Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 08:57 AM   #81
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Nice one Elfmaster Erm... but isn't 12am to 6am an insanely long watch? I think watches are 4 hours long, with the 12am - 4am split into two dog watches (12-2 and 2-4)...

It is an insanely long watch, really...but then most of us are elves. I am actually still trying to work in a better system, but it's taking longer than expected because groups are too small or too big, or someone doesn't fit in and gets longer than everyone else...I'm trying to make shorter shifts though. Give me some time.

The main problem iis actually that 4 hour shifts will require much changing around that probably isn't practical in a game. And also, me being controlling...I like to be around for most of the time.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK

Last edited by Elfmaster XK : 01-04-2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:24 AM   #82
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

We could have 4 hour shifts, except the dog watches. Sure, Elves don't need to sleep, but we do need to lie down, rest a bit, let our minds wander among the trees and stars...

I'll help you make watches if you want. AFAIK the First and Second Mates are the watch leaders. We could incorporate putting people into watches into the RPG, I think they can be chosen, like picking people for soccer teams. (Alternating picks) Or they could be set in advance.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 AM   #83
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
We could have 4 hour shifts, except the dog watches. Sure, Elves don't need to sleep, but we do need to lie down, rest a bit, let our minds wander among the trees and stars...

I'll help you make watches if you want. AFAIK the First and Second Mates are the watch leaders. We could incorporate putting people into watches into the RPG, I think they can be chosen, like picking people for soccer teams. (Alternating picks) Or they could be set in advance.
I think you're right; when we all get aboard then you will need to be chosen or placed into your watches. I think that I want that set for when the time comes, but we could have the watch leaders 'choose' people in game simply so it is included.

I'm going to keep on with this table I'm making, then I'll email it to you, and you can edit it if you think I've gone wrong. After all, fresh eyes see mistakes more easily.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 10:39 AM   #84
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

I am a complete noob on RPGs, but thinks it looks pretty cool. since there is no FAQ for this section of the moot, unleas I'm blind and don't have seen it, but could someone please tell me the basic. and which of the games running on the moot which still is open for joining?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #85
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pytt
I am a complete noob on RPGs, but thinks it looks pretty cool. since there is no FAQ for this section of the moot, unleas I'm blind and don't have seen it, but could someone please tell me the basic. and which of the games running on the moot which still is open for joining?
I would suggest you read This thread if you are unsure of how to play RPG's, or need anymore info on them within this forum.

This thread is just a discussion thread for one of the many games currently active at Entmoot. Generally when people are looking for players it will say so in the discussion threads. Or, for ones which have many players already it's best just to ask in the discussion. People don't like it if you interupt the game though.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #86
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

That explained a lot. Thanks XK
I think I have a better idea of the whole thing, though it looks pretty confusing still
but I think I will give it a try.. any particular games you recommend for beginners?
Old 01-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #87
Elfmaster XK

Sorry Pytt, can't help you there because I don't play any games but this one. I'd suggest you give some of the threads and discussions a bit of a read. Obviously, you don't have to go crazy and read it all. But just get an idea of the game to see if you'd like to play.

Nurvingiel: I tried emailing you and it said your email address was dead, so I'm just going to post the new charts here. Opinions and help is appreciated.

http://www.boomspeed.com/nomade/AvailableCrew.doc
http://www.boomspeed.com/nomade/Book2.xls

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 04:19 PM   #88
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
OH MY GODS!

I was such a fan of the first thread! I can't believe I missed this one starting up!

If I catch up on the story quick and suggest a good way to get onboard, may I join?

(I would have called that last smilee :SHEEP: )

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Old 01-04-2005, 04:33 PM   #89
Elfmaster XK

You will have to play a new character, Katt. Also, you'll have to be a deckhand.

*twitches* I'll have to change the rota...

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #90
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Oh boy, I can be a deckhand with KATT.

Wait, that means I have a good chance of getting blamed for things I didn't do. Or being thrown off the ship. Or something.

But it's KATT. *hi*
Old 01-04-2005, 04:56 PM   #91
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard matey! Avast Katt... arrr...

Hey Pytt... for a new RPG I recommend... this one!

Oooh, three watches, cool! Do we have enough people to do that? I guess we wouldn't need a dog watch then... its purpose is to make sure that the same people don't have to do a watch at the same times every day.

Watches in the Royal Navy are named as follows:
First Watch - 8pm to midnight - 2000 to 0000
Middle Watch - Midnight to 4am - 0000 to 0400
Morning Watch- 4am to 8am - 0400 to 0800
Forenoon Watch - 8am to noon - 0800 to 1200
Afternoon Watch - Noon to 4pm - 1200 to 1600
First Dog Watch - 4pm to 6pm - 1600 to 1800
Last Dog Watch - 6pm to 8pm - 1800 to 2000

I know we're pirates, but we could structure them the same. I think Pansy should be exempt from all watches. We can all sleep when it's not our watch, but she doesn't have that luxury, so it wouldn't really be fair to make her cook lunch, then stand a four hour watch, then dinner... I think we'd have a mutiny led by the cook after about 2 days.

Plus, in times of trouble (dangerous weather, battles) or times when we need everyone (setting the main sail), wouldn't we all be on deck anyway?

EDIT: I updated my email too.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #92
Elfmaster XK

You are just trying to make more work for me.

My logic in that rota was this:

1/ I want everyone doing a regular shift. And, I want those with the most skill doing the times when we're most likely to need the skill. That's why I gave you 12pm-4am, as you're my trimmer cheif . (Even though you haven't learnt yet, you said you get one job and focus on it...) We're actually quite prone to getting attacked at night around here.

2/ Okay, perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on Tiny the cook. But she has to do at least fur hours then, split into two 2 hour shifts so she can get some experience.

3/ I used those times, except the Dog watches. If people get annoyed at having a same time every week shift then I can always switch you around. Ie. Nurv, you would switch with CC. Obviously, Flannery cannot switch.

CC: Since in the thread you've said you have sailing experience I put you in as another trimmer, with Nurvy. Not a deckhand.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 05:13 PM   #93
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That all sounds fair, I have no trouble with my shift. And in the RPG I'm sure it won't be too much of a detail. It will be a factor, but no worries.

I still don't think Pansy should have to stand any watches though, unless she comes on deck to clobber someone with a frying pan, Tika style (Dragonlance ). Let's not forget she's cooking 3 meals a day for a ship full of drunken pirates. That's a lot of work! She doesn't need sailing experience, but I'm sure she'll get some since there will probably be times when all hands will be needed... or maybe in her spare time she'd like to participate in hard physical labour...

Hey, CC could teach me my duties, among others, do you want that interaction between our characters Count?

EDIT: Minor nitpick, but I don't think the Captain leads any watches, as she already leads the entire ship. Erm... I'll stop annoying the game master now. And Captain.
Quote:

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-04-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #94
Elfmaster XK

Quote:
Let's not forget she's cooking 3 meals a day for a ship full of drunken pirates. That's a lot of work! She doesn't need sailing experience, but I'm sure she'll get some since there will probably be times when all hands will be needed... or maybe in her spare time she'd like to participate in hard physical labour...
Oh, alright then. I'll let the cook off of all duties except in the galley.

Quote:
EDIT: Minor nitpick, but I don't think the Captain leads any watches, as she already leads the entire ship. Erm... I'll stop annoying the game master now. And Captain.
Actually, I decided XK should lead one watch (1200-1600) so my officers get a rest. All the other times she will not actually lead the watch, but is still the commanding officer, which was what I was highlighting.

And you're not annoying me. You have attention to the details. You'd know if you annoyed me.

I can fly - my friends.

XK
Old 01-04-2005, 06:48 PM   #95
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Actually... Tiny will be the cook, not Pansy. But considering Pansy's race, she'll probably eat most of the food anyway.

These watches... are they likely to be actually used on the game?

Katt! Nice to see you here too. But eh... don't forget to pay the TLA an occasional visit too, eh?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:27 PM   #96
Bunnie_Queen_1146
90% angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
I didn't mean anything in an offensive way. Just trying to protect you from our 9002 year old perv Anduril. Don't worry.

Ok Just making sure. and don't worry I won't be worrying.

And What am I actually doing? So I'm not doing a watch..? I'm confused help me here plz. And whats the gallery?
/Back when a hoe was a hoe/Coke was a coke/And crack's what you were doing/When you were cracking jokes/Back when a screw was a screw/The wind was all that blew/And when you said I'm down with that Well it meant you had the flu/I miss back when

Last edited by Bunnie_Queen_1146 : 01-04-2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:09 PM   #97
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Nurv - sounds like a good idea for an interaction to me, except... I myself don't know what I'd be teaching
Old 01-04-2005, 08:49 PM   #98
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

BQ, on a ship the kitchen is called the galley.

CC, your character would show me what trimming is all about, useful sailing knots, general sea knowledge like tides, soundings... Interestingly in real life I have been sailing, but my character has never even seen the sea before (though she is skilled in other useful ways).

Quote:
Old 01-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #99
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

if a hole still be open for 'boatswain',
faligorn might be able to be recruited, not quite sure what
a boatswain does, though
Old 01-04-2005, 08:53 PM   #100
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

IIRC this position is abbreviated as Bosun and I think they're responsible for maintenance of the ship - an endless task. I'd have to google it to be sure though.
Quote:
Closed Thread