Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2003, 10:28 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Top 3 Sceneries from the movies...

I was going through my movie channels here today and Starz is running a "Lord of the Rings Weekend" showing both Fellowship and Two Towers. So during it I saw parts of Fellowship again and it came to the part with the Argonath. When I saw them again, it amazed me as always. In thinking about them, it made me think of the best pieces of scenery throughout the entire trilogy.

For me my 3 favorite sceneries are as follows below, with the reasonings listed as well:

1) Argonath - They show the greatness that the Men of Old achieved. I mean when I read the books I was in amazement through the descriptions, but then seeing them come to life in such a massive way really makes it better. Also the fact that you see the detailing of the stone blocks the higher it goes simply amazes me that they paid attention to the detail that much. Now, that is important, because in showing those blocks on the higher portions of the Argonath, it shows that they took physics into it. I say that, because from that point on it is above the mountainside, below the mountainside is where the Argonath could have been chizelled into the rock, but once out of that rock quarry they would have to add onto them where the separate blocks come in, it's just amazing.

2) Minas Tirith - What more can be said about the White City. I also pictured it to be unbelievably gorgeous and to look as if it were done by the hands of God, but in the movie it is taken a step further. The detail they put into it, and the angles they shot through the aerial views were amazing. The fact that they even built a big piece of mountainside into it and protruding through it was great as well. I thought that was one of the best parts of how they built it. Seeing it as one with the mountain really made it's greatness stand true. The levels of the city were great as well.

3) Meduseld - The specialness of this city is that it was all built, and completely built, whereas the previous two listed above were not. I love how they said they built this for 8 months, filmed on it for two weeks and then tore it all down, amazing! The amount of little detail in the Golden Hall was great. Seeing the various horse motifs in random places we would never see unless you paid attention to the actual detail. If you notice, these motifs are in various places, in the pillars, the floors and the ceilings among other places.

In honorable mention, Minas Morgul in Return of the King. I loved the look they had to it, with the light green color on the exterior, especially when the Witch King came out of it and we see the big beam going up the actual tower. The other one I want to mention is the Grey Havens. I say that, because when I read the books I never pictured the Grey Havens to be as beautiful as they portrayed it in the movies. I always pictured them smaller and less assuming, but to see how wondeful they looked, it made me realize that these ports were more than just a docking area, they were the entranceways to all that was beautiful...

Ultimately, the things I liked the best about these places were the sheer detail that went into them. Most importantly though is that it helped bring the world of Middle Earth to life for me, outside of the story that I have loved for so long...

What do you think, what were your favorites?
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 12-20-2003 at 10:51 PM.
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote