Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > RPG Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-04-2000, 01:25 PM   #1
Ferr

Anyone good with Quenya?

Yello, peoples!

I'm faced with a dilemma...A year ago I started typing my old copy of Spell Law over into my PC. Later I added Rolemaster additional spell lists and I searched the net for cool pictures etc. Eventually I ended up with a digital (COMPLETE!) version of Spell Law...

As you might have guessed, I'm a dutch Gamemaster and I found it necessary for my campaign to re-type Spell Law. I thought it would be nice to translate the names of all the spells in Quenya to add depth and reality to the whole concept of magic casting in MERP.

BUT,
I have an old paperback verion of "Introduction to Elvish". I realized that most common words are not easily translated.
Thus my question for the guys who enjoy translating stuff + who want to make an contribution to the best role playing game ever....would someone please help me with this??

(As you might know, I.C.E. has completely stopped all production regarding MERP, so I think it's justified for us fanatics to make our own books available to all players who enjoy merping...)
Old 10-04-2000, 01:31 PM   #2
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Anyone good with Quenya?

I might help you... but don't ask too much, the "dictionnary" I have, I made up myself, so it's far from complete.
Old 10-04-2000, 01:41 PM   #3
Ferr

Thanx.. Do you know of any works that are more complete?

I understand that there are Language Societies all over the world, but not here in Holland. By-the-way, when I'm all done, I'm going to publish Spell Law on the Net, so I hope that there's someone capable enough to correctly translate everything. The version I have now is made up of very, very simple word-combinations...

I ruled that every Channeling spell needs to begin with the words, In the name of...(Nen-I-esse). So you might get:
Nen I esse Orome Guliath Luin Thalion. Which means casting a Lvl 9 "Channeling Shield" spell, from the Vala Orome. I don't know if I did the right translation here, but it's all I can come up with...And I so much want to be precise...
Old 10-04-2000, 03:47 PM   #4
Ghost of Gilthalion

I got this link from Michael Martinez' site:

Ardalambion

These guys have EVERYTHING.
Old 10-05-2000, 05:59 AM   #5
Ferr

Thank you very much Ghost...this looks like a usefull site...I'll let you know about my progress....

By the way, you can find me at pub6.ezboard.com/bpisbunker

See you later,
Old 10-15-2000, 04:36 AM   #6
Glorfindel 3018

Hey, cool, I'm interested in Quenya, too. I've been to Ardalambion numerous times. I really wish they'd just publish Tolkien's complete notes on the languages so we could actually learn Sindarin and some of the others. Oh well.

I've got "An Introduction to Elvish" as well, and it was difficult to get, being an out-of-print book and all. I found it through Amazon.com at some obscure little bookstore in England, and waited at least two months for it to arrive here in the States after I ordered it. It was well worth the wait, in my opinion, though!
Old 10-15-2000, 04:22 PM   #7
Xivigg

I want one too were can i find one ??
Old 10-16-2000, 06:04 PM   #8
Glorfindel 3018

Go to www.amazon.com and do a search on "Introduction to Elvish". The author's name is Jim Allen.
Old 10-16-2000, 09:32 PM   #9
RovingTurtle

How accurate is it?
Old 10-16-2000, 11:41 PM   #10
Xivigg

Thanks for your help
Old 10-17-2000, 04:41 AM   #11
Shanamir Duntak

Did you order one?
Old 10-17-2000, 05:33 AM   #12
Morkhon

Considering that it should be "Introduction to Elven", not "Elvish", I have doubts as to it's accuracy.
Old 10-17-2000, 04:25 PM   #13
Xivigg

0] Nope i still need to find the money before i can order it
Old 10-18-2000, 01:52 PM   #14
Glorfindel 3018

I have the book right in front of me. It's called "An Introduction to Elvish; and to other tongues and proper names and writing systems of the third age of the western lands of Middle Earth as set forth in the published writings of professor John Ronald Reuel Tolkien".

When compared with more recent developments at Ardalambion, no, it is not terribly accurate. But it is still very useful, and covers many interesting things other than just Quenya and Sindarin. Particularly useful are the (very concise) Quenya- and Sindarin-English dictionaries.

As for what it should be called, Tolkien himself referred to it as Elvish, while the adjective Elven was used for other purposes.
Old 10-27-2000, 06:36 PM   #15
Darth Tater

Ardalambion is better then any of the books out there.
Old 12-22-2000, 06:17 PM   #16
Eldoran LFD

I'm Dutch as well and I am putting together my own quenya->english and sindarin->english

I also have Introduction to elvish and I use that and other sources (many of which have already be named) to compile the dictionary.

contact me at eldoran_lfd@mail.com for any questions.