Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2001, 12:46 PM   #1
Cydran OwlWing

I am going to have a adventure!

Rule:

I am planning to start a new RPG soon. I was first hopping to get some advice. I am planning to start it at about: 5:00 PM, or 3:00 PM. I would like advice on how it should be like, :smokin: and who wants to play it.
Old 05-30-2001, 02:49 PM   #2
Mathron

Re: I am going to have a adventure!

I'd be interested. You might want to run an RPG set in the past of middle-earth, like during the great war with Morgoth, etc.
It should be good to have a single person running one, though - it seems to many, of late, have too many people going different directions.
Old 05-30-2001, 06:35 PM   #3
Pippin Took434

I will participate! I looooove rpgs.
Old 05-31-2001, 01:22 PM   #4
Cydran OwlWing

I haven't read the silmarillion. I would like to play in this. :lol:
Old 05-31-2001, 04:43 PM   #5
Mathron

Sounds good! Do you have any plans on what you want a adventure to be, or specific character types?
Old 05-31-2001, 10:32 PM   #6
Cydran OwlWing

No, I figure that out when we find out the time and which place they are in.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:54 AM   #7
Lief Erikson

Let's make sure that we have several people interested before we start. Its been my experience that people usually get turned off when they see a game going which is over five pages, even if they are welcome to it. It is nicer to start in the beginning, and I believe that is what most of them would want to do.
Old 06-01-2001, 01:27 AM   #8
Mathron

Yeah, good idea. Here's my thought: We should have both the main thread, with only one real plotline going (otherwise, trouble can ensue), and thus, all the people not running the plot stick to only a handful of characters at most. Meanwhile, have a discussion thread, and a thread specifically for posting characters.
How does that sound?
Old 06-01-2001, 03:15 AM   #9
Lief Erikson

Our both involving a plot in The Great Quest and Fangorn Forest has worked pretty well, but I agree that we'd certainly have to limit ourselves as to who has the joystick. Personally, I've still not got any amazing plot thought up for a new one, so I'll have to think about that.

The discussion and character thread ideas sound sound, though.

What time period do you think we should do? We had quite a bit of confusion over that in the early stages of Fangorn Forest, and I had to take a leap in the dark which solidified when that took place. It was something I didn't like doing much, so we'd best ascertain the time period early.

Since Cydran hasn't read the Silmarillion, I guess it can't be in that time period. Kind of disappointing, as I would have enjoyed using Vardor at an early time. But there are still plenty of other times and places which might also be rather interesting.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:55 PM   #10
Lief Erikson

Silmarillion

I've thought about it quite a bit this morning, and I'm afraid that the Silmarillion still is the most attractive option in my mind. Perhaps if we did the Silmarillion, we could give Cydran OwlWing and whoever else hasn't read it a brief overview of what has recently happened to get everything to where it is. And also give a few basic details, like what a Maia is, etc.
Old 06-01-2001, 12:58 PM   #11
Mathron

The joint plotlines can work - Fangorn Forest certainly went well - but I never really got to get to some other aspects of the plot in the Great Quest. Still, I think it does work best when things are directed fairly solidly.

As for time period, I'm not sure. (Heh, I too had wanted to do an earlier period so as to reveal some of the history behind Harnauro and Mal. ~grin~)

I am still not adverse to something set in the Silmarillion time period, myself.

One possibility - set before the Hobbit, in Mirkwood or nearby, when the Necromancer is in power. I think that things work best when we go with a villain already set into the LotR time period - I think things would have been a lot different in Middle-earth if they really had all of our Balrogs and rogue Istari and Maia wandering around.

Another idea I just thought up is something with Moria.

What does all else think? Who wants to be in on this?
Old 06-01-2001, 01:09 PM   #12
Lief Erikson

Re: I am going to have an adventure!

Yes, those do sound like good second options. We'll have to see what our other players think.
Old 06-02-2001, 03:55 AM   #13
The Black Lieutenant

Count me in! I am planning to re-read the Silmarillion this summer, and then The Hobbit, and then LoTR. So naturally I would prefer if we adventure in the time of the Silmarillion, but just prior to The Hobbit would be fine, too. There's more room to get creative then, actually.
Old 06-02-2001, 02:24 PM   #14
Lief Erikson

Yes, I think we're all agreed that the times Mathron suggested would all be excellent. Now we just have to decide which one to choose.

If we do Moria, none of our beings I think should have exessive magical power, as otherwise the Balrog would have a little too much difficulty for it to be logical.

The Necromancer idea would leave anything open. Any characters, magical or not would be plausible.

The Silmarillion me and Mathron primarily want to do because we have characters who appear in The Great Quest and whom we want to develop in it. But other than that, the other two options will all be excellent.

I don't have any brilliant plot thought up yet, but if I did, the Necromancer idea would hold a great deal of strength for me. Say . . . the book never said how the Necromancer was overthrown from his hold in Mirkwood, did it? Jeepers . . . that leaves some open space.
Old 06-02-2001, 04:26 PM   #15
Mathron

Well, the White Council drives him out, but that is about all the detail given.
Old 06-02-2001, 08:00 PM   #16
Lief Erikson

Re: I am going to have an adventure!

:smokin:
Old 06-03-2001, 01:19 AM   #17
Darth Tater

I was too busy when all the other stuff started here to jump on but now I''m not and since it seems there's a new rpg coming I guess I won't have to jump in the middle. If ya want this to work best just give people freedom, don't get too stuck to a specific plotline, just place it in JRRT's world. And basically keep the rules simple, just don't let people overdo the magic thing
Old 06-03-2001, 03:11 AM   #18
Lief Erikson

That may be how it was when you did the Hobbiton RPG, but the last two RPGs, the scale of magic was very high and the endings quite spectacular and still coordinated. I think that problems can be caused though by the lack of a general plotline. I read the Hobbiton RPG, even though I didn't join in, and I think the reason it never got finished is at least partly because there were so many plots going in different directions. That's the same reason the Wizards RPG that is going on isn't really getting anywhere, no one has thought up a real storyline for anyone to go by. In Hobbiton, it was very difficult to pull everything together into a good climax, and it didn't have a real storyline like Fangorn Forest and The Great Quest did.

But in the way we do it, the players still have almost limitless freedom, the key exceptions being that they cannot change what happens in the books, and they should not kill off each others' characters casually. Especially if someone has been actively involved in playing that character.

I can see what you mean though, about the magic. I think the reason that even with all the magic, Fangorn Forest and The Great Quest worked out is because both of our characters had some of it. If one plotline had been going on which didn't involve magic, and another simultaneously that did, I can easily imagine the one completely overwhelming the other.

Anyway, those are the opinions I've made from my experience.

(Lets out a deep breath) Well. It'll be great to have you in the RPG, Darth Tater. The Great Quest had very few people involved in it, even though those who were were very dedicated. It'll be fun to again be involved in one which has a lot of people in it.
Old 06-03-2001, 03:43 AM   #19
Mathron

Just a word - I, personally, am in favor of trimming back on magic, a bit, as... well, one of the great things of tolkiens world is how mysterious magic actually was. Gandalf, for example, is this powerful wizard - but rarely is seen using magic. When he does call upon his powers - such as against the Balrog - it makes it that much more spectacular.
Of course, since all of my characters have been quite magic heavy, I am quite guilty myself. ~grin~
Still, I think moving things to a slightly lower power base wouldn't hurt, and is somewhat more true to tolkien's world.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:06 PM   #20
Lief Erikson

Such as the earlier half of Fangorn Forest, before the balrog introduced himself.