Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #1
Alcuin
Salt Miner

Beorn & Hobbits

I’ve just completed a reread of The Hobbit. I thought I’d post a few of the things I noticed this time ’round.

In “Queer Lodgings”, there is this exchange between Gandalf and Beorn:
Quote:
“Who are you and what do you want?” …

“I am Gandalf,” said the wizard.

“Never heard of him,” growled the man, “And what’s this little fellow?” he said, stooping down to frown at the hobbit with his bushy eyebrows.

“That is Mr. Baggins, a hobbit of good family and unimpeachable reputation,” said Gandalf.
Beorn doesn’t ask, “What’s a hobbit?” Does that mean he remembers them, or knows of them, in the Vale of Anduin? The Fallohides were from the northern vale, the Stoors from the more southerly parts. (Sméagol was probably a Stoor: he liked water and swimming, and was accustomed to boats.)

Later,
Quote:
…Gandalf gave a long shrill whistle, and presently Thorin and Dori came round the house by the garden path and stood bowing low before them.

“One or three you meant, I see!” said Beorn. “But these aren’t hobbits, they are dwarves!”
Sure sounds like he knows what a hobbit is.
Alcuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:59 PM   #2
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Possible. But I'm not sure. In the first instance, he might have just decided not to question any further about it.

In the second - I suppose it could be both that he knew very well what a Dwarf was, and judged based on Bilbo what a Hobbit was.

But... you COULD be right. This wouldn't be so terribly far from where the folk connected with Gollum lived. If that group also called themselves "Hobbits" (probably so - since the term appears to go back to the "Holbytla" - with which the Rohirrim were familiar). At least not that far with how widely Beorn ranged.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote