Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2001, 01:35 AM   #1
Erewe

Huh?

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot, but...

What's an RPG, exactly? I have a general idea, but I'd appreciate it if someone could explain it to me. Thanks.

--Erewë
Old 08-06-2001, 01:49 AM   #2
bmilder

Welcome to the board :)

I'm sure some of the RPGers themselves could explain it better, but I'll have a go at it. RPG stands for Role Playing Game. Members of this message board take on the role of a character in a story, and then they act it out in posts. I haven't taken part in an RPG in a long while, but they are fun, if time-consuming (note the huge threads).
Old 08-06-2001, 01:54 AM   #3
Lief Erikson

Re: Huh?

The name stands for Role Playing Game. It is an interactive story involving several players. One person enters a post, such as:

Emwid cursed as he looked at the prisoners. Where was his sister? The cursed brat had escaped from among the others. But how? The secret pannels had been lost for centuries, he couldn't understand how she . . . Realization flared through his head.

"Captain Melwitz! Where is the Tobaoth Stone!? Bring it to me at once!"

"My lord," he said, a frown creasing his brow. "It has been missing since last night. At first we thought it was a natural accident, but . . ."

Emwid seized him by the throat and threw him back against the wall. "Do you realize what you've done! What you've allowed to do? She has escaped! My sister, the heir to the kingdom has escaped using that stone! If you'd told me before it could have been prevented! Can you possibly concieve of what you have caused . . . ?"

Anyway, there's the general idea of one post. You can be in charge of a particular character and other people are in charge of their own characters as well. One person sends a post, like the above and then another person sends another post, involving their character(s). Sometimes you involve yourselves in complex conversations with other players, and other times you actually make the conversation entirely yourself. It most of the way depends upon the importance of the conversation.

I'm probably getting more detailed than I have to. All you have to do is take a look at any one of the RPGs in this forum which are already made, and you'll get the general idea.
Old 08-06-2001, 03:17 AM   #4
Lief Erikson

It appears we were posting at the same time. Well, Erewe, you have your answer.
Old 08-06-2001, 11:27 PM   #5
Erewe

Thanks a lot! I'll check that out.

--Erewë
Old 08-07-2001, 12:01 AM   #6
Erewe

Ah! Yes! I checked out the beginning of the "World of Danger" thread. It's basically "pass the story", then? Except you only write for one character? I do that around the fire whenever I go camping! I think I'll wait until a new one gets started, though, as the World of Danger is pretty well progressed, and it'll give me time to make a character.

--Erewë
Old 08-08-2001, 03:56 AM   #7
Lief Erikson

Actually, in The World of Danger everyone is still only just preparing to go on the quest. They've only just begun to know each other, so you'd be welcome to join in.