Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 AM   #61
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Sorry to hear that, but a nazgul in this team just wouldn't work in this story. Besides, that would launch that old debate again of what nazgul can and cannot do. Back then you and I had different opinions and that will not have changed today. But best of luck with your novel and other writings!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 AM   #62
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Why not have a "fallen" Nazgul?
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #63
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That's Viniglaen! She's totally a fallen, failed Nazgul, she's not cut for the cloth of pure dedicated evil, no way. She's loyal, yes, but has always been conflicted, and her royal blood is straight Numenorean, remember? She could be redeemed, couldn't she? And even if not it IS a thing to think about - I mean, is redemption available to Nazgul or are they just - completely irredeemable the lot of them? I am not saying she would be a GOOD girl by any means, but she doesn't need to remain a traditional Nazgul if that's no longer an option in this age of Leaves. anyway I'm just sayin'.

I don't really need to join your RPG but it would be so much fun. And Viniglaen could be good. She is awesome! She loves animals and humans and art and music, why can't she be able to be alive again? It's not fair she has to stay bound to that crap just because she stole that stupid ring of power so long ago... And he whole Nazgullian family to whom she was so loyal all deserted her or turned their backs away, even though she would've done anything for them. Can't she be alive again? Probably not, huh. Well. It would be a fun, interesting quirky angle wouldn't it...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 AM   #64
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
Hm. From what I know, such a character seems impossible. Nazgul = the nine dudes (not all of whom were Numenorean) who were given Rings Of Power and eventually lost their free will to Sauron. Those guys turned into dust, I think, after Gollum the hero destroyed the One Ring. If those rings were ever found, they wouldn't have had any Power, anyways. There were no Nazgullian families. Mayhaps one of the nine humans had a family as he was turning into a Nazgul. I could call that a Nazgullian family, mayhaps, but there weren't any such things as a Nazgul daddy, a Nazgul mommy, an annoying and rebellious teen-aged daughter Nazgul, a geekish and anti-social middle child of a Nazgul, and a bratty suck up of a youngest child Nazgul. With a little Nazgul pet cat.

Towards the idea of the possibility that a Nazgul could be redeemed, it would have to happen in a crazy alternate reality to Tolkien's writings, since there were only ever nine Nazgul, none had free will, and they were all destroyed. It seems possible that, if his Ring Of Power was take from Sauron and never given back to the guy, he might, after a really long time, be able to grow a normal human mind again. Mayhaps this thread is not a good spot to discuss this, though? I am not sure but plenty interested in crazy ideas like this, since I have the quest to have a representative of every Tolkien type race except nasssty hobbit.

- Myself
Old 10-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #65
Earniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Why not have a "fallen" Nazgul?
For the reasons I have given. A Nazgul turned to good, liking living things, surviving the One Ring's destruction, and having a fully functional/visual body without a hitch, is a bit too far from what I consider plausible for a character in this game. Also, without giving too much away, there are possible future plot inconsistancies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I am not saying she would be a GOOD girl by any means, but she doesn't need to remain a traditional Nazgul if that's no longer an option in this age of Leaves. anyway I'm just sayin'.
But Lotesse, Viniglaen has been anything but a traditional Nazgul. She had but a few of the traditional nazgul aspects, nearly none of their draw-backs and a decent load of non-canon extra abilities. That romaticised take on Nazguls and the slightly disfuntional family they formed, worked in the King and Nazgul game (even though there was more than enough debate and dissent about it) but it wouldn't work in this game. I'm afraid I have a more rigid view on Nazguls.

Quote:
Can't she be alive again? Probably not, huh. Well. It would be a fun, interesting quirky angle wouldn't it...
It would, but it doesn't quite fit in the scope of this game. It would, I'm sure, make a great subject for a short story, or even perhaps a future RPG, a solitary nazgul coping in the fourth age, without its master... Just not here. But as I said, you are free to play a character very much like Viniglaen, why not a descendant if you like, just not as a Nazgul.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:40 AM   #66
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Actually i'd have thought, as The Gaffer seems to be hinting at, that it would rather fit in well with the theme of a task for redemption. (radhaghast)

After the fall of Sauron, the disembodied fea, driven by an overwheming passion to seek redemption felt even over the sundered seas, is given the body of a dying lonely (and lovely) maiden, on the banks of a river, at dawn on the second moon, by the power of grace, to have one last chance for redemption...

it is what tales are made of ... the stuff of legend and RPG

Given this new body, and being perfectly placed to help out (Vinni, rather 'technically' old and privy to certain information from the Sauron days, she could be a wonderful asset to the team)

YayGollum -actually this IS the place to discuss this - as it relates to RPG and previous rpg characters and players signed up for this rpg

Welcome though - i look forward to rpg'ing with you

best BB

Last edited by Butterbeer : 10-12-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #67
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

You guys are being extremely unreasonable.

1. The GM runs the game. The title means Game Master. Or, to some, God Moder. Basically meaning all-powerful .

2. The GM plans out the game. There has to be room for flexibility, but there are things that they simply know from the start wont work at all.

3. The GM told you no to a character idea, gave you plenty of reasons, and yet you continue to argue your case. Why? She said no, and you claim you're too busy but keep fighting for it. Make up your mind--which is it?

You guys are being extremely unreasonable. If Earniel doesn't want a fallen Nazgul in her group, then there wont be one. It's as simple as that. If she'd said 'no' to my bard/scholar character, I would have written a new one. It has happened before to me--you just make a new character and move on.

Also keep in mind the scope of the story as she's described it--fighting skills are suggested at a bare minimum level, but not required at powerful levels. A Nazgul is basically a god in terms of the plot as she describes it.

I know we're all reasonable people, and this argument has been fairly level to this point, but I would hate to see another post on this point when Earniel has already very clearly (several times) said no.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:00 PM   #68
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

??

argument?

i'm just here for some fun friendly rpg

- er, was just an idea...

and heh, old barly is danger personified doing any sort of DIY task - man, give him a plank and even Orome and his golden shield would take a few cautious steps back

best all, BB

remember - have fun!
Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM   #69
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I'm glad it's settled then.

BTW: Butterbeer--I was just checking the forum before heading off to a school thing and I saw your mispost. I went ahead and deleted that for you.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #70
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

no worries.

was just going to edit it with something relevant - i was kinda suprised that i had missed so much in the drunk pirates - like new players joining ... that's odd i thought ... so i just posted jack being lost!

- only after browsing the rpg forum did i notice the error

i need another drink - oh, and some sleep?

have fun!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:52 AM   #71
Earniel

I'm also glad this is settled.

Willow, would you be so kind to change the line "I'll say no more for now", to "I'll say but a little for now"? I decided to give some explanation after all and otherwise it looks like Radagast is of very short memory.

So, we have so far:

Characters in the game:
Eärniel - Radagast
Acalewia - Aelfwine
Willow - Haldis
YayGollum - Truor, Knockonder, Shadowflaps & Blossomshade
Orithil - Hedrim Valdaes
Me9996 - Ferrin
Neulbar - Earthshaker & Bowen

Characters not yet entered:
Ingwë - Ingwionis
Tessar - Branwyn

People not made a character yet:
brownjenkins
The Gaffer
Beren One-hand
The last sane person
Nautipus (away 11-16oct)

I'll see that I prod the last group through PM to hear if they're still interested.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 AM   #72
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Still interested, but things have been very busy over here as of late. I've worked a bit on my character, and will probably post it in a day or so. I have to read the posts and comments, and play catch up too. Yeesh.

Okay, here is my dude, I'll post in the actual game thread once I've read it through tommorow.

Hmm, right well, interesting. Time to put on the old thinking cap then...
.....*thinkthinkthink* *then sees mom's red dish piled high with taco stuffing* Aha! (I kid you not)

Name: Carnehilion Redplate

Race: A Man. Though perhaps "Mutt" ought to be a better description, he has a bit of everything mixed in, in terms of different mannish cultures, and who knows what other races, if any.

Age: Lordy knows with his mixture of genes, yet he looks to be somewhere around late 20's to early 30's. I have no idea when he was born, and I don’t think that he does either. He was very much fully grown when the Ring War climaxed and took part in it on behalf of Rohan.

Appearance: Decidedly scruffy. Medium length brown hair, not quite to his shoulder with bangs, usually going in any direction it pleases. He is of sturdy build, and of average man height with a bit of a beard. Not really much noticeable about him save for his eyes, one of which is green and the other is brown.

His clothes are plain earth tones, and wears an assorted miscellany of armor, most of which is dented and dinged, the only decent piece of equipment he has is a plain hand and a half sword and his shield*.

Personality: Fairly chill fellow, being capable of working well with others, though he might not be overly friendly with anyone, and has the air of being perpetually bored. Has a sharp sense of humor, sarcastic as hell, and good at letting fly the one-liners at juuuust the right time. He can at times come off as being a bit gruff, but deep beneath his scruffy interior, he is an alright guy.

Leadership Quality : He leads when he has to and does a fairly decent job of it, though it just isn’t his cup of tea, and will avoid it if he can.

Background: Well, he is as his heritage prescribes him to be; a dab of everything just for good measure. First and foremost he is a fighter. I won’t say a warrior, because that has too noble a connotation, Carnehilion will go after just about anything if the mood takes him. His fighting style is far from polished, but what counts is that it is as effective as it is brutal; he will happily kill you with anything that comes to hand. And should nothing come to hand, he’ll do his best to kill you with them. Originally, he hails from anywhere his father traveled too, he has no recollection of his mother, and no idea what really happened to her, seeing as his father didn’t exactly like to speak of it. He figures she’s dead, and more then likely killed in some orc raid, seeing as his father had a seemingly unquenchable hatred for them; A hatred which he in turn inherited.

