Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-04-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Read Dune.

Then stop.
That's what I did.

I got grossed out by all that recycled water stuff, though *bleah*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:55 AM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Heathens.

Seriously though, it's a matter of taste. I think the series just gets better & better. Bit of a mindf*** though. But well worth it. My absolute favourites are Chapterhouse & Heretics (4 & 5 in the dune series).

BEST BOOKS EVAR111.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Finished Flyte and Physik; both by Angie Sage and in the Septimus Heap series. Really liked these books, but then I really like children's fantasy. I bought Magyk (the first book) and as soon as I had finished, went and bought the other two. Had to see what was going to happen next.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Just finished Gaiman's Neverwhere again. I'm reading Prince Caspian with my kid right now in anticipation of the movie.
The Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Just finished 'Good Omens' by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachett. Hillarious stuff!

~The Lay of Leithian
Curufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I was a bit disappointed by Good Omens. I like both authors, guess I just expected... more.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #7
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I'd never read anything by either of them before, but I found it amusing enough! I guess I'm fairly easily pleased by fiction, though.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 05:20 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, hope it inspired you to read more by both respective authors.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:22 AM   #9
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Well, a friend bought me 'Guards, Guards' for Christmas, so I think I'm going to take that on my trip to Belgium on Saturday. Hopefully it'll be good!

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
I was a bit disappointed by Good Omens. I like both authors, guess I just expected... more.
I liked Good Omens, but I was a bit disappointed afterwards when I picked up one or two books from Gaiman, I kept expecting them to be more like Pratchett's style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Well, a friend bought me 'Guards, Guards' for Christmas, so I think I'm going to take that on my trip to Belgium on Saturday. Hopefully it'll be good!
Trip to Belgium? Where will you be staying, Brussels I imagine? And Guards, Guards was pretty good, although it isn't one of my favourites.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Actually I'll be staying at the Irish College in Louvain - it's a trip with my University.

We'll be going to Brussels, though, to visit the EU parliament and all.

It's a country I've never been to before, so I'm looking forward to the trip.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel View Post
I liked Good Omens, but I was a bit disappointed afterwards when I picked up one or two books from Gaiman, I kept expecting them to be more like Pratchett's style.
That's a shame - Gaiman has done some great stuff in the realm of urban fantasy, but I guess you have to be in the right head-space to enjoy it.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:40 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

The Nightwatch books are some of the best in the series. Enjoy.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:48 AM   #14
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Well, I read the first twenty pages of 'Guards, Guards' before I went to sleep last night. Enjoyed it! Seems like good stuff. I'm going to the store today to buy another book to take on my trip, and I'd like it to be another Prachett one - any suggestions?

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants View Post
That's a shame - Gaiman has done some great stuff in the realm of urban fantasy, but I guess you have to be in the right head-space to enjoy it.
I know. Most of the time I'm finding his books a bit dark for my taste, but somehow that hasn't quite stopped me yet from buying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufin View Post
Well, I read the first twenty pages of 'Guards, Guards' before I went to sleep last night. Enjoyed it! Seems like good stuff. I'm going to the store today to buy another book to take on my trip, and I'd like it to be another Prachett one - any suggestions?
I find anything by Pratchett pretty good. But Reaper Man and Small Gods are among my favourites.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #16
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

I quite like what I've read of him too. He's not that big in the States, but all my British and Irish friends have pushed me into reading his stuff.

I'll look for 'Reaper Man', as I've got 'Small Gods' on my bookshelf back in the States.

EDIT: Well, I ended up getting 'Fifth Elephant' because it was significantly longer than 'Reaper Man' which, when I'm travelling and sitting on airplanes and busses, is a big thing in its favor. I was rather shocked by how many books he's actually written, though!

~The Lay of Leithian

Last edited by Curufin : 03-28-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

If you want to do a Gaiman as well, I recommend Neverwhere.

Quote:
Neverwhere's protagonist, Richard Mayhew, learns the hard way that no good deed goes unpunished. He ceases to exist in the ordinary world of London Above, and joins a quest through the dark and dangerous London Below, a shadow city of lost and forgotten people, places, and times. His companions are Door, who is trying to find out who hired the assassins who murdered her family and why; the Marquis of Carabas, a trickster who trades services for very big favors; and Hunter, a mysterious lady who guards bodies and hunts only the biggest game. London Below is a wonderfully realized shadow world, and the story plunges through it like an express passing local stations, with plenty of action and a satisfying conclusion. The story is reminiscent of Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but Neil Gaiman's humor is much darker and his images sometimes truly horrific. Puns and allusions to everything from Paradise Lost to The Wonderful Wizard of Oz abound, but you can enjoy the book without getting all of them. Gaiman is definitely not just for graphic-novel fans anymore. --Nona Vero --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
Amazon linky
Old 03-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #18
Curufin
The Ñoldóran

Sounds interesting! Maybe I'll have to give that a shot as well.

~The Lay of Leithian
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
ecthelion
Enting

I'm reading the "retrieval artist" series, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and loving it. I've read 1 book and I'm in the middle of the 2nd.

It is set in a future a few thousands of years from now, when earth is the center of a multi-species alliance, with hundreds of alien members. Humankind is spread over all the solar system and other systems as well.
The main problem is that "social differences" are at such a level that people commit terrible "crimes" on alien soil, sometimes without knowing it, sometimes even causing genocide by accident. In these cases these people disappear (change identity and life to escape prosecution), with the silent approval of the earth authorities.
Sometimes these people need to be found, by their family for example, without making them vulnerable to those who want to prosecute them. In these cases a retrieval artist is hired, and one of these retrieval artists is the main character around which revolves the series.

The plot in the books is essentially a detective story, but set in a very good sci-fi environment.

What does "LOL" mean?

Last edited by ecthelion : 04-03-2008 at 08:41 AM.
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #20
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecthelion View Post
I'm reading the "retrieval artist" series, by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and loving it....Sometimes these people need to be found, by their family for example, without making them vulnerable to those who want to prosecute them. In these cases a retrieval artist is hired, and one of these retrieval artists is the main character around which revolves the series.

The plot in the books is essentially a detective story, but set in a very good sci-fi environment.
This sounds like an interesting series. Are they recent books? (Is my small town library likely to have them? )
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote