Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #61
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Very nice, TD. So you were at home all the time??

Now you have plenty of time to discuss Khamul's possible revelation. The reception will hardly start till tomorrow evening (I mean Real Life). We have to wait for Val to post. But meanwhile, TD, you can go and quarrel with Udu in the Entrance Hall before the reception. Rian and Earniel will be late, so "your main victim" is not there yet. And I agree it's better wait for Rian to say OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
The only one that doesn't hate Khamûl is the Morgul Lord
Well it is only YET!
Just look at them three thousand years later...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #62
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

That's a good point - TD, I was making my post above yours with Khamul NOT being home at all - perhaps you could alter it a little, wherein Khamul comes BACK home to pick up something he forgot, perhaps, then pops in on Lil & Pen while he's there for that scene you wrote, then leaves again? Just an idea, because the scene I wrote before you makes no sense if Khamul was home the whole time.

Gordis - can you help me with the Ring question I had a minute ago, two disc. posts back?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-05-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM   #63
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
I don't think servants are welcomed in these circles. But I can't think of nobody present at the reception who knows she is a servant. Except Marty (who will never mention it aloud) and Khamul.
Here, I think, TD has a perfect opportunity for MORE NASTINESS!
Say Khamul denounces Rian, and she has to up and quit there when that fact is mentioned?

Do you like my idea, TD and Rian?
I do - rpg-Rian's ready for a little confrontation! *rolls up her virtual sleeves*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM   #64
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Shah - you mentioned where Ray and Marty are staying... I thought they were room-mates of Valandil. That was my concept anyway, but maybe I didn't communicate it clearly enough. You can do it whichever way you like though.

OOPS! I had no clue! Um, I was kinda gonna play Ray at least, to be some what of a loner, I don't know why its just Ray I want to play like that....But Marty'll be somwhere near you, seeing as he is a royal and dorms (unless around other nobles) wont be that great of an idea. I didnt know he was a prince of Lhun!
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 10-05-2005 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #65
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Yeah, I think that was right Gor. The only one that doesn't hate Khamûl is the Morgul Lord, whom he is in league with.
Shouldn't Ray be at the reception with Val. I haven't read the RPG yet so I apologise if he already is.

Just caught your post...No, well, he is SUPPOSED TO, but in my post after the rochdol game, Ray wasn't feeling so hot. He got bashed up and therefore excused himself from the reception. Certainly wont look the part of a young royal with those cuts and bruises.

Instead, he decided to go with his original plan of hanging out and mischeif making with Viv.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:12 PM   #66
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Of course you can bring Rian. You are a VIP at the reception, so you may bring some entourage. Only PLEASE don't mention that she is a hired servant. That would be scandalous. Anyway, both Gor and the Chancellor are too preoccupied to worry about an additional mouth to feed.
Thank you! Certainly won't mention the hiring-situation, after all it's not a topic that is bound to come up on such a high-profile reception and after all RÃ*an is a well-respected and noble Elven lady.

Eärniel might even take exception if her dear friend is looked down upon on the reception because she has taken on a job. Even though she'd remain polite about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
If I needed to find out what happened with king Valandil, I would read the posts YOU had written. Do you dislike my writing, or something? I have a feeling you must, since not once have you ever had ANYthing to say about it, either for good or ill. Why do you ignore me, Valandil?
Tss, Lotesse, manners! You're talking to the most powerful man of Arnor. He isn't ignoring anyone. But the poor man has to combine work, a family life, moderating AND playing in a high-maintenance RPG. It's perfectly logical that he skims through some posts to keep up. What's wrong with asking for a little clarification? Surely he'll read up more closely when he has the time.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:54 PM   #67
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Hi, Lotesse,
Don't worry,
No one can dislike your posts. . I can understand Val has difficulty to keep up with the story, at the rate we have taken. Both BB and TD complained about the same thing. GW even had to quit. I can say that I do keep up, but it means neglecting my work and family life. I can't do that for long.

Now your question

Quote:
One thing, though, a Nazgul can be made entirely formless and spiritless, can't they? WITHOUT the destruction of the One Ring? I need some clarification on this, from Gordis, too - Gordis, are you around today? Can Nazgul be "killed" so to speak, or lost almost irretrieveably, while the One Ring still exists? I thought yes. Hmmm.
That is a very difficult question actually, and canon does not give us a YES or NO. It is all subject to interpretation. Let's take the WK and Eowyn. Tolkien referred to him in the letters "And the WK was rendered powerless.." or somethig like that. NOT DEAD. It means, IMHO, that the Nazgul could not die with their spirits going to Mandos and beyond, as long as the 9 rings had power. But the nazgul could become bodiless spirits. Could they be "re-fleshed" again? Even more difficult question. Even the spirit of Sauron had difficulties to take a shape without the Ring. And he was a maia.
So, perhaps, the worst one can do to a nazgul while the Rings existed, is to turn him into a powerless, bodiless spirit, wandering in ME for all eternity.
Actually, you better ask Udu. His Dark Knowledge surpasses mine by far.

Last edited by Gordis : 10-07-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM   #68
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

O.K., my bad. *meekly hangs head a tiny bit* I just wish Valandil could come around more often, I wish he wasn't so busy. I love his posts, and he's such an important player.

Thanks 4 the Ring answer, Gordis. There is still much for me to learn about the histories and intricacies of Tolkien's middle earth, and everything. I still have to finish reading the Silamrillion, and one of these days I intend to get ahold of a copy of Unfinished Tales.

Last edited by Lotesse : 10-05-2005 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:18 PM   #69
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, be sure to get UT! A great read!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #70
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Rian -I know, I just can't WAIT to get that book; maybe I will sometime this weekend. You know, Rian, you can post dialogue with Viv too. I'd be so interested to see how rpg-Rian & Viv interact; it would be fascinating. I WAS gonna have Viv go to rpg-Rian for help in helping heal up Ray, when Ray came over all banged up, but I ended up concentrating on taking care of Lilly instead. I think those two might get along, although rpg-Rian might be wondering how come she'd get mysterious goose-bumps hanging aroung the closet Nazgul!

Shah - did you see, I took us on the walk, and everyone's thinking as we walk, but not saying anything. PLEASE feel free to start a conversation with Viv, Ray & Lomi ANY time. I am supposed to be packing, but anyway... I still have no clue what mischief for us to do today. Gordis - can you perhaps help us? You always have such perfect ideas, and we are SO stuck right now.

Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #71
Rían

That would be fun and interesting, Lotesse! I'm thinking the showdown-at-the-reception idea is going to work out well, and that might free up rpg-Rian a bit to interact with the others.

Is it too late for her to audit Commerce? (can't wait for that class to start!)

EDIT - I think you need a break from packing - go get UT at the closest bookstore! *tempt, tempt.... *

OTOH, that means you have to .... PACK IT!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:47 PM   #72
Rían

I love your post titles, Lotesse, so I"m starting to use them!

OK, I worked in one of my favorite poems from Robert Burns in my most recent post - thank you, Mr. Burns, for that lovely piece!

Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 PM   #73
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Very nice post, Lotesse, I like that mind reading. And the owl is adorable.
But I have no idea what mischief you may do. I am not good at mischiefs at all. It is up to you and Shah.
Gor
Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #74
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Oooooo, who gave Rian the sweet little note? I love romantic mystery!

Old 10-05-2005, 07:00 PM   #75
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Must be Khamul
Old 10-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #76
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Udu.. One 'hole' I see in your 'Dol Amroth' background story... somewhere (is it in UT or HoME), it says that Dol Amroth wouldn't be founded for another couple thousand years (I'm a continuity buff! ). Maybe 'Linhir' where the Gilrain and Serni converge and go into the Bay of Belfalas would be a nice substitute? It's just a bit west of Pelargir.
I am also a continuity buff, Val, and, as far as I know, the question of Dol Amroth is not that easy. Here is an obscure note from UT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT, Cirion and Eorl, Note 39
The Lord of Dol Amroth had this title. It was given to his ancestors by Elendil, with whom they had kinship. They were a family of the Faithful who had sailed from Númenor before the Downfall and had settled in the land of Belfalas, between the mouths of Ringló and Gilrain, with a stronghold upon the high promontory of Dol Amroth (named after the last King of Lórien). [Author's note.] – Elsewhere it is said (p.260) that according to the tradition of their house the first Lord of Dol Amroth was Galador (c. Third Age 2004-2129), the son of Imrazór the Númenórean, who dwell Belfalas, and the Elven-lady Mithrellas, one of the companions of Nimrodel. The note just cited seems to suggest that this family of the Faithful settled in Belfalas with a stronghold on Dol Amroth before the Downfall of Númenor; and if that is so, the two statements can only be reconciled on the supposition that the line of the Princes, and indeed the place of their dwelling, went back more than two thousand years before Galador's day, and that Galador was called the first Lord of Dol Amroth because it was not until his time (after the drowning of Amroth in the year 1981) that Dol Amroth was so named. A further difficulty is the presence of Adrahil of Dol Amroth (clearly an ancestor of Adrahil the father Imrahil, Lord of Dol Amroth at the time of the War of the Ring) as a commander of the forces of Gondor in the battle against the Wainriders in the year 1944 (pp.306-7); but it may be supposed that this earlier Adrahil was not called "of Dol Amroth" at that time.
I think, Udu, your story has another problem. The Last Alliance War was 50 years ago, and you "look middle aged". So you may be asked where exactly were you during the War? You couldn't have stayed in Belfalas through it! You also risk to meet "old war comrades from Isildur's army" at the reception.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:56 PM   #77
Rían

Quote:
From UT, Cirion and Eorl, Note 39
Elsewhere it is said (p.260) that according to the tradition of their house the first Lord of Dol Amroth was Galador (c. Third Age 2004-2129), the son of Imrazór the Númenórean, who dwell Belfalas, and the Elven-lady Mithrellas, one of the companions of Nimrodel
This is why I didn't have a problem introducing another elf-human marriage. If it was only the high-profile elves (Luthien, Idril, Arwen), it would have bothered me to introduce another marriage.

Quote:
Isn't that a lovely poem? Actually, since Mr. Burns is dead and can't object, I think I'll change the last line to something more Middle-Earthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordis
Must be Khamul
* snerk! *

Last edited by Rían : 10-05-2005 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #78
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

O.o He must have a secret thing for elf-maids....though, by now, and by the sound of it...Rian is no longer a maiden... *runs and hides*
Old 10-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #79
Rían

Yes, she IS!
*bops shah on the head*
(maidens aren't dead, you know! they're just maidens )

rpg-RÃ*an subscribes to the elven thoughts about sexuality as explained by JRRT in Laws and Customs Among the Eldar, in HoME 10

*hides her elven pasties*

Last edited by Rían : 10-05-2005 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 09:29 PM   #80
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

heh ... i, too sadly have absolutely no time to moot just now... its 215am just finished a massive workload (though it ain't finished) ...blah blah ...

anyway good if we can get a chance to post the commerce professor (PROF BUMBLEDORE ) maybe tommorow ....

i cannot keep up either just now lotesse, so i am sure valandil has not overlooked you (he's never complimented me nor others either! it's not compulsory )

i still ain't read all the print-outs i did last night .... gonna print the new updates and try and stay awake long enough to read em' tonight... (heh no offence! just completely zombied and it'll be worse tommorow) with a glass of wine ... am SO wired now i maybe need to chill for a bit ... but also get sleep...

well, i'll try and get the doddery old fool to this recpetion gig ... maybe to bump into rian... someone will have to help him out... normally no one ever goes to his classes .... little is he expecting a girl at class ... let alone a teaming horde of highly distractable Val fan-girls...

Rian... how about head of commerce logisitcs ... i.e. anything the prof don't want to do so he can have a snooze? Like marking, running the department...etc. Theres a few well appointed rooms down the hall from udu and bumbledore ... must get a chance to say hello to Udu one day soon...

right anyway i'm off to go attempt to read the epic scale rpg again ...
night all!
Closed Thread