 08:33 PM   #1
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

What picture of Tolkien's work would you like to see?

Tolkien wrote in one of the Letters:
Quote:
I would draw some of the great tales in fullness, and leave many only placed in the scheme, and sketched. The cycles should be linked to a majestic whole, and yet leave scope for other minds and hands, wielding paint and music and drama.
It seems that this has been fulfilled in large part, and many wonderful paintings have been done by talented people of many of the scenes in TH, the LotR, and the Sil, even some of the other works. Some scenes, though, have not, to my knowledge been painted. The one I would like to see would be Galadriel journeying through Moria to get to Lorinand or Lorien, which she did several times. I could see the pillared halls, the lights, the fair Elves of her entourage, and the bowing (or scowling!) Dwarves. Have you a scene that you would like to see portrayed?
Old 08-17-2004, 03:24 AM   #2
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I would like to see illustrations of the story of Beren and Luthien. I'd also like to see a drawing of Feanor and the Silmarils. Maybe a sketch of Morgoth? I believe that the "modern" drawings of Sauron and Morgoth are very bad, what with the Iron mask around their heads and all. No one to my knowledge has ever painted Morgoth's face. I'd like to see THAT painted even if not by Tolkien.
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:26 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Moved to proper forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beren3000
I would like to see illustrations of the story of Beren and Luthien. I'd also like to see a drawing of Feanor and the Silmarils. Maybe a sketch of Morgoth? I believe that the "modern" drawings of Sauron and Morgoth are very bad, what with the Iron mask around their heads and all. No one to my knowledge has ever painted Morgoth's face. I'd like to see THAT painted even if not by Tolkien.
I believe one of our mooters, Arien the maia, has made a drawing of Morgoth, she showed it somewhere on the Entmoot, the 'post your pictures'-thread I believe. Ah, here

I'd like to see a good illustration of Gandalf's arrival in Middle-earth when Cirdan came to welcome him and offered him Narya. I don't think that's been done before.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:00 AM   #4
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Wow! Thanks for the link, Earniel. What a great drawing!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Hmmmm, now where have I seen this thread before doc?

As I said in the other thread, there are many renditions of Finrod out there that are not to my liking. I wish someone would do one that is.

I would like to see a rendition of the Nirnaeth. Of the arrival of the army of Gondolin, and the onset of the Noldor. That part where it says: "The light of the drawing of the swords of the Noldor was like a fire in a field of reeds" is just so awesome.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 10:38 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

one of my favorite scenes that would make an awesome picture... best said in tolkien's words:

Quote:
It is told that for a time Melkor was not seen again in Valinor, nor was any rumour heard of him, until suddenly he came to Formenos, and spoke with Fëanor before his doors. Friendship he feigned with cunning argument, urging him to his former thought of flight from the trammels of the Valar; and he said: 'Behold the truth of all that I have spoken, and how thou art banished unjustly. But if the heart of Fëanor is yet free and bold as were his words in Tirion, then I will aid him, and bring him far from this narrow land. For am I not Vala also? Yea, and more than those who sit in pride in Valimar; and I have ever been a friend to the Noldor, most skilled and most valiant of the people of Arda.'

Now Fëanor's heart was still bitter at his humiliation before Mandos, and he looked at Melkor in silence, pondering if indeed he might yet trust him so far as to aid him in his flight. And Melkor, seeing that Fëanor wavered, and knowing that the Silmarils held his heart in thrall, said at the last: 'Here is a strong place, and well guarded; but think not that the Silmarils will lie safe in any treasury within the realm of the Valar!'

But his cunning overreached his aim; his words touched too deep, and awoke a fire more fierce than he designed; and Fëanor looked upon Melkor with eyes that burned through his fair semblance and pierced the cloaks of his mind, perceiving there his fierce lust for the Silmarils. Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying: 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä.

Then Melkor departed in shame, for he was himself in peril, and he saw not his time yet for revenge; but his heart was black with anger. And Finwë was filled with great fear, and in haste he sent messengers to Manwë in Valmar.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

SGH, maybe you should ask Arien the maia to draw one, she's got an awesome style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
one of my favorite scenes that would make an awesome picture... best said in tolkien's words:
Indeed, a very powerful scene too. You've got to hand it to Fëanor, shutting the door "in the face of the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä". He had guts....
Old 08-19-2004, 08:58 PM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
SGH, maybe you should ask Arien the maia to draw one, she's got an awesome style.
I don't know. I'm so picky about it, maybe I should just do it myself.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 AM   #9
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

I think it would be especially cool to see a picture of the fall of Balin. That would be wicked and moving. Seeing the last of the Balin's dwarves fighting it out in Moria with all the odds staked against them. Man I think I would shed a tear.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
"Then the Edain set sail upon the deep waters, following the Star; and the Valar laid a peace upon the sea for many days, and sent sunlight and a sailing wind, so that the waters glittered before the eyes if the Edain like rippling glass, and the foam flew like snow before the stems of their ships. But so bright was Rothinzil that even at morning Men could see it glimmering in the West, and in the cloudless night it shone alone, for no other star could stand beside it. And setting their course towards it the Edain came at last over leagues of sea and saw afar the land that was prepared for them, Andor, Land of Gift, shimmering in a golden haze."
Somebody please paint that.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote