Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #81
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Nice to see you back, TD!

I'd like to coordinate Rian's firing/leaving with you - I'll PM you in a bit.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-31-2005, 01:16 PM   #82
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

What great posts!!! Glad you back, TD!

I have very little time today. Hust here for a moment - I had time to read only about Orrodel.
Sorry, have to run.
CS
Old 10-31-2005, 02:18 PM   #83
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Eärniel - I wrote some posts with you in them - let me know if you want me to edit anything. I worked in the things you mentioned to me - the kite, the armor - did you see them?

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-31-2005, 02:30 PM   #84
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Rian - it was also interesting to learn that Tyaron is known as a 'swordsman'! What can you tell us about that?
Just an idea of mine, that Tyaron's personality and body type make him best suited to the sword, and Alagos' personality and body type make him best suited to the bow, although as typical proficient elven men they can both do either. Just that they're better at one. (And since he's MY character, I'm making him one of the best in Gondolin! Known throughout the city, of course )

Speaking of men of Gondolin, I've never quite forgiven JRRT for making Tuor's weapon of choice an axe Just seems so ... dwarven to me - makes me think of the dwarves in "The Hobbit".

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #85
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoli
Rian very pretty love-scenes. How funny the Arastud and Annawen scene was! And I like the singing, but I don't know the poem.
Thanks - I had those ideas in my head for a bit, and finally got around to writing and posting them (the song-"fight" for Rian and co., and the Faramir thing for Arastud and Annawen).

So does anyone besides Lotesse know what the poem/song is yet? Remember, please don't post the name if you know it - just say you know it, and PM me with the name - thanks

Quote:
BTW, I won't be here from the day after tomorrow for about 4days. Reason: Its Eid!!!
I had to look that one up, and found a fun website: here with some cute animations Happy Eid, or whatever the proper greeting is

Old 10-31-2005, 03:02 PM   #86
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Its Eid, as in Noruz? Say what? How'd I manage to miss that? No its not! Eid is in the spring time, its the new year for us! Oops, wait, wrong Eid....Hehehe, happy celebrations Serenoli!

Well, I am gonna post the race soon, you guys are crawling at a snails pace!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #87
Rían

Great post, Sane! I think Rian might have fallen for Ray if she didn't already like Tyaron and Val - he's such a neat guy! I love his horse, too - "yeah, just gotta do my duty and preserve the line!"

Yeah, we need the Nazzies to finish up their fight. I have my guys at dawn already.

Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #88
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Great post, Sane! I think Rian might have fallen for Ray if she didn't already like Tyaron and Val - he's such a neat guy! I love his horse, too - "yeah, just gotta do my duty and preserve the line!"

Yeah, we need the Nazzies to finish up their fight. I have my guys at dawn already.
Yep, I am really really attached to Ray! A male me (sort of)!

Well, aren't all studs like that? Volricom certainly has a fine eye for the females, I have to all but choke him sometimes, its crazy!

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-31-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:34 PM   #89
Rían

Yeah, you gotta know how to handle a stallion - they're strong, and stubborn!

Old 10-31-2005, 03:39 PM   #90
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Yeah, fortunatly they turn out to be quite the gentlemen if trained right. Its rare that I have to use a bit or saddle with Volricom, just when there are mares in heat about....I am currently working on my race post...having trouble typing with this blasted stitches.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #91
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

ahhhh, the curse of the egyptian-tartan beast strikes again ... or ... WAIT! is it the curse of the the finger-slicers: where was Valandil heh? or his dad?

mmm ... first greywolf then shah .... spooky ... then again it IS Halloween ....

TO ALL **

avoid egyptian mummies and tartan hat wearing beasties and the heirs of Isuldir when chopping anything, ok?

Hope both Shah's and greywolf's fingers /hands recover soon ....

spooky, i say ....
Old 10-31-2005, 04:15 PM   #92
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

yeah, it is kinda weird, but then again, my hand was injured for a while, this is just a new occurance. *types away at the race*
Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 PM   #93
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
TO ALL **

avoid egyptian mummies and tartan hat wearing beasties and the heirs of Isuldir when chopping anything, ok?

Hope both Shah's and greywolf's fingers /hands recover soon ....
Thanks. They are a good way on the road to recovery as I posted in TVT.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:26 PM   #94
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

All! The Evil Cartographer has prepared a new MAP- ground level of Orrodel in order to bind you more effectively in the Darkness.
http://photobucket.com/albums/a337/G...t=orrodel6.jpg

I understood, TD, you are also working on the Orrodel plan. I would gladly leave the job to you. But I decided to post mine, as it was already prepared.
All comments and suggestions welcome.

BB Where are you? Will you ever post for Bumble? The poor drunk man was left talking with the Chancellor.

Rian and LSP, please, stop this urging "nazzies finish quickly", and so on. I can't post three posts a day. I simply can't. Period. It applies to the other nazgul, I believe. Our characters don't sleep at night, while yours do. Your problem. Try to see nice dreams. Draw a plan of your house. Whatever. First Lotesse with "finish your fight double-quick", than you. Some have more time for RPG-ing, some have less. It is life.

Very nice posts, everybody.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #95
Rían

Sorry, Gordis, I meant it as good-natured ribbing. Do the best you can with the time you have - sorry you don't have more time, because I really enjoy your posts! Right now, I have much more free time than I did a few weeks ago, so I'm posting a lot.

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:15 PM   #96
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Wonderful new posts! TD - great 2 see you back - great posts, TD & CS, Serenoli, Grey Wolf, Gordis, Rian, and especially Shah - Shah, that was a beautiful posts - and no, not just because Ray's thinking so sweetly of Viv! Such a beautiful post.

The Nazgul fight - the reason why I am asking day after day that we can PLEASE bring this Nazgul fight to either a conclusion or a postponement, is because IT IS EXCLUDING ME. The fight has been drawn out for 2 weeks now, and is supposed to take - what, one hour of RPG time? Let me ask a question - if Viv were to enter the room right now, what would happen to her? I'm just curious. What would happen to her? I sincerely would like to know, and I'm asking all my other Nazgul player-family this question - Gordis, Udu, Crazy Squirrel, TD, and Serenoli. What will you do to or with Viv, should she come into the room right now? Kill her? Maim her? Revile her? Ignore her?

And how long must this fight continue to drag out? And I don't expect 3 posts a day FAR from it; I can barely keep up with the volume of posts Rian gives us. It is a very colourful and entertaining fight, but when is enough enough?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-31-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM   #97
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Serenoli,, I am glad that you liked my post. So let Tolvadok and Aiwendis dislike each other.

Val, You were right, in LoTR proper Radagast says : "They have taken the guise of riders in black." My fault. But I am sure, that the original sentence, published in "Return of the Shadow" contained "as of old". I remember it quite clearly, though I have no access to any of the books now.
Anyway, nowhere in LOTR it is explicitly said, or implied that riding horses was new for the nazgul. And my point about the Battle of Fornost still stands.
Quote:
They have taken the guise of riders in black.The part bolded is what makes me think there's something new here. Was it the 'black' part?
Neither. The nazgul sat quietly at Minas Morgul for a very long time -1000 years. When were they last seen? When they took Minas Ithil in TA 2002.
What guise had they at this time? Probably not great black cloaks, concealing their shapes. Perhaps they wore armour, not needing any disguise. When were all the nine riding abroad all together as a little special force military unit? Perhaps never, or back in the Second Age...

Quote:
I did manage to read most of it. I don't think it's proof conclusive that their late Third Age horses were mearas - but I certainly don't think a Nazgul could walk up to any old meara and make them its mount.
. There is proof that the nazgul horses were able to ride as fast as Shadowfax, or just a little slower. They were outstanding horses. Possibly Mearas.

As for the last question, a nazgul without his ring was always at least troubling for mortals and animals. However, Gandalf said (I am again quoting from memory), that if Saruman managed to kill the nazgul's Fell Beast, then "let Rohan watch its horses". It means, that a nazgul, even in a weakened, ringless state, was able to approach a free horse and ride it. Of course, there is a difference between a random mount, that they might use for travelling, and a trained war-horse. For instance, the war-horse that the Witch King rode at Osgiliath (see Boromir's account) was able to withstand the full force of his terror spell, when both Gondorean soldiers and their horses ran blindly away, abandoning the Bridges.

