Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-19-2002, 10:48 PM   #61
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
OK You have a point there. But I bet Arwen only gave up her immortility and married King Elesser so she could be famous for thousands of years to come. And that way more people would admire her "great beuty".
I'm not sure if your being sarcastic or not .
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 10:55 PM   #62
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Quote:
Originally posted by Aragorn_iz_cool
OK You have a point there. But I bet Arwen only gave up her immortility and married King Elesser so she could be famous for thousands of years to come. And that way more people would admire her "great beuty".
i don't think that was the reason (weakly with mild amazement at your cynicism)
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:05 PM   #63
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I think Eowyn is a really cool character, but up against Arwen she just seems like a child. Arwen had been around for several thousand years and decided to give up literally everything for Aragorn (includeing her life). Eowyn wanted to get out of the house.

Eowyn is much easier to relate to, she is altogether human and her weaknesses are the things that endear her to us, but still, Eowyn vs. Arwen? no chance IMO.

(this is why Liv Tyler is so evil, btw, she's turned Arwen into Eowyn, ugh)
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:48 PM   #64
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Eowyn does seem like a child, but that just makes her interesting. What does IMO mean? As for giving up everything, of course she did, how could she not?
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-20-2002, 12:16 AM   #65
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I'd have to say Eowyn. Both characters have their good points, and although Arwen isn't in the story much, there are other good points to people rather than just battle-readiness. And Arwen is an elf. . .but besides that, I would say Eowyn because. . .well...(I sense Tano laughing madly right now)...I can relate to her character more.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:07 AM   #66
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Pffft. Arwen. Bah, she gave up immortal life to marry some long legged 'uman out of the woods who was 1/100th her age, and then when he dies, she realizes she did an oopsie.

Nar- gimmie a sheild maiden any day. Eowyn was blonde too- that counts for more than dainty elf feet any day in my book

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Blackheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:12 AM   #67
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart
Pffft. Arwen. Bah, she gave up immortal life to marry some long legged 'uman out of the woods who was 1/100th her age, and then when he dies, she realizes she did an oopsie.

Nar- gimmie a sheild maiden any day. Eowyn was blonde too- that counts for more than dainty elf feet any day in my book
Actually, he's more closer to about 1/20th of her age.

But I argree. Give me a shield maiden any day.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 04-20-2002 at 02:13 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:15 AM   #68
Blackheart
Elf Lord

What? you spectin da ork to do fractions now?

I use my head to bang on da keyboard and mak wurds!

Queer haow a cravin' gits a holt on ye -- As ye love the Almighty, young man, don't tell nobody, but I swar ter Gawd thet picter begun ta make me hungry fer victuals I couldn't raise nor buy -- here, set still, what's ailin' ye? ...
Old 04-20-2002, 02:21 AM   #69
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think you just did use fractions. Sorry for expectin da ork ta use more accurate fractions.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:35 AM   #70
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Fractions? that little slashy thingy? Ooooh- My head hurts now....

Old 04-20-2002, 09:52 AM   #71
azalea
Long lost mooter

"Don't pretend that goblins can't count. They can."
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:58 PM   #72
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackheart

You may be right, oh well, living forever would be boring anyway. Humans always wanna live forever because of avid curiosity, we wanna know what's next. Bt watching history repeat over nd over again would drive everyone crazy

Old 04-20-2002, 04:03 PM   #73
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Since when did orks care for blond hair? Aren't you more concerned about how many warts they have?
Wulažg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 11:05 PM   #74
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Noo- blondes scream in a higher key

Old 04-21-2002, 01:35 PM   #75
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

But there are lots of blondes with deep voices. You would think that shield maidens would be pretty masculine anyway. Arwen would be the most vulnerable by far. Except in the movie, where Eowyn is probably a wuss
Old 04-21-2002, 01:57 PM   #76
Elf Girl
Lurker

Galadriel was blonde, but her voice was "deeper than a woman's wont".
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 04:24 PM   #77
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

See? People agree with me.
Old 04-21-2002, 09:40 PM   #78
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Wulažg
. Except in the movie, where Eowyn is probably a wuss
Should I assume, by that statement, that you have not seen the trailer? She is definitely not a wuss....okay, shutting up now.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 10:32 PM   #79
Blackheart
Elf Lord

Your human ears just can't detect the subtle high pitch variations

Old 04-22-2002, 04:28 PM   #80
Wulažg
Elven Warrior

Hey, hey, none with the insults