Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-19-1999, 04:51 AM   #1
bmilder

Hi

Well, I just created this new forum. If you haven't heard of him, Raymond E. Feist wrote The Riftwar Saga series among other books set in the fantasy worlds of Midkemia and Kelewan. I liked this series a lot . I'm trying this forum out to see if anyone posts here... it could attract more visitors, encourage posting by existing members, or just get ignored :P.
Old 11-19-1999, 05:08 AM   #2
anduin

Darnit, Ben...

I was just in the middle of writing the first post to this forum when I got bumped off. Then I come back, only to find, you had beaten me to it! :P I really don't know too much about The Riftwar Saga because, I am only in the beginning chapters of Magician. Still, I love to discuss the books I am currently reading. Any takers?
Old 11-19-1999, 06:39 AM   #3
Ryan6233

Re: Darnit, Ben...

Anyone want to explain what the hell the riftwar saga is?
Old 11-19-1999, 07:36 AM   #4
galadriel1

Re: series

I don`t know tha series.Can you give us a brief synopsis? Is it an older or newer series
Old 11-19-1999, 01:27 PM   #5
anduin

Re: series

bmilder, you'll have to answer Ryan6233's question. galadriel1, Magician was written in 1982...I believe it is the first in the series. Hey Ben, why don't you tell us how the books are broken down, what comes after Magician, etc.
Old 11-19-1999, 10:48 PM   #6
bmilder

books

Well... The Riftwar Series consists of: Magician: Apprentice Magician: Master (Note: While it was originally one book, it's divided into the two titles I mentioned these days) Silverthorn A Darkness at Sethanon Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer There are other series set in the same worlds, but by the time you get that far you'll know what they are :P. The story (note: minor spoilers) chronicles the life of Pug, the apprentice to the wizard Kulgan, who is destined to become a Master Magician. Near the beginning of his apprenticeship, he and his friend Tomas discover an alien shipwreck. This marks the first appearance of the Tsurani, a race from the world of Kelewan that can enter the world of Midkemia through magical rifts. The Riftwar occurs. After the Riftwar ends, the series continues with the further adventures of Pug, Tomas, and the royal family. It's fascinating how in every other book, they discover that their present enemy is just the pawn of a greater enemy. You don't discover the greatest enemy until.. I think the Serpentwar Series or so :P. I hope that was brief enough...
Old 11-21-1999, 12:21 AM   #7
Elanor

More

"The Riftwar Series consists of: . Magician: Apprentice . Magician: Master . Silverthorn . A Darkness at Sethanon . Prince of the Blood and . The King's Buccaneer" Good, but there's more. I've read them all: . Daughter of the Empire . Servant of the Empire . Mistress of the Empire These are cowritten with Janny Wurts and take place on Kelewan (the world on the other side of the rift), very cool, and span the time period from the beginning of the Riftwar to somewhere between _A Darkness and _Prince, I think. Then there's the Serpentwar Saga: . Shadow of a Dark Queen . Rise of a Merchant Prince . Rage of a Demon King . Shards of a Broken Crown . By the end of these, most of our favorite characters from the original story are dead, but there are plenty of new ones to take their places. And even higher-up manipulators are exposed! Gods and demons and such. Macros is not quite what he pretended to be. I love Nakor!!!! . And that's not quite all! The newest is _Krondor: A Betrayal_, which is stuck in right after _A Darkness and tells us about other things we didn't know were going on, with the moredhel and stuff. Also connects to _Mistress. I think he's even starting a whole new series based on these characters, but I'm not sure. . These are definitely very cool books, but not as good as LotR in my opinion. But easy and fun to read. Elanor the golden flower
Old 11-21-1999, 12:34 AM   #8
bmilder

good, at least someone else has read it :)

Yeah, I've read the Serpentwar Saga too but I never got around to that Empire trilogy or Krondor. Is that connected to the game at all? I downloaded it but couldn't really get into it. I like Nakor too Anyone want an <font color=orange>orange</font>?
Old 11-21-1999, 01:05 AM   #9
anduin

Re: good, at least someone else has read it :)

Wow I had no idea how many books were involved....my boss, the one who turned me on to the first book, didn't mention all of those. I must admit I have been having trouble getting into it...I keep comparing it to LOTR. I know that I shouldn't and have vowed to give it a second chance. Mainly, because my boss said he would give LOTR a second chance...he wasn't very successful on the first read. I will keep you posted on my progress, in case anyone cares
Old 11-21-1999, 01:37 AM   #10
dmaul96

Re: good, at least someone else has read it :)

I think I should take control of this forum, considering I possess more knowledge about the rift wars than all of you combined.
Old 11-21-1999, 02:34 AM   #11
Elanor

favorite characters

How's that? Well, I vote for Jimmy the Hand as my favorite character, and I like Arakasi too (empire). Maybe it's the sneaky thing. Does anyone else hate Roo as much as me? I'd like an orange, please. Elanor
Old 11-27-1999, 06:34 AM   #12
Gimli the Dwarf

Re: favorite characters

I think that these books are really cool, though I've only gotten to The Darkness of Sethanon. I like Pug and Arutha, and Tomas too. Jimmy is also a cool character. Elanor, are all those other books as good as the original Riftwar Saga?
Old 11-27-1999, 07:18 AM   #13
Elanor

Re: favorite characters

Sometimes. There are parts and characters I like better, but other parts that kind of stink.
Old 01-30-2000, 05:31 PM   #14
Hernalt

Here's my "Hi" to this forum.

Ok - So Riftware expands on the Herbert-DUNE motif of "feints within feints within feints". Very good. I love the System Network Architecture (SNA) of evilness. Parallel mirror images collide in a cacophony of minute permutations that scale and twist into the virtual distance. (We used to have a small mirror on the bathroom closet door parallel/opposite the large window-size mirror over the sink/cabinet. Blew my mind and scarred me for life. Don't do this to YOUR children.) But riddle me this: How can books that set up a web of ascending reflective hierarchy be "Easy Reading"? [JimCarry]HmMMM???[/JimCarry]
Old 01-30-2000, 08:17 PM   #15
bmilder

Re: Here's my "Hi" to this forum.

Heh. Anyway, obviously this forum has been converted into a Fantasy forum, not solely Riftwar.