Quote:
I'll stick with upper Anduin. The ancestors of the Rohirrim were probably in Rhovanion - or just hadn't arrived there yet. But their first recorded encounter with a meara was the one Eorl captured and trained, after it had killed his father. That was upper Anduin.
Again you may be right, though the upper Anduin doesn't look to me as a land suitable for horses. But please, think of another implication: if you are right, than Mearas lived on the teritorry of Angmar Kingdom. Why couldn't then the Witch-King get himself one?

Quote:
2. What you Nine eventually do to my ancestral home of Minas Ithil!
What is wrong with Minas Morgul ? Pale flowers. Luminous walls. A wonderfully designed tower with rotating upper level. What a view from there! An eerie, beautiful place, not some orc-den. Your "ancestral home" was much improved by skilful designers!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:29 PM   #98
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

remiss .... part one

ahhh! fret not good lotesse, Butterbeer is here ... ( )

... actually you'll now be fine to join the party ... cus our Lord and Captian ... (and the treacherous - eh udu????? ... Aiwendis are now here ... ) ...wotcha GOR

.... now this is gonna ramble in a more spindly currambling way than a bramble .... i, too Lotesse have just caught up on a marathon catch-up read ..... in the words of the immortal and totally wonderful Earniel ( )

HOOOOOBOY!

ever recover from that
...so much to say, so good a read .... blah-de-bing, blah-de-boom ...

quick point ere i forget all else ... nope forgotten it ...

oh yeah ... TD .... boy! you are in for a barrel of criticism ... after the level of writing you have set yourself .... jeez, i actually half-heartedly made scribbled (unreadable) notes ... can'yt actually read em' mind ...

oh yeah .... SERIOUS criticism here ( ) ... don't think khamul; would refer to the 'chancellor' among the naz so ... he's only been here for a few days at most ....

WHHHHOOOOSH! ... will TD evere recover from the seriousness of that point? .... we but wait and see ...

...just guessing now but i may have to make this over a number of posts lest i hit the brick wall of the dreaded

TOO MANY SMILIES LAW

HANG ON ... going to preview mode ...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM   #99
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
As for the last question, a nazgul without his ring was always at least troubling for mortals and animals. However, Gandalf said (I am again quoting from memory), that if Saruman managed to kill the nazgul's Fell Beast, then "let Rohan watch its horses". It means, that a nazgul, even in a weakened, ringless state, was able to approach a free horse and ride it.
I don't think that's necessarily so. I always understood that to mean that the Nazgul would send some servants to trap and drive the horses to their abode, then slowly train them to tolerate their presence once the horses were in a small, enclosed area, unable to break free. It's hard to catch and ride a horse in the open that doesn't want to be caught and ridden, although you can herd them if you know what you're doing.

Last edited by Rían : 10-31-2005 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:38 PM   #100
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
The Nazgul fight - the reason why I am asking day after day that we can PLEASE bring this Nazgul fight to either a conclusion or a postponement, is because IT IS EXCLUDING ME.
It was your own choice to be excluded from it! You could come any time and say what you felt was right for Viv. As to the other's reaction - you could wait and see. No, of course she will not be killed or maimed. She is your main character. But she may have been hurt, or her feelings could be hurt. The latter almost certain. That is the thrill of the game. Just don't associate yourself too much with Viv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
"Let me ask a question - if Viv were to enter the room right now, what would happen to her? I'm just curious. What would happen to her? I sincerely would like to know, and I'm asking all my other Nazgul player-family this question - Gordis, Udu, Crazy Squirrel, TD, and Serenoli. What will you do to or with Viv, should she come into the room right now? Kill her? Maim her? Revile her? Ignore her?"
Come and see. If Viv comes after the Morgul Lord, then I think she would be safe from physical violence. I believe we are almost at drinking and talking.
Closed Thread