Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Character foils in Harry Potter

Post which two characters you think are foils, and why.

A character foil is two characters who are seeming opposites. This usually applies only to the main character, but I thought it would be interesting to look at all the foils in the Harry Potter books.

Good definition:
Quote:
A character foil is a character whose traits are in direct contrast to those of the principal character. The foil therefore highlights the traits of the protagonist. The foil is usually a minor character, although if there are two protagonists, they may be foils of each other.
Definition from literary elements.

First of all, I think Voldemort and Professor Dumbledore are the most clear foils in the series. Voldemort embodies all that is cruel, malicious, and evil, while Dumbledore is kind-hearted, and represents good. They are pretty much equal in terms of power, they both have a group of loyal followers - the Death Eaters versus the Order of the Phoenix.

Like Voldemort and Dumbledore are quite similar and yet opposite, the Death Eaters and the Order embody the same qualities as their leaders. The Death Eaters are either cruel or evil people who desire power above all else, or they are weaker wizards forced or tricked into membership. The members of the Order joined voluntarily, and are brave people who will make extreme sacrifces to fight for freedom and good.

Many argue that Harry and Voldemort are foils. However, I think my arguments above that it is V. and Dumbledore are much more compelling, however, I welcome debate.

So who is Harry's foil, you ask? Well, I think it is Draco Malfoy.

Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy are similar enough (as Dumbledore and Voldemort are) to make their differences meaningful. They are both Slytherin potentials, and reasonably good students. However, while Draco chose Slytherin, Harry chose Gryffindor. Harry is brave, and Malfoy is a coward and a tool. Harry has trouble in the dating department, while Malfoy is popular with the Slytherin girls. Harry comes by his Quidditch position through natural talent, and Malfoy (even though he doesn't stink) bought his way on to the team. They each have two best friends, though like Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle are tools. Like Harry, Ron and Hermione are both smart, brave individuals who think for themselves.

Harry and Malfoy are the perfect character foils, and not just because they hate each other's guts.

Who else do you think are foils?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ

Last edited by Nurvingiel : 01-03-2005 at 12:41 PM.
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Whee, I'm so glad you ended up making this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
First of all, I think Voldemort and Professor Dumbledore are the most clear foils in the series.
Another point that you mentioned but didn't elaborate on is that they are both commonly acknowledged to be the most powerful wizards of their time (if not of all time). Voldemort is freely called "the most evil wizard of all time", whereas Dumbledore, obviously, sets himself against Voldemort.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
sirigorn
Elven Warrior

I agree, Dumbledore and Voldemort seem to be clear foils to me. And I agree with you about Harry and Draco as well, that was what immediatly popped to mind.

Seems a bit strange, but the twins and Percy seem to be foils to me, too. Obviously they come from the same background, being brothers, but they ended up totally different. While they're all VERY ambitious, the twins know to put family before work and are immensly loyal. Percy, however, puts work first and even needs to be reminded that "Christmas is a time for family."- by the twins, no less. Percy is a total rule freak, and the twins are, well, not. And they would by no means want to be a prefect, yet that is Percy's greatest achievement. Unless that was becoming Head Boy.
-Two Towers extended DVD

I'm wearing black for Black.

Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out!~Captain Jack Sparrow, Pirates of the Caribbean
sirigorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 AM   #4
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirigorn
Seems a bit strange, but the twins and Percy seem to be foils to me, too.
I agree with you. It's probably not a major point, but they're also described as having sort of opposite body types (Percy=gangly, Fred & George=stocky)

Old 01-05-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
inked
Elf Lord

Well, I think HP and Voldemort are foils, not D and V. D's foil is more like to be the Minister of Magic. Note that D taught both V and H. But the very first time we meet H we find that he has bested V. So from intro to current OotP, its H vs V. We have only one confrontation between D and V, and NOTE that it was H who again beat V, not D!
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Actually in book five, Dumbledore was the one Voldemort feared, not Harry. However, you do make good points.

Dumbledore and Fudge are excellent foils as well. I think it's possible for there to be more than one in a book.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 02:59 PM   #7
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
Well, I think HP and Voldemort are foils, not D and V. D's foil is more like to be the Minister of Magic. Note that D taught both V and H. But the very first time we meet H we find that he has bested V. So from intro to current OotP, its H vs V. We have only one confrontation between D and V, and NOTE that it was H who again beat V, not D!
Well, are we discussing antagonism or foils? Maybe I'm mistaken, but I believe that foil means someone who serves as a direct contrast (or opposite) to another. What you are saying points out (correctly, I think) that Harry and Voldemort are each other's nemeses, but in terms of character, Voldemort and Dumbledore seem to me to be more clearly defined foils.

Quote:
D's foil is more like to be the Minister of Magic.
*blink* How so? I'm intrigued; can you elaborate a little more?

Last edited by Minielin : 01-05-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-05-2005, 05:41 PM   #8
inked
Elf Lord

Fudge is the opposite in characteristics of Dumbledore, if you reflect on it. There is antagonism between Voldemort and all the good guys as well, but the deliberate pairing of V and H is quite daring. We know that V is Tom Riddle gone bad, and since evil is monotonous in is eventuation, JKR daringly shows us the development of the GOOD in HP.

In thier foil-ish way, Dumbledore is an achieved "good guy" who successfully defeated Grindewald, and Fudge is a self-oriented blighter who refused to see and deal with a retuned V.

Need I say more?
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh...come on! Say more! How about Hermione and Luna...or are they just "different"?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
inked
Elf Lord

Lizra,

Hermione and Luna are foils as well. Hermione is virtually all intellect and logic and rationality. Luna is intuitive, unaffected by rational thought, and other-worldly. They are foils!

How much more do you want?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh geez! Don't get me started Inky-poo!
Old 01-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #12
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Hermione and Luna are foils as well.
I' agree completely with that.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #13
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

How about Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy. Both are pure blood wizards, but A is very interested in Muggles whereas L hates them and everything to do with them. A is a member of the OotP and L is a Death Eater. Both have sons attending Hogwarts who also hate each other.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
How about Arthur Weasley and Lucius Malfoy.
Ooh, yes... that didn't occur to me but it's definitely there...

Old 01-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #15
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I keep thinking of the Weasley twins...being so funny and fuul of humour and life...who are they foils to?

Last edited by Lizra : 01-07-2005 at 06:05 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #16
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
I keep thinking of the Weasley twins...being so funny and fuul of humour and life...who are they foil's to?
Percy? (see above)

Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM   #17
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Oh, yeah. Arthur and Lucius... that's a true foil, right there. They completely loathe each other. Much like Dumbledore and Voldemort, actually.

EDIT: Whoopsies, posted as Ethi. This is Sirigorn, by the way.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."

Last edited by ethuiliel : 01-08-2005 at 12:43 AM.
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
inked
Elf Lord

Crabbe / Goyle vs Hermione / Ron

Hagrid vs Filch

Old 01-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #19
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh man! That actor that plays Filch in the movies is creepy GREAT! "Love him!".... in all his creepy glory!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
Katt_knome_hobbit
Dead

Location: on the floor, under the table, just to your left, your other left
Quote:
Crabbe / Goyle vs Hermione / Ron

Hagrid vs Filch

Nah, Crabbe/Goyle vs Nevil/Ginny. Its the bullies vs the bullied syndrome.

Anyway, Harry's very obvious foil is Draco because Draco wants to become a Death Eater and Harry wants to become an Auror for the Order of the Pheonix.

But on a very philisophical level, Harry's foil is himself, because one part of him wants to be the hero, another wants to be normal, and a deep dark one wants to be evil. It is the same thing with every teenager in real life, and it wouldn't be a good story without the inner turmoil.

moop

I thought that Alcohol was just for those with nothing else to do.
I thought that drinking just to get drunk was a waste of precious booze.
But now I know that there's a time and there's a place where I can choose
To walk the fine line between self control and self abuse.

"Lacerations make complications, but welts go away in a day."
Katt_knome_hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote