Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-28-2004, 06:35 PM   #1
goodwarlord
Elven Warrior

how to write a good battle scene

can someone give me some pointers on how to do that?
goodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Study the battle scenes from your favourite books and notice how they approach it. Writers have different methods of this, some going down to very delicate detail, while others don't.

The best advice I can give you is study others battle scenes.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I would recommend reading as many books as possible with good battle scenes, and trying to get as close to experience in battle as you can. Joining the Society for Creative Anachronisms (a midieval society who sometimes re-enact battles) would be helpful, if that's the kind of battle you want to write, or interview a member of the society. If you want to write modern battle scenes, interview someone from the army, or join karate if you want to write about hand-to-hand combat etc.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Like A-F said, you can write it as a general sweeping view, or as a detailed 'dance' if you will.

Sweeping:

And so, their lances glimmering in the last light of their dieing sun, the Cavalry made a final charge on the ranks of the Wyrms, a battle cry ringing in the air as metal smashed on armored hide and the Wyrms set about eating their antagonizes, one by one.

Detailed:
[editors note: the Psionic being Danlor]

Glowing like a blade of pure light, Danlor's sword fell with deadly strokes and cut a path through the enemy. Suddenly another blade met his, this one as dark as his was light, and wielded by a Shadow Man of great size and strength. A strange force threw the Psionic from his mount and tried to crush him with its fury.

Rising to his feet with a roar, Danlor mentally threw the dark powers away from himself and lanced out with his own strength, striking a force nearly as great as his own. The two Powers met, struggled against each other, and sought an opening of any kind in the others defense.

Flipping a small dagger down his sleeve and into his hand, Danlor threw it with as much accuracy as he could muster. His dagger struck the Shadow Man in the shoulder, though nearly missing its target, and distracting the being's attention just long enough for Danlor to run forward and slam his blade through its middle.

Okay both are pretty bad examples as I'm just sitting down and typing them out on instinct, but hopefully they'll be enough to give you an idea of how it can go.

Now as for how to write them... There really is no 'right' way to do it, but this is how I try to work:

A. Don't use the word 'he' or 'it' too often, as it will get confusing as to who's attacking.

B. Use dramatic wording. Instead of saying 'the edge of his sword easily cut through the leather buckler' it might work better to write 'The keen edge of his blade found its target and sliced forcefully through the leather buckler, sundering the shield and rendering it useless.'

C. For sweeping battles describe the area as much as you can in your sentences, as it's more needed, as the battle(s) will be taking place over a larger area most likely.

'From the highest hill over the vally of Bethanur a trumpet's sweet note sounded, piercing and clear above the mighty din of battle taking place in the sheltered dell below. Lush green grass was trampled to blackened weeds by the feet of men and orcs, and the laughing spring silenced by choking black ash and rank bodies of the dead. War was visiting these once peaceful lands for the first, but not the last time.'

That's likely a little more than is really 'needed', but it should give a general idea.

Did any of what I just wrote make sense to you?
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 10:24 PM   #5
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Re: how to write a good battle scene

Quote:
Originally posted by goodwarlord
can someone give me some pointers on how to do that?
It's a rather broad request- there are so many different areas of battle. There's hand to hand fighting, sweeping battle movements, and then there's also strategy. Do you have something specific in mind?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #6
Arat-Falathion
A'mael Dalharen Eldarele

Oh, Lief Eriksson... master of battle scenes
Old 02-01-2004, 03:51 AM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Arat-Falathion
Oh, Lief Eriksson... master of battle scenes
Thanks
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:09 PM   #8
ISYer
Sapling

I think the best is to describe the environment and little details...like sweat drops or nanoseconds from death and stuff like that.....
ISYer is offline   Reply With Quote