Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #61
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

I'm off tomorrow to go to Barcelona for five days - as noone has tried to speak to Baru yet, it might not cause too much of a problem

I might even be able to go online occasionally while I'm there.

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Old 10-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #62
Mari
Elf Lady

Sorry, don't know what to say or who to talk to or what to do anymore.

Varna, have fun
Fay, welcome back!

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Old 10-26-2008, 11:01 AM   #63
Varnafindë

I suppose it will be better when Haldis has accepted Baru - the others can't really welcome her until that has happened.

Perhaps they should accept Sirandion's offer of a meal first of all, though? It got sort of hidden at the bottom of the previous page, but it could be something to do - and perhaps someone would sit next to Baru and talk to her even before Haldis has said anything?

Old 10-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #64
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I have not written in so long. I could make something up, really, but it would be sort of not particularly relevant.
Psalm 56:11

"Starbuck, what do you hear?"
"Nothin' but the rain, sir!"
"Then grab your gun and bring in the cat."

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #65
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varnafindë View Post
I suppose it will be better when Haldis has accepted Baru - the others can't really welcome her until that has happened.
Barufiniel has a letter, so Haldis wouldn't have to approve of her joining the group, like she did with Magor. Gandallf is a pretty good reference to have on a resumé.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge View Post
I have not written in so long. I could make something up, really, but it would be sort of not particularly relevant.
It doesn't have to be particularly relevant, just write.

I notice a lot of people have a bit of inspiration trouble right now, apart from being busy with school, that or the Raft-Elves must be rather daunting!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #66
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Haldis seems happy being quiet while my focus is on several elsewheres. She's a very well behaved character that way.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #67
Midge
Faithful Gardener

I think it's just more that they don't know what to say, since Radagast isn't there. It's not like this group is USED to talking to strange elves on a regular basis!

And Haldis is very very good at keeping things running, even when she isn't being written about. We need to get Aika here, though! I miss our odd little Avarin (is that the word?) extensions.

Make sure to check out the C.S. Lewis forum. Game threads, movie and book discussions and more!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #68
feawen
The Lady of Laughter

lol im sure our to strange elf friends would have a field day with these new wine carring elfs!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 PM   #69
Earniel

Quote:
I think it's just more that they don't know what to say, since Radagast isn't there. It's not like this group is USED to talking to strange elves on a regular basis!
Oh come on, afraid of a bunch of little Elves? Hardly a match for those courageous adventurers who braved the Dark of Dol Guldur and the dangerous Inns of the East Bight.

And surely you've got to have something to say to Barufiniel. She's joining you, after all.

Quote:
We need to get Aika here, though! I miss our odd little Avarin (is that the word?) extensions.
Seconded.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #70
Varnafindë

I've only got a couple of minutes left of my internet quota - but I'm going home tomorrow, so will be online properly tomorrow night.
Perhaps Baru can introduce herself to somebody - or somebody will sit down next to her and start asking her questions?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:53 PM   #71
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I'm here, but to be honest, I've kind of lost the plot. I don't know where we are or what we're doing, and I'm not sure Aika's interested in coming back. . .I'll have to talk to her.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #72
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Crissaegrim? Isn't that the home of the Eagles in the first age? I think it was.
I think it was. It was also a sword in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Unfortunately, they got a lot of the ideas for items in that game from Tolkien. There's the Ring of Varda (most powerful item in the game, obviously) and the Ring of Feanor (definitely a shameless rip from Tolkien), and so on. I think that was a big attempt at connecting Castlevania with Tolkien in some way, because there was a sword on that game "forged by the Elves" and things like that.

Quote:
Ingwe, we've already had the bar fight. Sorry that you missed it!

*It probably wouldn't take a whole lot to get everyone here all riled up for another, though... just let everyone's injuries heal!

I've recently figured out that I've got self-esteem issues when it comes to my personality. Took me about ten years to realize it. That used to make me worry about what I posted, but I figured out this:

If you post something,
a) people will like it and talk about it
b) people won't like it and will ignore it
c) people may get offended and confront you, but as long as you didn't intend to offend and can apologize, that's okay. If you intended to offend, that could be kind of... malicious...

So basically, there's not really anything TOO bad that could happen from posting an idea. Everyone here is really good about hearing ideas, actually...

On another note:
You hear that, everyone?? NO KILLING NAMI!
Mainly it's hard for me to associate with people because I usually only stay around people like my wife and her sister, and their grandparents and of course some people in my family (not all). I will however try my best in posts to come, to sort of interact with the others. I can't speak Elvish so I have to speak in English (Westron) to everyone - that's not common for an Elf the age of my character, so fitting that part in is difficult.

Quote:
Only there won't be a bar available any time soon!
Is that how bad the bar brawl was!? I'll have to go take a look o.O.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #73
Earniel

Quote:
Perhaps Baru can introduce herself to somebody - or somebody will sit down next to her and start asking her questions?
Good idea, if none of the ordinary players have inspiration to do so, I'll use one of the non-player characters myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
I'm here, but to be honest, I've kind of lost the plot. I don't know where we are or what we're doing, and I'm not sure Aika's interested in coming back. . .I'll have to talk to her.
We have left Greenwood, heading north-east across the plains. We are now on the banks of the river Celduin, and have reached a camp of Raft-Elves that ship wine from the Dorwinion to Thranduil's people. The Elves agreed to do Radagast a favour and ferry you all to where the Celduin joins the Carnen river (that starts in the Iron Hills, where we are eventually heading).

So the company has just arrived at the camp of the Elves, and their leader, Sirandion has invited you all to dinner. Barufiniel, an Elf from Rivendell, who was originally invited to join the quest but couldn't make it, is also with the Raft-Elves, hoping to join the quest here. If there is anything of all this unclear, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 11-01-2008, 04:41 PM   #74
Varnafindë

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
Good idea, if none of the ordinary players have inspiration to do so, I'll use one of the non-player characters myself.
Great, I'll wait for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe View Post
will however try my best in posts to come, to sort of interact with the others. I can't speak Elvish so I have to speak in English (Westron) to everyone - that's not common for an Elf the age of my character, so fitting that part in is difficult.
Do you mean that you - the writer - can't speak Elvish? Because I can't either, so I'll say everything in English, and if I need to make a point of which language Baru is speaking, I'll just add 'she said in Sindarin' (or whatever). (She speaks Quenya, Sindarin and Westron fluently - perhaps even understands some other languages that I haven't really thought about yet )

Your character must have known something of either Quenya or Sindarin at some point, mustn't he? If you're speaking about him not speaking Elvish, is that because he has forgotten, or are you only speaking of yourself as the writer?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #75
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Yea, he would know basically all dialects at the age of ?????. LoL. But I mean I don't know them so I would have to do the "speaks in Quenyan" or "Speaks in Sindarin" thing as well.

Time for me to post eventually. A'mael hasn't been on here lately I don't think. I'll have to get her back into this because she's a good writer and I can't really go on with the rest of the journey without her.

Hopefully I'll get caught up on the plot. I basically have to read all of the second part of the story all over again, so I'll spend some time maybe tomorrow on reading and then come up with something the day after that.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #76
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Whew. Got enough in me still to write. Ingwe, I gave us an in if you want to talk to Magor for a while.

I can initiate my next post or something. I'm okay with that. Whatever you feel okay with.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #77
Earniel

Quote:
Great, I'll wait for that
And naturally, that's when my internet went out for 4 days. But I see Midge has been kind enough to engage her character Aerin instead.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 AM   #78
Varnafindë

I'll work out an answer to Aerin then

Old 11-05-2008, 04:06 PM   #79
Midge
Faithful Gardener

Haha... I completely missed that interchange. I just figured, "Well... geez... SOMEONE has to be nice to her!'

Anyway... I'll think up an answer. I will be hard put not to ask where Baru lived between Rivendell and Rohan, but I'll make Aerin keep her trap shut on that...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #80
Varnafindë

Quote:
Haha... I completely missed that interchange. I just figured, "Well... geez... SOMEONE has to be nice to her!'

Anyway... I'll think up an answer. I will be hard put not to ask where Baru lived between Rivendell and Rohan, but I'll make Aerin keep her trap shut on that...
Now she can be distracted by the other speaker as well.

Closed Thread