He spent most of his time both in Dale, or Rohan, and everywhere in between. In between killing various nasties, to bring home the bacon, he became an accomplished shield smith and saddle maker (*yes, he makes his own shields and saddles for his horse). He upon one of his hunts for nasty things he stumbled upon Gandalf, whom upon seeing his talent at finding rather evil things enlisted him in the search for Gollum. In the end Carnehilion was the one that gave the tip off to the Rangers as to where to find the beast, and the rest is history. After that, Gandalf would at times show up and ask him to scout around, or whatever else he had in mind.

Then came the War to end all Wars (over the ring at least), Carnehilion was in residence in Rohan at the time, and for want of a good scrap, answered the summons of the King and rode with the warriors of Rohan. So, when the last summons of Gandalf arrived, he clad himself accordingly and rode off to join Radagast.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-13-2007 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #73
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
I'm also glad this is settled.

Willow, would you be so kind to change the line "I'll say no more for now", to "I'll say but a little for now"? I decided to give some explanation after all and otherwise it looks like Radagast is of very short memory.

So, we have so far:

Characters in the game:
Eärniel - Radagast
Acalewia - Aelfwine
Willow - Haldis
Orithil - Hedrim Valdaes
Me9996 - Ferrin

Ingwë - Ingwionis
Tessar - Branwyn

brownjenkins
The Gaffer
Beren One-hand
The last sane person
Nautipus (away 11-16oct)

I'll see that I prod the last group through PM to hear if they're still interested.
er, you seem to have missed out Barliaman Butterbur, played by, er ... Butterbeer

or maybe you didn't get the letter he sent?

Best BB
Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #74
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Heh, but the thing to wonder about is if he will even remember to come, or will the whole time during RPG will he be in the pub wondering about what exactly it was that he forgot?
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #75
Earniel

Nice profile, Sane. I certainly don't mean to rush you to post. Take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
er, you seem to have missed out Barliaman Butterbur, played by, er ... Butterbeer

or maybe you didn't get the letter he sent?

Best BB
Heheh. Yes and no. I did see your post but didn't know whether you were going to play Barliman or someone to whom he had to deliver one of those letters that keep slipping from his mind. But are you sure Barliman would be someone whom Gandalf would select for this mission?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 PM   #76
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Nice profile, Sane. I certainly don't mean to rush you to post. Take your time.

Heheh. Yes and no. I did see your post but didn't know whether you were going to play Barliman or someone to whom he had to deliver one of those letters that keep slipping from his mind. But are you sure Barliman would be someone whom Gandalf would select for this mission?
i must confess, that made me laugh out loud.

To be sure, it is ol' Barly that is the character - and whether t'was gandalf's original design or Barli's ineptitude ...

since he can find no other, and having no clue as to the distance ...

also i always loved Gandalf's sense of humour - and his bushy eyebrows - both wise and compassionate and quick to anger ...

oh and he liked a beer -

P.S. Good to see you here Shah!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 AM   #77
Earniel

Still waiting for the last few stragglers and then we start with the Explanation and Plotting.

Let's do another check:

Characters in the game:
Eärniel - Radagast
Acalewia - Aelfwine
Willow - Haldis
Orithil - Hedrim Valdaes
Me9996 - Ferrin
The Gaffer - Hamfast Gamgee
Butterbeer - Barliman
The last sane person - Carnehilion

Ingwë - Ingwionis
Tessar - Branwyn

brownjenkins
Beren One-hand
Nautipus

Have I got everybody this time?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #78
Nautipus
Kraken King

I'll try and post a character file later tonight, just cant right now, got school. Later.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 10-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #79
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

I've been slacking!

Okay, I'll toss an idea out...

This story needs an antagonist, so what if I were to take the part of the long lost Alatar? For the character, we can take the point of view that he was at least somewhat corrupted by Sauron and took on a behind-the-scenes position of power among the Easterlings in Rhun (contrary to Tolkien's very last notes on the Blue Wizards, but plausible none the less). Now, with the big guy gone, he has some plans of his own.

How does this fit in? Well, I assume the search will most certainly make it's way towards Rhun, so they'll plenty of room for interaction at that point. There is also some mention of Aragorn and Eomer taking action in that direction in the Fourth Age, so they could possibly fit in later as well.

Until then, I could work on a post or two about Alatar's past few thousand years as I wait for the others to arrive, which'll give me time to come up with something good.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:19 PM   #80
Earniel

Darnit, BJ, stop reading my plot notes!

*sighs and crumbles plans for future revelations*