Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-23-2022, 07:56 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Visiting an Old Friend

Some weeks ago - I picked up The Hobbit and started to read it again. It's been years. I'm taking my time. And enjoying it. I went a few weeks without reading it - then picked it back up. Most of my reading is over my lunch - just a half-hour, which I usually eat at my desk (frozen dinners - *sigh* - at least I warm them up first).

After today's reading I have about two pages left in Chapter 8 - "Flies and Spiders".

It's fun to me how we're introduced to just one new character or type of people in each chapter - for most of the early chapters. Something like:

1. Bilbo (Hobbits) / Gandalf (Wizards) / Dwarves (well - you can't do only one of those and have a chapter)
2. Trolls
3. Elves and Elrond
4. Goblins
5. Gollum
6. Wargs / Great Eagles
7. Beorn
8. Spiders of Mirkwood

Anyway - as I've said, I'm having fun.

I'm sure that almost all of us BEGAN our Tolkien adventures with The Hobbit. Well, for those of us who read the books first.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #2
Valandil

I actually thought about starting in on The Silmarillion again at first - in advance of the new "Rings of Power" show. But decided on The Hobbit.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Old 08-26-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gandalf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil View Post
I actually thought about starting in on The Silmarillion again at first - in advance of the new "Rings of Power" show. But decided on The Hobbit.
I should read The Hobbit again considering it was the very first book of Tolkien's that I read in the summer of 1975. I haven't read it since.

My recommendation would be to read Akallabêth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, Aldarion and Erendis, and the Appendices in Return of the King. Read through Quenta Silmarillion of you have time, but the series starts in a week.
Old 08-27-2022, 08:27 PM   #4
Valandil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
I should read The Hobbit again considering it was the very first book of Tolkien's that I read in the summer of 1975. I haven't read it since.

My recommendation would be to read Akallabêth and Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, Aldarion and Erendis, and the Appendices in Return of the King. Read through Quenta Silmarillion of you have time, but the series starts in a week.
Definitely worth a re-read - and you might really enjoy the simplicity (but quality) of it, after all those years having gone by. Close to 50! I might have read it right about that time, or a year later, not sure. If you re-read it too, check back in and let us know your thoughts.

Yes - I should maybe re-read all those things you suggest. I'm almost afraid to. But - yeah, I guess I'll want to have it fresh in mind, for comparison's sake. So I'll get on those, but not until after I finish The Hobbit.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court