FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #41
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

*sneaks in*

Name: Haldis
Marital Status: Widow
Appearance: Dressed practically for her environment. Frizzy, auburn hair, square jaw, medium height and build verging on being describable as 'big-boned'. Definite freckles and indeterminably colored eyes.
Bio: A neighbor of Radagast's and one of the Beornings. Lives alone, but with a steady stream of visitors. Wields a mean breadknife, is reasonably competent with various remedies to common ailments/injuries and makes excellent honey-cakes. Good with bees. A witch, therefore, by some defenitions.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi

Last edited by Willow Oran : 10-09-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #42
Nautipus
Kraken King

Hey, seeing as how I've never ever done anything like this before, could someone kind-of guide me on what kind of character is needed?

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 10-08-2007, 06:04 PM   #43
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yeah, and what sort of dividing line do you see between this thread and the RPG thread. Is everything, for example, on the other thread supposed to be "in role"?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #44
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautipus
Hey, seeing as how I've never ever done anything like this before, could someone kind-of guide me on what kind of character is needed?
Well, what sort of character appeals to you? You've got Elves, with their tricks of walking on snow, sharp sense and a fair bit of sneaking or healing abilities. You've got Dwarves, with excellent stamina and a good feeling for caves. Hobbits are often fun to play and they're pretty resiliant for what they lack in physical power. Beornings with the added nifty bit of going bear when they want to (usually a personal favourite). Rohirrim with horses, like Acalewia is playing. Just plain Men is sometimes equally refreshing. Even a Southron from Harad would be a possibility. For starting, I would suggest a character that you'd feel comfortable playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
Yeah, and what sort of dividing line do you see between this thread and the RPG thread. Is everything, for example, on the other thread supposed to be "in role"?
I suppose I've gotten into a habit of playing with two threads where one 'game thread' is reserved only for writing events in the game, so yes, you could say that one's 'in role'. And the second 'discussion thread' (that would be this one) is reserved for any discussion about the game, such as character descriptions, questions, plot discussions, comments, newcomer introductions or announcements of longer absenses, and related things. I found it keeps things straightforward and makes the game thread far more readable later on.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:23 PM   #45
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
Well, what sort of character appeals to you? You've got Elves, with their tricks of walking on snow, sharp sense and a fair bit of sneaking or healing abilities. You've got Dwarves, with excellent stamina and a good feeling for caves. Hobbits are often fun to play and they're pretty resiliant for what they lack in physical power. Beornings with the added nifty bit of going bear when they want to (usually a personal favourite). Rohirrim with horses, like Acalewia is playing. Just plain Men is sometimes equally refreshing. Even a Southron from Harad would be a possibility. For starting, I would suggest a character that you'd feel comfortable playing.

Alright, sounds easy enough. I'll post a bio later, when I come up with one.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"
"Where?"
"There!!!!"
"Oh."

-Excerpts from A Tale of Two Morons
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #46
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
Here are three. Should be all kinds of fun. Tell me if there is a problem with any of them. The only one that I can see is that Blossomshade's history might not work well with whatever plans were made for what happened to those Ent people. But then, mayhaps a giant eagle character would be unwelcome. I don't know. Also, yes, Yay for Beornings!

Name: Truor Tupnm

Race/Sex: Beorning/Male

Appearance: short (about five feet), long black hair, green eyes, not the handsomest dude you've ever seen, wears hodge-podge armour and a helmet, he also has a superly cool and large and silver shield with a golden bear embossed on it

Weapons: crossbow, throwing knives, poison dart blower, badly made and clublike sword (for the few times he'd be anywhere near the enemy)

Personality: stubborn, loyal, lover of lost causes, but will do much to be on the side that wins, hates elves, open-minded to pretty much anything else, curious, hates responsibility, thinks of himself first, then the other Beornings, then whoever he's with at the time

History: he was superly bored with the Vale of Anduin and left to explore, he learned all kinds of things about all kinds of races (some Dwarves, Lossoth, corsairs of Umbar, and Woses) then he *heroic music in the background* became the king of the Vale of Anduin when he got back home after his dad died. He didn't like the job and gave it to his younger brother Tilit a while ago.

Other: has a best friend of a horse named Anthrax, a sidekick of a raven named Shadowflaps, and an annoying follower of a compulsive liar of a giant eagle named Knockondor

__________________________________________________ _________

Name: Knockondor

Race/Sex: one of those giant eagle thingys/Male

Appearance: picture a really really big one of those African fish eagles, sometimes his feathers look a little out of order, but that's just because he's trying to hide little trinkets he steals, he's short for a giant eagle (around ten or eleven feet tall). I found a place with a picture of an African fish eagle, but it's only for the people who can't picture him already. Why not? I had
only seen the adult before, but now I picture Knockondor as one of the younger ones. Crazy looking.
http://www.kenyabirds.org.uk/f_eagle_flying.htm

Weapons: Well, since it'd be pretty impractical to be a giant eagle hopping around on one foot and holding a sword or something in the other, I'll just say his talons and beak.

History: born in those big mountains in Valinor, left when that crazy sinking of Numenor thing was going on, couldn't find his way back afterwards, he ended up getting adopted by a family of scout type giant eagles in the Misty Mountains, he was a huge Outcast there, but most accepted him anyways, he was captured by Orcs and was saved by Truor and comes back to stay with Truor a lot, trying to repay him in usually not very helpful ways, also, after finding an Entwife, he thinks that he's doing something noble by uselessly looking for any Ent to set her up with.

Personality: a compulsive and not very successful liar, superly low self esteem, annoying most of the time, but impressive to people who actually believe him, he's a coward, but loves to attack and eat Orcs, very forgetful and not able to tell most races apart, but then, lots of his eccentricities are there just to get attention, he may seem unintelligent and full of unnecessary quirks most of the time, but I found out that he actually knows what he's doing.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Name: Blossomshade

Race/Sex: Ent type thing/Female

Appearance: magnolia type of tree looking Ent lady, creepy and superly deep green eyes. What else can you say? I wouldn't know how tall the lady is. You know what an Ent looks like, I hope. Nine toes and fingers, as far as I know.

Weapons: just her arms and legs, I guess. I'd be afraid. Hm. Maybe she can hold a couple of huge claymores achingly easily? Nah. Too scary.

Personality: very unique and proud of it, anti-social unless it's with someone she thinks is interesting, has a morbid sense of humor, as in, she enjoys munching on birds that perch on her and planting weeds next to flowers that Entwives planted, things like that

History: born in Fangorn as one of the later Entings, she thought of having to leave with the Entwives as a punishment since Fangorn was nice and dark and comfy, when they finally nodded off, she headed back and ran into Knockondor, who seems to think that he finally found something noble to do in trying to find some nice trees for her to fit in with

- Myself

Last edited by YayGollum : 10-08-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:44 PM   #47
orithil
Captain Jack

Name:Hedrim Valdaes
Race/gender:human, male
Appearance:Very respectable with slicked black hair a atheltic physique and clean shaven rather tall about 6ft 2" and broad shoulders, black armour with a gold trim a long silk gold robe and a helmet incrested with jewels and diamonds. He has a jet black armoured horse that is armoured with the finest of metal, he has a long 2 handed claymore with jewels incrested into the hilt and the blade made out of diamond which has been cut by a powerful wizard.
Bio:Hedrim is a powerful lord in the north. He rules over a powerful army and is a great stratigist and loves the aspect of warfare, he has fought in many great battles and leads his soldiers to victory, his diamond sword was cut by a powerful wizard some say gandalf himself, but there are many rumours.

Cortana: So have you got a plan to get out?
Master Chief: I was gonna shoot my way out. Mix things up a little.

Last edited by orithil : 01-17-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #48
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by YayGollum
sidekick of a raven named Shadowflaps

LOL
Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 AM   #49
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

WOW!! Hell yeah, I wanna sign up, although it might be not-too-frequent that I'd be able to submit entries. Can I be Viniglaen again? Or someone along her lines, no pun intended? This sounds like an awesome RPG idea, Earniel, and plus I love the wizards so much, 'specially Gandalf. I would love to be a part of this.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #50
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
A not very rohirric sounding name, it also happens to be Radagast's own old name. So maybe something different? Although it could provide some entertainment. "Aiwendil, nice name," said Radagast, "although it sounds oddly familiar..."
Oops Didn't realize that. Silly me. I'll change that name.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #51
Ingwe
Elven Warrior

Name: Ingwionis (Ingwe the Third) Gonamar
Race: Quendi (Elves)
Order: Half-Vanyarin / Half-Telerin
Appearance: Light brown hair, quite thin but athletic. Wears dark blue and black. His eyes are grey/blue and he is often hooded to conceal himself from others as he's become somewhat anti-social and paranoid throughout the years of sorrow he spent in Middle Earth.
Personality: Depressed at how the current world is, very dark and sometimes eccentric. Very old and bitter from war and can be found sometimes talking to himself. Though he's very wise, he's very distraught. His wife had died later in the Second Age, a victim of Sauron's malice. He has one child: Inithiel. She was allowed to go to the Udying Lands but did not and preferred to help her father until his task was complete.
Birthplace / Time: His birthplace was Tirion in the early First Age (that is the First Age of the Sun, not the First Age in the Years of the Trees).
Information: After Ingwion he was the third in the line to carry a version of the name Ingwë. He is the son of Ingwion and Finaris. He would be the second of the Vanyarin line to come back to the shores of Middle Earth. He arrived at the end of the First Age with the Vanyar and the Valar in the War of Wrath.** He was sent by Varda to assist the Men of the West in securing Arnor, but that mission failed in the 1400's of the Third Age as the Witch-King of Angmar had grown too powerful. Sauron was destroyed at the end of the Third Age. Many Elves thus returned at the beginning of the Fourth Age. He was ordered to stay until the north lands had been secured against the enemies of the east. Though some peace had been made with them, many tribes still aimed to strike Arnor, which was now but a developing "nation" of the world. When peace had indeed been made, or so it was thought, and Annúminas was rebuilt as it had been in the glory days over a thousand and a half years before. He was now allowed to go into the West, but chose not to this time. He had found someone who became his companion: an Elven woman from Lothlorien he called A'mael and they were betrothed within a few weeks. His bitterness at the sorrow of Middle Earth had not completely healed, but he was more free from his mind now that he would not have to return to the west alone.

Interesting Facts: Ingwionis participated in the Battle of the Last Alliance under Captain Gil-Galad and also advised that the One Ring be destroyed at earliest possible convenience. Isildur refused his advice as he did Elrond's. Ingwionis prepared to launch an attack on Osgiliath to take the ring by force to destroy it, but he rethought his plans and instead began to help the wizards in their tasks to delay Sauron's plans. After the destruction of Sauron, he would take part in a quest to aide Radagast the Brown in finding the mates of the Ents, the Entwives. It is believed that they had been forced to relocate to survive, and went into the eastern areas of Middle Earth, perhaps further east than the Sea of Rhun, or northeast past Erebor, toward the remnants of the Iron Mountains.

Skill in Battle: Ingwionis basically uses anything he can to survive. If it's bow and arrow, that'll do. If it's a sword, that'll do. If he has no sword, he'll use a knife. If not that, he'll throw rocks or use a stick to fight, whatever he can use for defense. He wasn't officially trained in combat, so everything he learned he did so through trial and error. He fights much the same as a Hobbit such as Samwise Gamgee would: meat and potatoes kind of fighting: use anything you can to survive. So Ingwionis is a survivor type, much like Aragorn who survived the brutality of the far north.

Leadership Experience: Ingwionis is to the White Council what Legolas is to Aragorn: basically a side-kick type of Elf. However, he has himself led insurrections in Arnor against the Witch-King, efforts that if not done, the Witch-King's dominance may have continued. He brought the newly-found Hobbits to defy the Witch-King and in the last battle against him at Lake Evendim, near Fornost, the Hobbits partook in driving the Witch-King out of the land of Arnor. Ingwionis is one of the chief Elves who were able to conceal the location of the Hobbits and the men of the north from the enemy and outsiders.

Favorite Quote: "I like bikes...they're sorta like cars...except without the sides." - had to add that, saw it on some show on Comedy Central.

**: Updated content as of May 25, 2008.

Last edited by Ingwe : 05-25-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Had to edit the post because it said arrival in 2nd age, but it was actually 1st.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #52
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

ooooh!!!

*starts working on a bio*
Old 10-09-2007, 07:10 PM   #53
Earniel

YayGollum, Truor seems very suitable. But bear in mind that we might end up with Elves in the company. Gandalf would surely have considered that. And if Truor thinks first of himself, is it plausable enough for him to enter an essentially selfishless quest? There have to be reasons why Gandalf would trust Truor enough for the job.

I think I will be able to handle a giant eagle. If he endangers my plans, I'll just shoot him out of the sky. Joking... perhaps...

Blossomshade would indeed be a bit problematic, considering Entwives are all thought to be lost, and we're leaving on a quest for them. I would stick to Truor, Knockonder, Shadowflaps and Anthrax, they sound like a handful already.

Orithil, Hedrim sounds interesting. Someone from the northern lands, not often seen in RPG's here. I'm not too sure about his knights, this will essentially be an adventure game, not a battle game, so I'd prefer it if Hedrim went on the quest alone, and that his knights returned home when he arrived at Rhosgobel.

Ingwë, very interesting and thought-out biography of Ingwionis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
WOW!! Hell yeah, I wanna sign up, although it might be not-too-frequent that I'd be able to submit entries. Can I be Viniglaen again? Or someone along her lines, no pun intended? This sounds like an awesome RPG idea, Earniel, and plus I love the wizards so much, 'specially Gandalf. I would love to be a part of this.
The Nazgul would have perished with the destruction of the One Ring (fours years ago in the 'game-time') and Gandalf would never have journeyed with one. So your original Viniglaen-character from the Kings and Nazgul game is pretty much ruled out. However, you of course are welcome to play a character similar in mood and behaviour. But bear in mind this game will be run differently than the imploded Nazgul game, I intend to stay on top of this one.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #54
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Name: Branwyn Mirri
History:

Branwyn Mirri was born in Gondor, the proud son of a mighty warrior. In his youth, Branwyn often dreamed of following his father into battle, and with his skills he seemed destined for a position of respect in the Steward's army.

Branwyn had an above average intelligence, and his mother helped bring that to full flower through a little training of her own. She taught Branwyn how to sing, play the harp, dance a little, and write with some eloquence, although Branwyn had less interest in music and poetry than he had in keeping his mother happy.

Mere days after his seventeenth birthday, Branwyn was caught under a rearing horse and nearly crushed to death. Although the skill of Gondor's healers saved his life, Branwyn's former strength and dexterity were gone, leaving him incapable of extended fighting and destroying his future as a soldier.

Thus began a new and, to his eyes, less glorious life for Branwyn. He was put under the tutelage of the 'weak and decrepit' scholars. Branwyn was a proud young man, and railed for many years against this new path.

It wasn't till he encountered Gandalf the Grey that Branwyn began to see the power of knowledge. Branwyn met the wizard by chance one day in the library, while he was unwillingly researching some old land boundary disputes.

Twenty-four, Branwyn had been studying the ways of a scholar for some 7 years, but had never fully lost his youthful arrogance or dislike of his job.

Gandalf needed help finding some old texts, and enlisted Branwyn. Though they spoke little, Gandalf inspired Branwyn with his knowledge and keen mind. Bronwyn dedicated himself to learning, and his abilities swiftly grew as his mind was opened to new possibilities and mysteries. This lead to rapid promotions and opened more and more doors and opportunities to Branwyn.

Five years later Gandalf met Branwyn again, and was taken aback by the change. Gandalf still vaguely remembered the sullen young man who had reluctantly assisted him. Taking Branwyn into his confidence, Gandalf gave Branwyn new knowledge and direction, assisting the man's quest in return for many small favors and words whispered in the right ears.

Branwyn's life was never the same again, and he continued to assist Gandalf in many little ways over the following years.

A year ago Branwyn chose to leave the city of Gondor and travel for a time. Since the destruction of the Ring, Branwyn had been busier than ever, but felt somehow dissatisfied. He had read of great wonders for much of his life, but always been too tied to Gondor to ever see them himself. He had, in his own small way, contributed to the fall of Sauron... but he had never seen what he helped save, aside from infrequent diplomatic excursions.

He has been living largely off of his own money, but also supplemented his old savings with his still-practiced harp skills, playing in taverns and inns as well as reciting old stories that he came across in Gondor's libraries, trying to inspire the minds of those around him with history's great heros.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #55
YayGollum
Enting

Location: A place called Fort Myers. In the evil state of Florida, a part of the United States Of America, of North America, Earth, Sol system.
Hm. Well, the Branwyn person sounds cool.

For why Truor would be on such a quest, I figured that he wouldn't have to know Gandalf, could have known of Radagast and happened to be passing by. He'd join up because Knockondor, at least, would be very excited about helping out, and Truor is very loyal to his friends. Not being a large fan of elves wouldn't mess thing up too much. He wouldn't get violent or anything, would probably just grumble a lot.

Towards Knockondor, I usually keep him as comedic relief. He's just a large chicken.

And towards Blossomshade, what I wrote in her history wasn't a decent enough explanation for why she could be around? oh well. Merely attempting to jump at the call for Ents. She would never call herself an Entwife, though. Far too independent. She left with the Entwives when she was just an Enting but must have left them or got lost or something before whatever you have planned for the Entwives happened, if ever she met some male Ent during her own travels, she would have easily rebuffed any pathetic advances and mayhaps informed him that she didn't know what happened to the others. Now, she is kind of curious as to what happened to her mom or something. Why not? *hides*

- Myself
Old 10-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #56
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

imploding nazguls?

heh, i'm in.

Gaffer - this thread is the funky gibbon thread -ooc ooc!

(out of character)

these threads usually become massive wild west gunslinging joints where tessar gets drunk on whisky and whips out his six shooter because Earniel wouldn't ...

anyway - lucky i rode on into Town - not been down this way in many a moon -

yeeehaw!

Best BB xx
Old 10-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #57
Tessar
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer

these threads usually become massive wild west gunslinging joints where tessar gets drunk on whisky and whips out his six shooter because Earniel wouldn't ...

Please, darling, it's a seven shooter. I like to have one extra.

You know.

Just in case.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:22 PM   #58
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Good to see you again Tessar - so, Gates of Mirkwood due it's annual 'shall we continue' yes vote yet?

well, my character, i think i developed in a few words in game, without all this need for 'bios' ...

but i'm lazy

Best, BB
Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 AM   #59
Earniel

Hey Tessar, nice bio. A bit of a scholar and a bard, a nice addition to our quest.

YayGollum, your explanations sound reasonable enough. If Truor didn't get the letter, I suppose we could go with Truor knowing Radagast and joining that way. Sounds good? As for Blossomshade, I reckon that could work. If you want to play her as well, I have no objections.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:14 PM   #60
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:

The Nazgul would have perished with the destruction of the One Ring (fours years ago in the 'game-time') and Gandalf would never have journeyed with one. So your original Viniglaen-character from the Kings and Nazgul game is pretty much ruled out. However, you of course are welcome to play a character similar in mood and behaviour. But bear in mind this game will be run differently than the imploded Nazgul game, I intend to stay on top of this one.
O.K., well then, I shall pass. I think I am way too busy to be devoting online time to another in-depth RPG anyway. I have real-life writing to do, I am trying to work on a novel and a collection of essays. Good luck Earniel and to you all in your fun-sounding new game! If a Nazgul's gonna be discriminated against, though she shall not wish to hang around and be a pest. Ciao.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Closed Thread