Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-12-2004, 09:47 PM   #1
Yodaman
Elven Warrior

Fan Fiction Article

I found this article on fan fiction in my local newspaper. Here's what non writers have to say about this ritual:

Scores and Scores of fiction fans have found a way to participate in the lives of their favorite books, movies, TV shows, cartoons, and video games, They write story lines, called fan fic. And within fan fic youcan find subgenres, such as sexually charged "slash writing", which is for mature audiences only. On www.fanfiction.net, you'll find homesupun sequels, prequels, and spinoffs frof every thing from Harry Potter and Star Trek to Queer Eye for the Strait Guy and Max Payne.

Cool, huh?
Old 02-23-2004, 09:26 AM   #2
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I have a Tolkein story on there, called An Immortal Love. Its R rated so I couldn't post it here so I found that sight instead. A friend of mine also wrote a Peter Pan story, called Emerald eyes, Ruby lips which deals with the sweeter side of Hook. Some of the stuff's pretty good. Mx
Old 02-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Most Lord of the Rings fan fiction is terrible unfortunately. Day dreams usually do not make good stories, especially when it involves the author, self inserted as an Elf, being forced into an arranged marriage with Legolas.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Most Lord of the Rings fan fiction is terrible unfortunately. Day dreams usually do not make good stories, especially when it involves the author, self inserted as an Elf, being forced into an arranged marriage with Legolas.
But sometimes (like mine) which plays a similar Mary SUe love line with Legolas, whilst exploring other issues actually works. Try it, there is some good LOTR stuff on there- you just need to look really hard. Mx
Old 02-23-2004, 01:01 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

There are good fan fictions out there, maybe I'll go read yours. However, lousy writers have, in my mind, ruined any storyline with a "Legomance".

If your story is good, I will enjoy it though. I'm not completely closed minded.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Miranda

Quote:
There are good fan fictions out there, maybe I'll go read yours. However, lousy writers have, in my mind, ruined any storyline with a "Legomance".

If your story is good, I will enjoy it though. I'm not completely closed minded.
Well it is a Legomance but I hope you like it, it follows some issues quite close to me in the second part and I deny all relation to Tolkiens works completely- I use the war of the ring and events before and after very, very loosely. If you want my story you'll have to go into R rated, Legolas main character, 20,000 words and my pen name is Miranda Greenleaf. M
Old 02-23-2004, 04:00 PM   #7
Elf Girl
Lurker

I hang out at ff.net a ton, but I'm far from well liked. I critique Mary-Sues- harshyl a lot of trhe time. Bleh. I do write myself, but I have only one story posted as yet. My profile is here, if you'd like to read it. (Please? I need serious criticism!)

Miranda- You can write well, but there are a lot of canon errors and some of your characters or OOC. Would you like me to critique it? I tend to be quite harsh, which is why I ask with people I already know. You already know it's a Sue and that that doesn't necesarily make it bad, so I could skip my generic Sue lectures. Whaddaya say?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:37 PM   #8
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What's your author ID Miranda? The search feature isn't working right now, so it's the only way I can add you.
Quote:
Old 02-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #9
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

is registering on ff.net free? i assume it is... but you can never be too sure. i have something in the works and i've recently been looking at some stories there...
Old 02-23-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

It is indeed.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 04:42 AM   #11
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
I hang out at ff.net a ton, but I'm far from well liked. I critique Mary-Sues- harshyl a lot of trhe time. Bleh. I do write myself, but I have only one story posted as yet. My profile is here, if you'd like to read it. (Please? I need serious criticism!)

Miranda- You can write well, but there are a lot of canon errors and some of your characters or OOC. Would you like me to critique it? I tend to be quite harsh, which is why I ask with people I already know. You already know it's a Sue and that that doesn't necesarily make it bad, so I could skip my generic Sue lectures. Whaddaya say?
Canon errors? OOC? Can you explain those to me? You can critique if you like, I only listen to constructive criticism anyway. It doesn't bother me much if you want to criticise, the story was written as a present to my friend and its about a story we made up together a few years ago which I turned into my little epic. Its quite a personal piece and just a laugh really but sure, be nice to have some reviews. Mx
Old 02-24-2004, 04:44 AM   #12
Miranda

Quote:
What's your author ID Miranda? The search feature isn't working right now, so it's the only way I can add you.
My user ID is 510942.

Oh btw, before anyone comments that the main character in the story is called Miranda too- a) it isn't my real name, its a made up one and b) I named myself Miranda on here because of my story not the other way around. Mx