Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Dan Simmons' "Ilium" and "Olympos"

I just finished these two books and thoroughly enjoyed them.

But what happened to Caliban? Setebos? The post-humans? What the heck were the voynix anyways? Why keep the humans in luxury?

Seems to me the story is unfinished, with another book to continue the story being written by fellow Coloradoan Dan Simmons. I've only recently begun reading his books, but I do enjoy his writing style, evne though a tad technical at times. His physics knowledge is impressive.

It also (almost) spurs me again to pick up the Iliad, but going through all the Greek names gets a bit cumbersome.

Have any of you folks read these books?

I'm headed off to the bookstore to get a copy of Hyperion. Looks interesting. Wish I could find a list that puts all of his books in order and shows which ones are related to the others. Is Endymion a further extension of Hyperion and its sequel?
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote