Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM   #1
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Giving context to PJ's changes

Ursula K. Le Guin sure has a few choice words to say about the Earthsea mini-series. And a comment on the LOTR films in doing so.

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Earthsea.html

Quote:
I wonder if the people who made the film of The Lord of the Rings had ended it with Frodo putting on the Ring and ruling happily ever after, and then claimed that that was what Tolkien "intended..." would people think they'd been "very, very honest to the books"?

Ursula K. Le Guin
13 November 2004
Old 09-12-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

And:

http://www.locusmag.com/2005/Issues/01LeGuin.html
Old 09-13-2008, 05:19 AM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I'm not sure if this actually puts context to Jackson's changes or just highlights what different animals writers and moviemakers are. I don't think any writer actually likes seeing film-makers making seemingly unnecessary changes to their material. A movie can reach a good number of people, but if the story they get to see doesn't resemble the writer's work, it may not be quite worth it for the writer.

I agree with LeGuin that a moviemaker deciding for you what you intended in the story is rather arrogant. I always disliked this part in book reviews for school, making presumptions on the themes or messages a writer may have intended. Let the writers say that for themselves, because otherwise you'll just end up making up a lot. And you know, sometimes, stories are just meant as stories.

Were my stories ever considered for a movie, I hope I'm dead before that happens... But only after I'm paid.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

You're correct, Earniel. I love Le Guin's writing - so melancholy and uplifting at the same time - so I couldn't resist myself when the opportunity to link her to Tolkien and filmaking arose simultaneously. Also, as you may be aware, I'm from the school who actually appreciates many, though hardly all, of Jackson's plot/dialogue changes. I also thought folks - well, some - might appreciate Le Guin's deep appreciation of and for Philippa Boyen (so many people here see the glass only as half-empty on this point).
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Ah, I see. Yes, good point. If Le Guin indeed wanted Boyen on the team, she must have thought the script adaptation of LoTR sufficiently acceptable. It would have been interesting to see if Boyen's final work also would have gotten Le Guin's approval. Judging on other people's book adaptation is of course always different than your own.

That reminds me that I've got the Earthsea miniseries on DVD, but I haven't gotten around to see whether and how they differ from the books...
Old 09-17-2008, 11:05 AM   #6
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Interesting articles. I wasn't even aware someone was messing with Earthsea...probably just as well.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Writer's are much too sensitive!
Old 10-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #8
Empress_Flynn
Elf Lord

Lol... yeah well... it's part of the job

Most writers tend to see their work as deeply personal and like their children...

I think you'd be sensitive too if what was basically your child was maimed...

"Even a mirror will not show you yourself, if you do not wish to see."

"But remember... clowns make two things around here: balloon animals... and enemies."

"If I loved you then I would love you in any way I could, and if we could not touch, then I would draw strength from your beauty... And if I went blind, I would fill my soul with the sound of your voice and the contents of your thoughts until the last spark of my love for you lit the shabby darkness of my dying mind."

Last edited by Empress_Flynn : 10-02-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Empress_Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote