Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:56 PM   #41
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Ah, but switching back and forth confuses the students, and all the materials for the class are kept in the forge. It's much more practical just to have it there. How about we leave it for now and we can discuss it more after I've drawn it out and you've had a chance to see the layout I have in mind?
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

"nolite hippopotamum vexare!"
Old 01-04-2006, 08:11 PM   #42
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Too flammable to have the FORGE in , not the class. And really, the Jewelry-making must involve other things than melting metal. Some designing, drawing, general theory, working with precious stones, setting of jewels, polishing, filigree etc. Is it wise to do all of it in the forge?
Perhaps we can have a compromise: only some practical lessons will be in the forge, while the others in ther Arts building?
Yes, I second this idea. That is, we could have the majority of teaching take place in a practical lab/lecture room, where they'd get the lectures and do all their design drawing and small, delicate hand-tool work, and then like one day a week or something like that, would be set aside as a forge-lab day, wherein the students be required to make the little settings-molds in small jewelry forges. Because if the classes are always going to be in the real-deal weapons forge room, there's no way Viv could or would be expected to handle that; she'd never have elected for such a course. Self-flagellation isn't her bag, if you know what I mean!

Valandil- liked your post; heavily romantic as always! BTW, what's a MASHER, what does that mean?

Lady M and Shah - Those Captain Shah and Mahtaliel posts are THE BOMB!! Such fluid, visible dialogue, it was like watching a clip from a movie, for real. The dialogue was seamless, and told volumes about the characters of both Captain Shah & Mahta. That was a real joy to read.

Gordis - Also great post; you always come up with the cleverest turns of phrase to describe things. I liked how Nimrael couldn't find a trace of warmth in Ilmenzor's voice, and then she gets caught eavesdropping! Which brings me to this - all the twitty birdbrain shallowchicks at Tharbad University are starting to make me irritated. I like how Aiwendis gets frustrated and calls them "worse than orcs." They ARE! They'll eventually irritate Viv, too, incidentally, which could be a fun little action incident here sometime in the future - Viv could snap at some of them, and end up really slapping one of them, HARD, and get herself into a bit of bad-girl trouble. She's yet to really lose her temper, true Viniglaen style, in the RPG except for that tiny display when she slammed the door in that nosy gossipmonger-reporter's face that time.

Earniel - I'm so stoked to see you post again; it's been a while! Great, of course; but my favourite part was when Earniel notices the ship model -"There was one ship she did not recognize and had never seen before. The little card beneath it stated it was the Alcarondas, the ship of Ar-Pharazôn, the heretic-king." THAT is fantastic foreshadowing, slipped in there! Loved it.

and again, Lady M & Shah - that scene between Captain Shah & Mahtaliel talking about stuff over rum & ale at The Ruptured Dingy, I can't get enough of it! The bomb.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #43
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ah, glad you like. I was pulling blanks for a good pub name, so I came up with that, while conversing to my brother in Farsi. He never grew up with us, so he has to learn it. It was hysterical, and the name resulted.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #44
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

I think I've got a design that should work. It has the classroom and the forge in the same building, but seperated by a wall.

Here's a link to the image:

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...liel/Forge.jpg

I'm glad you like the Shah/Mahtaliel scenes, Lotesse. We've been having fun writing them.
"Because it is my name! Because I cannot have another in my life! Because I lie and sign myself to lies! Because I am not worth the dust on the feet them that hang! How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; Leave me my name!"

- The Crucible

Old 01-04-2006, 09:35 PM   #45
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Huzzah! Tis a nice forge area indeed! Actually, wait a tick, how would Ray and Marty have missed Mahtaliel and Rian walking past them to the forge? They were in the covered walk way eating and lazing around?

*minor nitpick*

Ah hell, I'll change their positioning since you already drew it up.

I like these Shah/Mahtaliel mildly flirty scenes. Ah, nothing like two old friends getting together with booze.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #46
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

No need to change it. There's a door connecting the extra classroom to the kitchen and the forge that got lost while inking. Mahtaliel and Rian entered that way.

- The Crucible

Old 01-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #47
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Ah the wonderful thing that is back doors. Meh! Dammit, now I'm hungry after reading our posts....gonna go make top ramen or something.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #48
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
I am not happy with that solution. I still don't believe that any nazgul could brave the forge for hours.
:
:
Suggestion: The ML brings someone with him, sends them into the Forge to summon Mahtaliel, then sends them off before addresssing her.

You've got the boldness of him coming into her 'territory' - but he avoids the fiery forge!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:27 PM   #49
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

No, we agreed on that part. The ML comes and just keeps in the doorway.

The bit you're quoting was refering to the jewelry making class and the nazgulettes. But I think we've almost agreed on a solution to that. Thanks for trying to help though.

- The Crucible

Old 01-05-2006, 04:03 AM   #50
Serenoli
Head of the Department for the Invention and Propagation of Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

Shah, and LMM, I really loved your conversations... very interesting, very well-written. A real pleasure to read!!

And I welcome back Crazy Squirrel, sun-star, Earniel... it was getting lonely here! And I hope Udu comes back soon, too. And Earniel, your last post was nice and soothing, after all the exciting quarrels! It reminded me of the early posts in that swampy place of hers (what was it called again?).

Gordis, Thanx, Jas is glad his beautiful girls dream is back!! And good post there, showing Aiwendis getting back... those friends of hers are really mean!

Join the Harry Potter discussion, click here
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 AM   #51
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

LMM, Re: your plan of the forge.

If you look at these sites you will see some rather unsavory details of embalming process. http://www.wyfda.org/basics_3.html
http://www.levity.com/alchemy/islam25.html

Whichever method you follow -the ancient Egyptian one, or the modern formaldehyde one - the preservation of corpses is a lengthy smelly process. No step of it involves heating or boiling -so why do it in the forge?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
There's a door connecting the extra classroom to the kitchen and the forge that got lost while inking. Mahtaliel and Rian entered that way.
Moreover, do you want to do all this right next to the kitchen? It is up to you, but the very thought of it turns one's guts inside out.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:39 AM   #52
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

It isn't in the forge, it's next door. The two parts of the buildings are seperated by a very thick wall. I didn't draw in the details for the enbalming classroom but it is made to handle that sort of thing.

I am aware of what a lengthy, smelly process it is and I did think about that when drawing the design. Trust me. It works.

But thank you for the links. The more details I have the better. Aiwendis is going to find flirting in that class rather difficult.

- The Crucible

Last edited by Lady Marion Magdalena : 01-05-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #53
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marion Magdalena
But thank you for the links. The more details I have the better. Aiwendis is going to find flirting in that class rather difficult.
Don't worry for Aiwendis. She is not afraid of corpses. And she can stop breathing if the stench is too strong. It is for poor Val that you will have to worry.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #54
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
LMM and Rian. I've edited my post #705. Just let me know if there is anything else you want editing.
Looks great, TD - let us know if there's anything we missed that needs editing.

book update for anyone concerned - the book that Khamul temporarily snatched (Rian has it back now) is NOT the book from her parents - it's another old book with moon writing.

Good posts, all! Nice details, good conversations and thoughts.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #55
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Your posts are fine Rian.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Old 01-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #56
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Hurrah, the book debacle is sorted! Now...For Shah and Mahta's dinner...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:09 PM   #57
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
book update for anyone concerned - the book that Khamul temporarily snatched (Rian has it back now) is NOT the book from her parents - it's another old book with moon writing.
Thanks, TD, for your gentelmenly decision to let the book go.
But now, Rian, what is the point of introducing another book? It only confuses the matter, as you have got it back.

Last edited by Gordis : 01-05-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #58
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
But now, Rian, what is the point of introducing another book? It only confuses the matter, as you have got it back.
You'll have to wait and see what the point is ...

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #59
Lady Marion Magdalena
Elf Lord

Blast! Sane left without giving us dinner again...

- The Crucible

Old 01-05-2006, 06:34 PM   #60
Rían

*tummy rumbles*

Better go to the Teacup Cafe!

re book - actually, the original point of the book scene (which I won't disclose now) WAS accomplished, as well as several side points. And there's an interesting future possible point that we came up with that might happen.

Closed Thread