FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Happy Thanksgiving!

*Fireworks detonate.*

THANKSGIVING!

HO YEAH!!!!!!!

A HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE, EVEN NON-AMERICANS . The day has come.

*Thankfulness rolls into Entmoot like the Numenorean flood . . .*
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
katya
Elven Maiden

Happy Thanksgiving! (and hour and 45 minutes late.)

I am thankful for all you nice mooters.

xoxo
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

What's so happy about it?

I find any time when you have to get together with family the most depressing times of my life.

I usually find it to be a miracle when I survive to January 1st. I'm usually depressed to the point of just wanting to bury myself under a blanket and die most of the "holiday" season.

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Happy thanksgiving from across the pond! Enjoy your turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and everything (yum!)
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 02:03 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that, Curu. :'[ I haven't spent Thanksgiving with my family in probably 4 years now. I had Thanksgiving at home with my boyfriend and kitty this year. It was nice. Lots of traditional Thanksgiving food.

Chistmas with family though, not so fun anymore. It was nice when I was little, but now that we're all grown up, it's usually just a lot of fighting and crying and stress. I think we're going to all try doing things more sensibly this year.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I can't help but notice that this thread is several weeks late.

I hope you Americans had a lovely Thanksgiving. Also, is this the appriate thread for someone to explain the tradition of pardonning a turkey? How does that work? Do you still eat him after? If not, what happens? I mean, it all has something to do with Thanksgiving, right?

I think this part of Macy's Thanksgiving parade was pretty awesome.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
inked
Elf Lord

Lovely thanksgiving had by this 'Mooter with all the great specialties and delicacies.

Nurv, the only "pardoning the turkey" of which I am aware after 53 Thanksvings is the one that swallows the turkey and then eructates, which is appropriately followed by "pardon me" whilst reaching for more turkey!

But I should be interested to learn more.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #8
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its the American tradition of the president sparing ONE hand picked turkey (while 100 million of his cousins are stuffed with breading and carved to pieces the next day). Its usually ends in a photo op worth half a laugh or so... for example:

GREATFUL TURKEY PECKS LAME DUCK!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
I hope you Americans had a lovely Thanksgiving. Also, is this the appriate thread for someone to explain the tradition of pardonning a turkey? How does that work? Do you still eat him after? If not, what happens? I mean, it all has something to do with Thanksgiving, right?
Well, it's wonnathem photo ops. Until EXTREMELY recently, the President was just presented with a whopper turkey, who was calmly eaten for dinner. Considered an honor to provide it, like "The National Christmas Tree."

Then someone (during Carter's admin? around then) decided the turkey would be 'pardoned.' Presidents do a whopping amount of pardoning, lame duck session. Big picture taken, turkey was stuffed in the pot quietly a few weeks later.

Some smartass from 'the liberal media" decided to follow up...and it turns out the "pardoned" turkey (named by school child contest, etc.) wasn't living out its natural lifespan in idyllic fields, lol. BIG stink.

In steps the Walt Disney Company. God, those people are just printing money, lol. They take the pardoned turkeys for their animal park in Florida. Zoos got turkey's, right? And promptly put them on diet food, because, of course, commercially grown prize turkeys are forced into obesity, which causes their skinny turkey arches to collapse, which doesn't matter, if you're stuffing them into the chipper, anyway, but does when they're zoo specimens.

But a dieting bird is a cranky bird. Word up, sista. So they can't stay interacting with people, who should be (in the turkey's opinion) forking over Mickey shaped pretzels and other goodies.

The newest batch is going to the California park...although where they'll put them (since they seem to be downsizing their little zoo area) I have no idea. They'll think of something, at least until the heat's off.

Now every mayor and sherrif has to have a photo -op "pardoning" someone's dinner, which has a lovely fin-de-siecle touch in an economy where people are hungry, but led to the greatest piece of political theatre EVER, so I forgive it.

If you haven't seen it. Palin's pardon
http://community.adn.com/adn/node/134739
The link to the pardon is here, I believe.

And Olbermann's reaction to Palin's post-pardon interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCBCoZY1vM

Both classics.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May

Last edited by sisterandcousinandaunt : 12-01-2008 at 04:39 PM.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
Mari
Elf Lady

In our news we saw Palin pardoning the turkey and in the next shot a turkey that looked an awful lot like the one that just got pardoned was put into a deathly-looking machines in the background while Palin was still smiling in the foreground and speeching.
Whoops!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote