Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Hobbit coins

Speaking of things from Middle-Earth...

Quote:
New Zealand is attempting to cash in on the release of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit films with a set of special-issue coins featuring Gandalf, Bilbo Baggins and other characters from J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic.
The Hobbit coins, including a gold set featuring Bilbo Baggins, Galdalf and Thorin Oakenshield, will be available Nov. 1. The Hobbit coins, including a gold set featuring Bilbo Baggins, Galdalf and Thorin Oakenshield, will be available Nov. 1. (New Zealand Post)

New Zealand Post, which is issuing the coins, is aiming for the collector market with the most expensive of the coins: made from one troy ounce (31.1 grams) of pure gold and selling for $3,695 NZ ($2,957 Cdn).
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...s.html?cmp=rss

That's a little pricey, but you can get cheaper:

Quote:
The cheapest coins in the series have a $1 face value, but will retail for $29.90 NZ ($23.93 Cdn) each. In addition to an image of Bilbo shown reading his contract to become a burglar, other $1 coins depict Oakenshield, Gandalf and Radagast together and three of the 13 dwarves in scenes from the film.

All of the coins will be legal tender in New Zealand.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I've always quite liked the idea of special occasion or anniversary prints of coins. (Although I have given up on trying to collect the different national euros because there are so, so many special occassions by now and all on two euro or one euro coins that it's becoming pricy to put them all aside.)

I wonder though, how many of these Hobbit coins will remain in the legal tender? I remember when the Vatican introduced their own euros, the collectors were standing ready in line, making me doubt whether any of those Vatican euros are still in purses and wallets, being used today, rather than lounging in collections. I certainly never came across any.
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote