Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2001, 06:34 AM   #61
Mathron

Re: Fangorn Discussion

I will be having Mal leave the Fangorn Forest RPG.
Then, I will start a new RPG. It will be centered around his treck across Middle-earth searching for his lost power, etc. I find 'traveling' RPGs are sometimes easy to keep going then ones tied to a location.
Meanwhile, I will keep Harnauro in the Fangorn Forest RPG, which hopefully will continue. Since Unvar and lot will probably be going off, most likely a new plotline shall have to develop there.
So, that is my clear and concise plan. ~grin~
-Mathron
Old 02-09-2001, 03:31 PM   #62
Lief Erikson

All right, sounds good! I kind of doubt that Fangorn Forest will continue, as it'll have lost both almost all of its characters, and its key plotline.

But this new one sounds good. Perhaps a new RPG will be developed, other than Mal's, to take the place of Fangorn Forest.
Old 02-12-2001, 02:35 AM   #63
Lief Erikson

Xivigg probably posts here about once or twice a week, and Morkhon in spurts. You, me and Elbreth were the main people posting, but Elbreth said that she had a large work load dropped on her shoulders, and she hasn't been posting much anywhere for a while. What all of the elves and rangers were doing, I have no idea, although I suppose that they probably stayed behind with the corsair army. If so, they can join everyone else now. But you know, now that the Balrog, M'ertan, and Marondras are all gone, I think that the adventure is just about over. Unvar never will really regain Umbar, partially because he doesn't have nearly large enough of a fleet or army to make such an invasion, and also because in the battle of Minas Tirith, the Corsairs of Umbar were allied with Sauron, and I can't see Unvar maintaining the alliance the corsairs made with the Dark Lord.

I think that this would probably be a good point to wrap the adventure up, and start a new one. The climax has already come and passed, and few more posts should finish it up. After that, we can concentrate our attentions on a new Role Playing Game, and decide whether it will be a sequal, with some of the same characters, or an entirely new adventure, in an entirely new place.
Old 02-12-2001, 04:01 AM   #64
Elbreth of Carhouth

That could work quite well, although Dania has now gone missing and needs to be found first.
I do have a busier course load, although not any harder. Lief and Mathron, if it's ok with you, I'll be leaving the plot/story lines up to you. The two of you have been doing quite a bit of it already, for which I apologize, and I will probably get on more often than I have been. So, I'll still be here, but when the stories are going like that, and I'm not here, then it will be up to the two of you to keep it going, and involve all the characters. Ok?
Old 02-12-2001, 04:28 AM   #65
Mathron

Sounds good... you know... I think I will make this into a splinter RPG, with many of same characters, and develop from there...
-Mathron
Old 02-12-2001, 05:01 AM   #66
Lief Erikson

Sure, as long as we have people in those areas. Its been fun making up the plot, and there's no need to apologize.

I don't think it actually is that hard to keep track of all the new characters, if you're keeping up on the game. We only add them as they are needed, or to help support our plot strands. It isn't merely for the fun of it.

So is this game going to end, and another begin, or are we going to continue, making up new villains?

No matter what the choice is, my characters are pretty much finished. Unvar and Agravigan will probably end up leaving, to build up their strength and find a ripe timing to strike at Umbar. I don't know what Slythre will do. She'll probably be my main good character in the next RPG, if there is one.

Mathron, what exactly do you mean by a splinter RPG?
Old 02-12-2001, 05:06 AM   #67
Mathron

Well, I just sent a post revealing that more of the mystery men absconded with the ranger and the elves. I shall start up a new one which will mainly be Mal searching for them, as well as for more of his lost power... so, it may have more of the same characters (and Slythre is welcome to join in the search as well.) I figure that the elves and ranger will be rescued or escape fairly easily, and then we can all go ahunting the bad guy (sound familiar?)
I think, though, it might go through some more urban settings...
Anyway, that is my tentative plan.
-Mathron
Old 02-12-2001, 05:26 AM   #68
Lief Erikson

Right, sounds good. And you can count me in. I hope that we will be able to collect some new players as well. The more the merrier!
Old 02-12-2001, 11:04 PM   #69
Lief Erikson

Elbreth, I think you wanted information on all the different characters. Here it is.

M'ertan is the brother of Mal, and the one who sent out those skull creatures to destroy them in the forest. He serves the Valar.

Arvec is now slain, but he was the commander of Iron Heart in Nardran and the Balrog's absence.

Nardran is the elf captain of the fortress near Fangorn Forest. After being tortured for an unjust reason by his master, the Balrog, he turned on him and defected to join Unvar. His main purpose in life was revenge, after that, and although he succeeded his goal in killing the Balrog, he was defeated in the attempt.

I think you know who Slythre and Agravigan are, so I won't bother with giving info on them.

Marondras was an Istari who was corrupted by Melkor, and assisted him by leaving the south undefended, allowing the giant spider Ungoliant and Melkor to slip in and darken the Trees of Valinor. His punishment at the hands of the Valar drove him to insanity, and after this he fled to Middle Earth. There, he regained his magic and power, building it up to greater strength than before. He allied with the Balrog and helped that creature by building the Blasting Delve, a magical furnace of the type that were used in building the great powerful items of the past. He fought Syntia on the mountain, and they were both thrown into a flaming chasm. He regained his sanity and Melkor's power lost its grip on him. Then he used his last remaining magic to save her life from the flames. Then, he died.

Harnauro is capable of shifting shape between a human and a wolf. He owns magic of as yet unknown depth, and allied with Mal in the scene on the plain. If you have more questions about him, ask Mathron. He's the source on his own characters.

Gordance replaced Unvar as leader of the Corsairs of Umbar, and affirmed an alliance between the corsairs and Mordor. After this, he allied with the Balrog to help fight Unvar, and sent an assassin to slay the commander. The assassin was slain, and in the final battle, Gordance was slain as well.

Kvdon was one of Gordance's men, and he was the assassin sent out to slay Unvar. But instead of killing Unvar, he himself was slain.

I hope this helps. If there are any other characters you have questions about, you have but to ask.
Old 02-13-2001, 01:41 AM   #70
Mathron

A bit more clarification on my characters:

I may, at some future point, be creating an RPG on Mithlond... I noticed those two wide empty forums for Events Before and After Lord of the Rings, so I might do a Forum dealing with the past, during Melkor's rule, and go into Mal's relationship with him and Sauron, and Harnauro's origin.
But not for a bit of time yet - it is still simply a thought in my mind.
-Mathron
Old 02-13-2001, 03:04 AM   #71
Lief Erikson

Sounds like an interesting thought. I was thinking about starting an RPG during the Silmarillion myself, but that idea dropped out of my head after Esgaroth was started. Would we play it at the same time as the sequal to Fangorn? It would probably be all over the place, but what time period exactly would it start at?
Old 02-13-2001, 03:32 AM   #72
Mathron

Probably near to the point when Melkor is overthrown. Such that that event would be the end of the RPG, but not something that would happen right away, of course. Some point in that general time period, though.
-Mathron
Old 02-13-2001, 05:17 AM   #73
Lief Erikson

Right. Perhaps in Mithlond, you should make a discussion area for it, so that we can give information on our characters and discuss the coming RPG.
Old 02-13-2001, 05:31 AM   #74
Mathron

Good plan, indeed! Shall do so sometime soon.
-Mathron
Old 02-13-2001, 07:17 AM   #75
Morkhon

Sorry for not posting during the assualt. I went to a friend's house and got snowed in there (3 feet over 3 days) without internet access.
Old 02-13-2001, 04:13 PM   #76
Lief Erikson

Question: can the next post be the completion of the RPG? It seems like a good time.

By the way, Unvar and Agravigan are out of the game. I'd prefer it if they didn't run into an adventure on their way, or get held up by someone following them.
Old 02-13-2001, 04:14 PM   #77
Lief Erikson

I wouldn't mind at all if someone other than me finished the game either, I just think that this is a good point to do so.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:03 PM   #78
Mathron

Effectively, as soon as Slythre and Faradin decide whether or not to join Mal on his search, I will end it.
-Mathron
Old 02-13-2001, 09:56 PM   #79
Lief Erikson

Fangorn closing . . .

Is this last post a good ending, or do you have a better idea that will cap it off?
Old 02-13-2001, 11:08 PM   #80
Mathron

Re: Fangorn closing . . .

Looks good to me!
If everyone else is satisfied, I guess that is the wrap up of Fangorn Forest - went great!
I shall start up the new one sometime later today.
-Mathron